SSF4 - Ryu & F*cking Ken - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-11, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Default SSF4 - Ryu & F*cking Ken

Hey everyone.

Basically this is a rant/discussion.

That means I have a legitimate discussion that I will talk about and a rant as well.

Discussion

I just purchased Super Street Fighter 4 for the PS3 and am really enjoying the game. I haven't played it since Street Fighter II for the SNES a long time ago. All my fav characters are back and look better than ever. My favs being all the 'classics' i.e. Blanka, Vega, E.Honda, Chung Li and some of the new characters are cool too, although there are a few to many versions of Ryu and Ken, with uppercuts, fireballs etc.

So I guess, what I want to discuss is, does anyone else have the game? What do you think of it? Who is your favourite character etc?

Rant

The rant aspect has to do with the online component of the game.

Basically this is the part where you get to compete against other human players ... duh ... and should be the funnest part of the game IMO ... but ... the entire experience is sullied by people always choosing Ryu or Ken (mostly the latter).

I've played about 30 matches online and about 25 of them have been either on of these two, or their carbon copy style friends.

There are 35 characters for crying out loud, how about some variety!!!

Personally I like Ryu and Ken and would use them from time to time, but they are spammed so much it's not worth it as I feel I'll be contributing to the damn problem.

Then as well as that, when someone does use another character, that usually means they are super amazingly awesome with that character, so for a newbie like me, seeing anyone but Ryu and Ken is a probem as well.

So talk about a catch 22.

Anyway, what say you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-11, 03:33 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

No, I don't, but it's the same thing with all games.

Medal of Honour pre patch - it'd be rare you were killed a weapon aside from an M24/SV98 lulz
Black Ops Pre 1.06 - Ak74 Rapid Fire lulz. Now it's Famas Silenced lulz.
MW2 - OMA Danger Close Noob Tubes, model 1887 akimbo/AA12 RDS + Thermal Snipers lulz.
W@W - MG42 Extended Lulz
Cod4 - M16 lulz.
Dawn of War - Eldar
Dark Crusade - Necrons

Seriously, every game you get will be unbalanced, and everyone will want to choose the better gun/character. It's a fact of life, and unfortunately, it's up to the developers to sort it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-11, 04:03 PM

TheSpore's Flag is: USA

Well i can slightly agree with this it is true there are too many ryu and ken clones. Which is why I use chun li and cammy ost of the time. That and if im gonna be staring two peopel fighting one of them better be fun to look at (jk)

The same goes with well some of the old mortal kombat games look at how many diffrent scorpian clones have been around.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-11, 09:14 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpore View Post
The same goes with well some of the old mortal kombat games look at how many diffrent scorpian clones have been around.
None. All of the various clan characters have had inherent differences.

Mortal Kombat is also one of, if not the best balanced fighter I can think of. Which is strange as it's probably also the most over-the-top.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-11, 09:52 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

So your issue is that people are playing two characters who are considered high tier and are rather easy to use as they have the most basic of move sets?

Most of the SF4 players have moved to Super SF4 or MvC3 which is why I'd guess you're seeing only newbies or amazing players.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-11, 10:03 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

The shotokans are a mainstay throughout SSF, and virtually anyone who has owned a (proper) console knows how to play them, they are always going to be the most played characters.

Ken also has a really solid range of specials for nearly any situation, all of which pack a decent punch. Getting 'good' with Ken is fairly simple compared to the time you need to invest to get to the same level of ability with Guile or Zangief.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode