Problem with RPGs - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-11, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Default Problem with RPGs

Hey everyone.

So I was driving in my Panzer the other day and this mofo jumped out and fired a freakin RPG at me!!!! Can you believe that? Crap like that happends to me all the time!!!

Anyway, that was a stupid joke based on the title of this thread, and I realise half of you have now left, but here's the real reason I'm posting.

Does anyone else (besides me) have the problem in RPGs that they can't stick with a particular race, class and character for very long?

I'll give you an example; I've currently got two RPGs outstanding, Dragon Age Origins and Oblivion Eldar scrolls. But every time I sit down to play them I get a certain distance into the game and want to play a different aspect.

So for either, I'll think up an idea for a cool warrior, mage or assassin etc but part way into it i'll go, "damn I wish I was (insert opposite Race, Class etc) and then proceed to start all over again lol.

I can't tell you how sick I am of that damn Oblivion dungeon and that p*ssing Dark Elf across the corridor; I swear I am going to find him and kick his ass lol. Same with Dragon Age Origins.

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone else has this same problem, and does anyone have any tips on how to overcome it.

Just so you know, I kind of like to RP with my character, create a cool theme, back story, and play to it, even at the loss of competitiveness .... kinda like in 40k lol.

So what say you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-11, 12:47 AM

I actually am quite the opposite. I rarely go outside my chosen race or class in RPG games once I find out what I'm most comfortable with.

WoW, for example, I only have two characters. A lvl81 Blood Elf Rogue and a lvl??something Draenei Warrior. Of course I havent played the game in forever, but I've never made anything else unless I needed more bank room. The same goes for games like Elder Scrolls. I always play a Dark Elf with a specific custom class which mixes Alteration, Acrobatics, Archery and Long Blades.

I might deviate here and there in RPG's, but most of those new characters are quick to face the chopping block.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-11, 01:07 AM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

I have the exact same problem, I cant even get into Oblivion for more than an a couple of hours without wishing I'd chosen something slightly different.

With Dragon Age I was able to complete it the first time without being driven to stop and make a new character but I've made a handful of characters since and not got past the 10hr mark on any of them.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-11, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmstrom View Post
I actually am quite the opposite. I rarely go outside my chosen race or class in RPG games once I find out what I'm most comfortable with.

WoW, for example, I only have two characters. A lvl81 Blood Elf Rogue and a lvl??something Draenei Warrior. Of course I havent played the game in forever, but I've never made anything else unless I needed more bank room. The same goes for games like Elder Scrolls. I always play a Dark Elf with a specific custom class which mixes Alteration, Acrobatics, Archery and Long Blades.

I might deviate here and there in RPG's, but most of those new characters are quick to face the chopping block.
You lucky b*stard lol. Coming in here, taunting us poor desperate souls who Tzeentch has tortured with his endless need for change lol.

Have a few +rep for being able to play one character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
I have the exact same problem, I cant even get into Oblivion for more than an a couple of hours without wishing I'd chosen something slightly different.

With Dragon Age I was able to complete it the first time without being driven to stop and make a new character but I've made a handful of characters since and not got past the 10hr mark on any of them.
Thank you Baron!!! I'm glad I'm not the only damn one.

I actually wanted to start a thread on this topic, and am sad it is probably going to get lost in the shuffle of this thread, but the problem I'm having with Dragon Age Origins is ...

I want to be a Dwarf character, but I know that at sometime in the future you can have relationships with other characters (please no spoilers without tags) and I just find the idea kinda creepy of having my Dwarf sleep/ seduce one of the human/elf characters.

That is kinda pathetic I know, but I'm kinda stuck at an impasse.

I want to be a Dwarf Berzerker who is resistant to magic, and hates it, so a Templar too. I think that would be awesome, aside from the whole eyeing up human or elf characters lol.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-11, 02:25 AM

Blackhiker's Flag is: USA

Well for oblivion I have found that if you keep a save of the game right before you leave the dungeon, where you finalize your character you can always reload it and choose something completely different from there. The only thing you lose is a few misplaced skills.

If a child asks how Santa lives forever, simply reply he drinks blood.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poke me in the ribs and cackle, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started to do the same thing to them at funerals.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-11, 02:31 AM

notsoevil's Flag is: USA

I'm with you, D-A-C. I want to bounce around and try everything with MMOs and just RPG games in general. Which is why I stopped playing them.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-11, 03:06 AM

Maybe it's just the OCD in me, hah. In that regard, D&D gets very frustrating because after a few sessions with the same characters, my friends tend to desire to start anew. Much to my chagrin.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-11, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Actually, I just thought of another problem I have with RPGs and maybe some of you will feel the same.

I hate the whole 'Maxing' skills side of things.

By that I mean, I hate the who levelling efficiency nonsense you find, were you can't just playa nd level up skill as you go, but rather you have to take time to specifically work certain skills, for a certain amount of time etc.

In a way this whole thread is kinda like my views on 40k

I love the whole RP, and theme aspects (almost too much it seems)
I kinda get bogged down in the competitive side of things.

Do any of you have the same problem / problems?
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-11, 03:15 AM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-A-C View Post
In a way this whole thread is kinda like my views on 40k

I love the whole RP, and theme aspects (almost too much it seems)
I kinda get bogged down in the competitive side of things.

Do any of you have the same problem / problems?
I own enough models to field a 2000-2500pts army, but most of those models are unassembled and/or unpainted.

The last time I played was before I turned 20...

But it's the background that keeps me here, I still have every intention of getting my army built and to play some games, but maybe I'll leave that till tomorrow or something
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-11, 03:32 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

I have the opposite problem, with MMO and RPGs, I cannot replay a game to save my life. I have personality traits for OCD so I tend to focus on one thing and only one thing, that why I left warhammer when I started playing Aion.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode