dawn of war vs. starcraft - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-29-08, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyalist42 View Post
i'm not saying there isn't an economy in either game. i'm simply saying that the entire focus of those games is military. for example, the only conditions for victory involve either the destruction of enemy units/installations or the holding of certain points, both of which can only be obtained through military action. by contrast, AoE allows victory both through economic means (building a Monument) and religious means (capturing every relic). though it is necessary to defend both of these conditions, i think it makes a huge difference.

also, i've always had a bone to pick with the fact that the only way to enhance your economy is essentially to build more workers, collection points, what have you. that's one of my favorite things about AoE...you can enhance the productivity of the workers you already have.

hope that clarifies my views
Ahhhhh, I understand now. Yeah, I agree that the victory conditions in SC are fairly limited (aka there's only one ). I'd have to commend DoW though, it has a fairly wide-range of different ways to win.

Now I'm getting nostalgic about AoE; I can rememeber frantically right-clicking on enemy workers with my masses'o'death as they're constructing a Monument. Good times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-16-08, 05:43 PM

Lorgars_Champion's Flag is: USA

Here's a better question: Which is going to be better, StarCraft II or Dawn of War II?
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-16-08, 07:50 PM

Morgal's Flag is: Canada

Both look awsome nd it is to early to tell.
I'm a sc fan boy but i almost want to say dow2 will be more fun.

Yeah, well the Space Marines never dropped forty thousand feet in a drop pod WITHOUT power armor.
-Lt.Hperon of the Olympian 125th "Hell Troopers"[KIA]
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-16-08, 08:16 PM
The Hammer of Olympia

BlackApostleVilhelm's Flag is: USA

i believe that dow2 will win hands down. sc2 does look amazing but as of now i really think dow2 will be better.

Here is the beginning of my fluff for my Iron Warriors Eighth Grand Company http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=51842

"A fortress is a living thing: the commander its brain, the walls its bones, the sensors its eyes and ears, the troops its blood, their weapons its fists. This tells us two things: If one organ fails, the whole dies. And if the whole dies, no single organ can survive alone."
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-16-08, 08:45 PM

kungfoomasta's Flag is: USA

Starcraft has been the best rts for so long that i think some change will be good. also i really hope they dont screw everything over in Starcraft II because i love the original and it would make me sad. DoW is more complex and is better for actually makeing strategy where in Starcraft its simply who rushes who first or whos got the most carriers(unless ur zerg =) overall the games are close but as of now im with DoW

Never doubt the incompetence of your commisar.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-16-08, 08:52 PM

Lorgars_Champion's Flag is: USA

Ironically, StarCraft never would have happened if not for Warhammer. (It's true. Warcraft was originally going to be a Warhammer game, but the contracting fell through, and so Blizzard decided to turn it into a new game entirely. StarCraft was based upon Warcraft and 40k.)
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-17-08, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorgars_Champion View Post
Ironically, StarCraft never would have happened if not for Warhammer. (It's true. Warcraft was originally going to be a Warhammer game, but the contracting fell through, and so Blizzard decided to turn it into a new game entirely. StarCraft was based upon Warcraft and 40k.)
You do realise Warcraft I AND II came out before Starcraft?
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-17-08, 10:40 PM
The Hammer of Olympia

BlackApostleVilhelm's Flag is: USA

this is true

yeah but the tabletop game has been around for ages

Here is the beginning of my fluff for my Iron Warriors Eighth Grand Company http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=51842

"A fortress is a living thing: the commander its brain, the walls its bones, the sensors its eyes and ears, the troops its blood, their weapons its fists. This tells us two things: If one organ fails, the whole dies. And if the whole dies, no single organ can survive alone."

Last edited by Galahad; 05-18-08 at 01:37 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode