League of Legends! - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-03-11, 09:33 PM

BrainFreeze

Heh i guess having a logong since beta makes it easy to keep your normal name.

Necrons 2-1-0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-07-11, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Riven and Xerath are fucking fun in both SR and Dominion.

That is all.

post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-08-11, 04:30 AM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
Because LoL's devteam is led by one of the original developers and is geared for ever-expanding content. DotA, however, is limited by the engine as to what can be done with it. Some people prefer it, but that's just preference (and why DotA 2 is being made).

Heroes of Newerth is basically DotA for people who hate themselves and want to be a snidey cunt about everyone who doesn't fit their opinion of how people should play. It's got a lot of nice features and does work very well, but unfortunately they're overshadowed by the piss-poor community even in comparison to other MOBA games.

Also, Icefrog is a cock.
I wouldnt take this so seriously. LoL has his own share of jerks at higher ranked matches, not as much as HoN its true but still. HoN has so much more during every phase of game going on, no wonder some people feel need to rage. Even early laning phase (about 15 mins) is crucial to many classes. You just dont collect money from every creep, you deny farm from opponent aswell or gank his hard carry so he cant get his items for lategame. LoL has ganking element too, but when you dont lose anything from dying, some heroes dont have target mark painted on half of game. To me HoN is way more enjoyable to play than LoL even though community is more anxious of its game.

I still play few matches of LoL every week, but more cause of its easier and relaxed atmosphere. But when i want compititive play, HoN with its metagames takes top position everytime.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-08-11, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

See, I'd say the complete opposite for competitive play.

Yes, HoN has different attitude about it, but when you talk about competitive gaming, I instantly think of casting and tournaments. The mechanics of HoN/DotA are needlessly convoluted for an eSport and frankly, denying and avoiding fights more often than not just doesn't make for a good spectator show. HoN is a nice remake of DotA for those who can't be bothered to reinstall Frozen Throne, but as said before, there's a multitude of reasons why Pendragon and Guinsoo wanted to redesign the game from the ground up.

There's also a reason that S2 are flagging horribly and why their game is dropping players like flies. When DotA2 is released, they'll have literally no reason for HoN to exist as it stands. The game they made so close to the original it could have only been to avoid having to install Warcraft 3 will be obsolete as DotA will now be stand-alone and with the massive support and improvements of Valve.

On the other end of the spectrum, Riot with LoL are geared so heavily towards pushing out spectator-friendly games with their fast paced, no-holds-barred and more gladiatorial game. In this, LoL gives that action side that DotA and HoN won't, and because of their nature, can't bring. This isn't a bad thing in the slightest, but people have to see that they're quite simply not the same game in anything but the map. It's akin to comparing Battlefield to Quake, which is quite frankly ridiculous unless you stoop so low as to argue "Hurr durr they both have guns!"

Just as soon as they get a working spectator/caster mode added to LoL, I can't see anything stopping it at all in the tournament/competitive scene.

Note that this isn't really opinion, so much as simple observation on the state of the genre and the competitive scene it has behind it.

As for the community, LoL does have a share of assclowns, but you tend to find them more in the low ELO ranges than the high, as you suggest. I found that HoN's angst only got higher the better rank you became, which was kind of depressing as I was really trying to enjoy the game. Eventually, I realized that I'd be better off going back to just playing DotA.

Finally, I wouldn't call LoL easier. It's less complex in mechanics, but taking the focus away from the creeps puts a tonne more focus on the human element which is inherently much less predictable. It's less 'follow this plan and it'll be okay' and a lot more 'Have to adapt and be constantly aware of everything'. Here we see the 'Battlefield vs. Quake' element at its clearest.

There's a massive evolving metagame waiting to be found in LoL, but the nature of solo queuing makes the current 'tanky DPS top, solo mid, AD/support bot and a roaming jungler' work amongst uncoordinated groups. It's like why people will just mass lings or stalkers in a PUG teamgame of Starcraft 2. You don't know your team-mates so you resort to faceroll 101.

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-16-11, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Season 2 Mastery change is pretty goddamn awesome from playing with it after some theorycrafting. Junglers have reason to actually branch out from the old ' one for all' setting. Also, an early 3% lifesteal on jungle Shyvana is pretty goddamn awesome!

I do forsee some angry Jax players in the near future, but they play Jax so don't really count.

post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-16-11, 08:04 AM

Dawnstar's Flag is: New Zealand

Quote:
I do forsee some angry Jax players in the near future, but they play Jax so don't really count.
Heh

I like that you can actually have an AP Mastery build now as well, and the AD Masteries get a lot better. Although I do think the Spell Vamp should be in the Offensive tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Mate, bacon can do anything.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-16-11, 06:48 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Season 2 Mastery change is pretty goddamn awesome from playing with it after some theorycrafting. Junglers have reason to actually branch out from the old ' one for all' setting. Also, an early 3% lifesteal on jungle Shyvana is pretty goddamn awesome!

Yeah, I really like the new mastery builds as well. Playing as a jungle Xin I don't even need smite. It just speeds up the process now and is no longer a required summoner skill.

Plus the new builds are really helping me out with Wukong.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-16-11, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusword77 View Post
Yeah, I really like the new mastery builds as well. Playing as a jungle Xin I don't even need smite. It just speeds up the process now and is no longer a required summoner skill.

Plus the new builds are really helping me out with Wukong.
It's worth taking smite just to out-jungle your opponent. The faster your clear time, the more time you can spend ganking , pushing or counter-jungling. Can't say I've ever tried Xin though. Shyvana, Shaco and Riven all the way.

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-16-11, 09:10 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
It's worth taking smite just to out-jungle your opponent. The faster your clear time, the more time you can spend ganking , pushing or counter-jungling. Can't say I've ever tried Xin though. Shyvana, Shaco and Riven all the way.
Oh I agree and I will still take smite, I'm just happy it's not a 100% required skill to take when I play as jungle Xin anymore. So if I screw up and forget to take it I can still jungle.

Playing as Xin is a good time, but he's been nerfed into the ground. I like using him to jungle because he's strong enough in all areas that I can switch up my role as the team needs. His lack of an escape is his only real weakness in the jungle
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-16-11, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

I really don't think Xin is as nerfed as people like to say, especially with the new masteries.

He's one of those 'jack of all, master of none' kind of champs now, whereas he was definitely way, way overpowered in the past. You can still faceroll with him and win no problem. He just still wouldn't be a jungle pick I'd go to over...Just about anyone, actually. Mostly as I much prefer him in lane.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode