DoW II Retribution opinions - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-11, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Default DoW II Retribution opinions

This is probably gona be one of the more talked about topics in the next few weeks, but whatever.

Now that people are starting to get their hands on the game, and play it, what does it feel like?

I was particulary wondering, what do you think about the story?

I have heard that it has been said to be weak.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/02/25...n-video-review

Share your opinions!

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-11, 07:42 PM

First off a disclaimer: I'm only part way into the Chaos campaign.

I wouldn't be surprised if the story was weaker than DoWII or Chaos Rising, due to their being 6 campaigns instead of 1. I would imagine they tie in together, but so far I've only played part of the Chaos campaign.

I love the changes they've made. It isn't as big a change as Dark Crusade was for the first game, but it does improve replayability by a lot. Not only do you have different campaigns, but you have different heroes, which you can choose to bring or not. If not they can still give benefits to your army, and you can bring an honor guard instead.

It seems like there are a lot more choices between missions, which I love, though the missions structure is much the same. "Travel through a corridor level killing enemies until you get to the end and maybe have a boss fight". This isn't a bad thing if you liked DoWII, and they have toned down the boss fights for this expansion so it feels less cheap.

Basically I think it's a great addition and it's going to make me fall behind even further on my painting, as if Rift wasn't doing that already.

(MILD SPOILERS BELOW! If you don't want to see them, then this post is done for you)

So far I've fought a Dreadnaught and a Baneblade as bosses, and the baneblade I didn't even attack, just ran from until I could find a way to destroy it, which I felt was pretty accurate what with having only a handful of guys and no explosives. Sure on the tabletop I might have had powerclaws or something, but I had nothing of the sort here. It was a fun map too, with me running and trying to avoid the tank, and it tearing through the forest after me.

(SPOILERS END!)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-11, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Aah, cool to hear.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-11, 10:29 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'm very happy with the multiplayer aspect, I've played the beta quite a bit, and very much enjoyed the Noise Marines addition, especially their Slaanesh style quotes.

"Hear this dirge and despair!"

Don't have access to campaign yet but this Friday I will, plus I get the limited gear for all races. So looking forward to that . Maybe this time Chaos will be the canon victor... its a long shot hope but its possible, so i'll focus on that.

Lord of the Night

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-11, 02:35 AM
Making Vidya Games

ThatOtherGuy's Flag is: USA

This review summarizes my opinion: http://www.gamepro.com/article/revie...i-retribution/

In other words:

Pros - IMPERIAL GUARD!!!! FUCK YEAH!!!

Cons - Still shitty ai, uninspiring campaign, and even with the new map, last stand still gets boring really fast.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-11, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

How many Last Stand maps are there anyway? Did we get a new one in "Chaos Rising" and a third one here?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode