dawn of war vs. starcraft - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-25-08, 03:37 PM

blitz451's Flag is: USA

It's always been my tactic to get the first strike. I like to be on my opponents side of the map if not in his base within the first 3 minutes of the game. That's why i like DoW, it really rewards you for being aggressive.

"You are what you do when it counts"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-25-08, 06:52 PM

Death 0F Angels's Flag is: USA

Starcraft all the way. I played Starcraft for years, still play the campaigns every once in a while. I played DoW for 2 months and got board with it. Seems everytime i got online i was dusted by massed marines. Maybe i didnt play it long enough but there just didnt seem to be much strat to it but getting your tech tree up(i could be very wrong here). Starcraft has tons of strats and counters. DoW seems very much once someone gets the upper hand your through. Starcraft i have pulled wins out of devastion.

Trust is a dagger, the hilt as sharp as the blade.
Death to the Imperial dogs.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-08, 07:03 AM

heliosmj12's Flag is: Australia

heres my view DoW sucks and SC rocks the socks!!!

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-08, 12:53 AM

Redscare's Flag is: USA

I really have to say... I think Starcraft sucks in almost every way. I find controlling a mindless horde of sprites across a "battlefield' where I have to micromanage everything from their bowel movements to who knows what else is obscenely boring. And the grand tactical angle is "attack that blob of crap over there" while zooming back and forth between the unfolding rock paper scissors horde battle and my building queue's and little farmer gatherer tools who would have no place on the battlefield to begin with.

It might sound like I hate RTS games in general, but its not that. I liked dawn of war better because it felt more like I was in a real "battle" where resource gathering and pumping out hordes was less of a goal than taking strategic points and focusing tactically on squad movements.

Not to mention SC is a cookie cutter dumbed down version of 40k, just like another franchise that comes to mind I think its called War(generic)aft

Last edited by Redscare; 04-27-08 at 12:58 AM.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-08, 01:22 AM

Of course people are entitled to their own opinions, but in my opinion DoW has almost nothing on Starcraft.

The way I see it, if you want to play a real-time STRATEGY game, you play Starcraft.

If you're into explosions, flashy graphics and big armies play DoW.

Seems like a bit of a one-sided argument, but I do play both games, and DoW is something I'll play once in a blue moon for a couple of muck around games, but Starcraft is something I'll keep coming back to. It's far better balanced, and once you get into the micro/macro, you have so much more to take into consideration.

I don't really get how it's a massive 40k rip off either. You can't really label every element in a genre a rip-off from something that pre-dates it. If that was the case, the whole genre would stagnate. It'd be like telling people that you shouldn't make fantasy settings after D&D, otherwise you'd just be ripping it off.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-08, 02:30 AM

loyalist42's Flag is: USA

i play both, but to be perfectly honest, i find them relatively shallow.

for me, the key lies in the fact that neither game is economically driven. they both involve the collection of very few resources (vespene gas and mineral in SC, requisition and those artifact points in DoW). this focusses the game squarely upon combat...which isn't a bad thing. i just find that economic dimension lacking.

my personal favorite RTS is Age of Empires (II with the Conquerer's Expansion). that particular game is economically driven; you can't win without paying very close attention to your economy. contrast that with SC and DoW, where upgrades to your resource-gathering capability are completely nonexistant. i find this makes the game a bit more mindless. that isn't to say i don't enjoy playing either of these games...i just find AoE more engaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navar89
if I hang out with you any more I just might pick up 40K...You, sir, are dangerous.

Holy shit, I've a plog again!
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-08, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz451 View Post
However there have been vast improvements to the genre and technology in general in the last decade that make DoW a far superior game.
I don't understand what makes DoW 'far superior'. DoW obviously takes the lead when it comes to graphics/effects, but graphics alone doesn't make one game better than another.

You can argue gameplay for DoW is better, but that's an opinion, and it's in cases like this where things get a bit mixed up -- If you like one game more than another, that's all well and good; but that doesn't automatically elevate that game to a higher status (except in your own books of course ).
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-08, 11:05 AM

heliosmj12's Flag is: Australia

If you say DoW is a far better game than SC, of course it is you fool it came out like 10 years after SC came out and there have been many advances in computing technology since then, but SC has held up against the test of time and not faded out like some games do.

post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-08, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyalist42 View Post
i play both, but to be perfectly honest, i find them relatively shallow.

for me, the key lies in the fact that neither game is economically driven. they both involve the collection of very few resources (vespene gas and mineral in SC, requisition and those artifact points in DoW). this focusses the game squarely upon combat...which isn't a bad thing. i just find that economic dimension lacking.

my personal favorite RTS is Age of Empires (II with the Conquerer's Expansion). that particular game is economically driven; you can't win without paying very close attention to your economy. contrast that with SC and DoW, where upgrades to your resource-gathering capability are completely nonexistant. i find this makes the game a bit more mindless. that isn't to say i don't enjoy playing either of these games...i just find AoE more engaging.
Not really true, try playing either game online without focusing on your economy. Trust me, you won't be playing for long. I'm speaking more for Starcraft on this, but it's still an important factor in DoW as well (although a much easier process).

The fact that AoE has a greater range of resources may make the economy more involved, but in no way is economy not important in SC or DoW. Heck, maintaining a strong economy (and using those resources well) is a huge step between being an inexperienced player and a good one.

Despite this, I'm not trying to tell you that you shouldn't enjoy AoE more, I'm just saying that you can hardly say that either game isn't economically driven, unless your only experience with SC (and to a lesser extent DoW) is the first few campaign maps, in which case, you'd most likely be spot on.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-08, 12:42 PM

loyalist42's Flag is: USA

i'm not saying there isn't an economy in either game. i'm simply saying that the entire focus of those games is military. for example, the only conditions for victory involve either the destruction of enemy units/installations or the holding of certain points, both of which can only be obtained through military action. by contrast, AoE allows victory both through economic means (building a Monument) and religious means (capturing every relic). though it is necessary to defend both of these conditions, i think it makes a huge difference.

also, i've always had a bone to pick with the fact that the only way to enhance your economy is essentially to build more workers, collection points, what have you. that's one of my favorite things about AoE...you can enhance the productivity of the workers you already have.

hope that clarifies my views

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navar89
if I hang out with you any more I just might pick up 40K...You, sir, are dangerous.

Holy shit, I've a plog again!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode