W.O.W= why? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-25-07, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Firewolf's Flag is: Scotland

W.O.W= why?

>>What is the big deal with world of warcraft? Have been playing it for 3wks and I am bored to tears. All the mangy badger killing and flower picking is destroying me. 8 a month to play a game is bad enough, but for this its daylight robbery. Wheres the RvR part, or am I just a tool? Sorry, but never thought 8 million plus people could be so wrong!!

------------------------------------------------------
>> This is just an opinion. If you agree with it cool. If ye dont, its still cool.
>> Here I am and here shall I die.
+++ attributed to Leman Russ at the Battle of Rising Fell +++
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-25-07, 09:59 PM
Powered by Squig Tea

Viscount Vash's Flag is: England

I have lost 2 regular gamers to this, one of which I work with, they are both really into it.
They play on bronzebeard ones a guild master and its all they bleeding do or talk about.

The chap I work with has started selling off all is spare 40k stuff though which I have benifited by the Forge World Administratum building, a fair bit of Marine and Tau too.

Im staying away from it, sounds like a brain sucker, I have taken the micky a little saying he has the music in his head as we work and my window cleaning equipment is better than his because I have ablue bucket on a belt and his is only a green.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-25-07, 10:46 PM

I've never understood it, but I never understood the Doom craze 10 years ago either, I guess its another one of those.

I played for a couple weeks as well and got similarly bored to tears. Its nothing but subpar quests, mindless killing, and never ending xp chasing (though once you get to max level you're done there).

I need more of a point to a MMPORG than that. Star Wars Galaxies was the complete PERFECT system until Sony decided to ruin the entire Star Wars Mythos in one fell swoop and all creativity was soon replaced by neverending profession grinding. I'd still love to slap whoever was the focal point of that idea. You could be successful in the game without ever firing a shot (I myself was a pacifistic, merchant/doctor and one of the most successful on my server after release).

Unfortunately I don't see anything similar on the horizon anytime soon, so I will opt to forego MMPORG's until I see one that fits the bill...
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-25-07, 10:48 PM

Oh, and Vash... I feel like I always have to stare hard at your sig line to see the secret picture hidden within :D
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-07, 04:32 AM
Banned

The reason WoW is so damn successful is easy. It is extremely accessible, in that you have to make a specific effort not to have an oppportunity to play the game at some point, and simplicity, in that it is playable by anybody who can read text and press buttons, and even then there's some who can't. This ludicrous simplicity and ultra-basic playability means that, while a great many people do not like the game, the sheer numbers of people who have been exposed to it means that that small percentage is converted almost entirely into playerbase, something never really done before by gaming. Also, as a direct result of this, the only way for WoW to lose the mighty grip it has on its niche is for somebody to come along and beat it in terms of accessibility, simplicity, and quality. As this would take an economic investment of such scale it's beyond the reach of all but a handful of gaming companies, it won't happen for a long time, when WoW players begin to lose interest in the game faster than new ones play. As the game has hit market saturation point, that's going to start happening soon.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-27-07, 01:37 AM
Banned
Wrath of Khaine's Flag is: USA

A friend tried to get me involved with WoW. I tried it at his house for maybe 20 minutes and immediately hated it. Besides the terrible graphics for 8 year old kids, the game just had no real appeal. The only factor I liked was the ability to equip items to every body part, which better rpgs already have. Not really impressed in the slightest. I think Neverwinter Nights(the first one) was a better online game, with better conversations and a better community. Then comes the original Galaxies, which was great but work and relationship kept me away. Beating those, is still the 2d Ultima shards around the net. Brilliant to this day.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-27-07, 01:43 AM

Anphicar's Flag is: USA

Being able to choose class/race design-a-face and tons of gear to win/buy.

Camaraderie is supposedly big.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-27-07, 01:50 AM
Slave to Heresy!

Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

I was the first level 60 on the EU Dragonblight 15 days after release.

Grimble the troll hunter. We had some fun - if I had the technical knowledge I have now the guild I created would of easily been top.

But I hear ye, the game is childishly shit - imo...

Wow, another mob.
Wow, another mob.

and on...
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-27-07, 02:47 AM

damn, 15 days? So I'll bet it felt good to sleep again after all that time away ;)
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-27-07, 03:46 AM

DaemonsR'us's Flag is: USA

Meh for MMO's i dont really like Warcraft its just TOO simple no story behind it really, just kill kill kill
I personally like Final Fantasy XI theres a good amount of story, the quests actually are somewhat detialed in story when you get to some of the higher up ones and *GASP!* it requires some thinking :shock:

Word Bearers
W L D
16 1 3
Ultrasmurfs
W L D
6 3 1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode