Football Manager Sims? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-11, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Football Manager Sims?

Hi everyone.

Just to start off, I find football to be quite bizarre insofar as I don't particularly follow it, but I can and sometimes do watch a match for the full 90 minutes with ease. Although I have no particular team to follow which kind of sucks.

So ... I've been thinking of getting a game which appeals to my favourite aspect of football, the managing / coaching.

I love the idea of taking a Division 3 team (their not called divisions anymore are they?) and spending 20-30 seasons slowing building them up to be a Premiership / European contender.

I think the thing that appeals to me about that is the fact that you have to be so careful with who you sign. You can't sign a 30,000,000 flop and survive, heck you can hardly afford a 500,000 flop, so when you sign him, he better start getting some goals!!!

So I was just wondering if anyone out there knows of any good football simulators for the PC?

I know I can just look up gamespot or the like for some reviews, but I was hoping to also maybe start a conversation about management sims in general, do you play them currently, what is your team, how are they doing, what is your opinion of the best games available?

Anyway, the final thing I would like to ask is what kind of team management styles are available? What I mean by that is, my plan for building a low division team into a powerhouse would be this:

Focus on Defence!!!

I would want a strong Goalkeeper with a kickass back 4, and by doing this, hopefully always keep the game with in reach of at worst a draw, and allow that a one goal lead would usually achieve the win?. My tactics would be to play well back, but have enough team speed to break quickly on the counter attack and hopefully catch them with their pants down ... so to speak.

(For those of you that follow American football, I also follow the Al Davis school of loving player Size, Speed, and playing physical freaks, so I was wondering is this kind of feature available as well, where players can be physical specimens with height, power, speed, but need coaching to become good goal scorers etc, so you kind of mould them into good players)

Anyway, I'd love to hear any and all thoughts on this topic (and hopefully some of my questions), so what say you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-11, 08:07 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Grab Football Manager 2011. It's exactly what you're looking for. You control almost every aspect of the management side. If you really like the sort of thing, you can spend ages sending scouts out to gather reports on specific players or countries and tell you how good they are, how good they think they will be and a whole host of other bits of information. And even then you got to send the right scouts out, as some are better at scouting certain positions or countries. Like you said, you really have to research a player before you buy him to ensure he is right for your team. Sure you could spend 50 million to buy Torres, but he might not work well with your established team and playing style and become a flop. I could go on, but theres really just too many details and features for the game.

I played a premiership teams when i first got it and then took them to the top and built a cracking team. But now i've taken hold of Cardiff City. Currently in my second season after narrowly losing the play-offs in my first season. Half way through the season though and after some excellent signings(if i do say so myself) i'm cruising at the top of the table with a comfortable 16 point lead on Hull who are in second. Enjoy the game immesnely, suggest you get it!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-11, 08:21 PM
Slave to Heresy!

Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

I play footy manager 11 and football manager live (manager MMO against other humans from the same company)

I prefer FML as its online and more rewarding.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-11, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Seems Football Manager 11 it is then lol, I have a few quick questions though:

1. What kind of spec computer do you need?

To give you an idea of what graphics level I'm at, I can play Medieval Total War 2, Warhammer Dark Crusade / Soulstorm, Civilization 4 on my laptop, so do you think would that be fine?

2. Can you upgrade your Stadium by any chance? What I mean by that is, if I take a 3rd Division Team with a 2,000 capacity Stadium, and get them up to the big leagues (or even division 1/2 lol) can I upgrade the team so it reflects the success on the pitch. Also things like financial budgets, advertising etc things of that nature.

Thanks guys, so far that sounds exactly what I'm looking for.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-11, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-A-C View Post
Seems Football Manager 11 it is then lol, I have a few quick questions though:

1. What kind of spec computer do you need?

To give you an idea of what graphics level I'm at, I can play Medieval Total War 2, Warhammer Dark Crusade / Soulstorm, Civilization 4 on my laptop, so do you think would that be fine?

Yeah more than fine, the graphics engine is basic to say the least, but hey thats not why its bought ;) The game really starts to slow the more players you have in game, like for instance if you load ALL the leagues you'd need a brilliant rig to run it.

2. Can you upgrade your Stadium by any chance? What I mean by that is, if I take a 3rd Division Team with a 2,000 capacity Stadium, and get them up to the big leagues (or even division 1/2 lol) can I upgrade the team so it reflects the success on the pitch. Also things like financial budgets, advertising etc things of that nature.

Well you can approach your boardroom to request improvements to the stadium/training grounds/youth facilities.
In so far as controlling the financial aspects of the game, Im almost 100% sure you only control transfers/contracts (and in 11 dirty bastard agents fees), you cant look for your own sponsorship etc etc

Thanks guys, so far that sounds exactly what I'm looking for.
Hope that answers you bud.
If you want a real challenge load up the Korean leagues along with the major European teams, then work your way up from the very very bottom.
I managed the Korean police force once, happy days.

You may want to check out the demo to see if its what your after

Last edited by Kickback; 02-03-11 at 12:10 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode