Problem with RPGs - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-11, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-A-C View Post
I hate the whole 'Maxing' skills side of things.

By that I mean, I hate the who levelling efficiency nonsense you find, were you can't just playa nd level up skill as you go, but rather you have to take time to specifically work certain skills, for a certain amount of time etc.
I don't mind that too much, but I do feel a bit what you're saying.

To me, though, I enjoy explorating more than anything else. I like wandering around new and unfamiliar territory. Walking through the depths of forgotten ruins and stuff like that. When there is nothing more to see and understand, that is when my interest drops significantly.

It's one thing I hated about WoW where, by the end of it all, it was just a matter of replaying the same instances for gear or whatever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-11, 01:18 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Dragon Age: Origins had it right at the start, in that it had a different story for each start up Path - Dalish Elf, City Elf, Human Mage, Human Rogue/Warrior, Dwarf Warrior, or Dwarf Rogue.

However, there are only certain characters that I'll take through a game, and they tend to be extremes. My first play through was an Arcane Dalish Elf Warrior, which was master all (awesome magic, and decent enough in Melee). After that, I've run Dual Weapon Spec Assassin Human Rogue, and 2Handed Champion Spec Dwarf Warrior, all the others dropped by the way side as they did not interest me, as essentially the game was entirely the same.

In Runescape, when I played that Donkeys ago, every character is exactly the same, but with such a wide variety of skills (at the time, you had 7 Combat Stats - Attack (how melee accurate you were and increase your maximum level of melee weapon), Strength (how much melee damage you did), Defence (how hard you were to hit in melee and maximum level of melee armour), Ranged (how accurate you were at ranged attacks, how much damage you did with those attacks, and maximum level of ranged equipment), Magic (how accurate you were at magic attacks, how much damage they did, and maximum level of magic equipment), HP (how much health you had, automatic increase in line with the damage caused), and Prayer (increased access to certain stackable toggle abilities which increased capability until the prayer meter ran out, more levels equals larger prayer meter). On top of that, there is Summoning, which gives you a handy friend to fight with in combat which while alive provides you with a boost - either holding more healing items, actual passive abilities, or just fighting alongside you in combat, and your Combat Level takes all of these abilities into account to provide you with a particular "PvP" level - meaning that a Combat Level 40 guy can have say 50 ranged, 50 HP, and 50 Magic, but no melee capabilities, while a 30 Attack Strength, Defence and Prayer guy will have the same level, and each will have a similar chance of winning against the other.

On top of that, there are about 25 "non combat" stats, which can be used to generate money, or to complete/gain access to quests, games or areas, with new and better equipment.

It's one game that in an evening if I'm knackered and CBA with an FPS, I can just crawl into bed and have a few hours playing on, without feeling under pressure, and just have an easy time, and the community is fairly decent as well. I don't have to bring my A-Game every time I play, which is why I love RPG's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

Last edited by Vaz; 01-10-11 at 01:30 PM.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-11, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Sigh ...

Just encountered the same problem again lol.

I've restarted Dragon Age Origins as a Noble Dwarf, Duel Wield, Warrior, with the aim of being a berserk anti-magic killing machine, but I'm unhappy with it lol.

I think I might just go, Human Noble, Sword and Shield and just tank my way through the game, that's what hero's do anyway, right?

I did get as far as I've ever gotten though, a village called Lorthar after that first big battle with the King.

Also I should probably add a ... ddddaaaammmmnnnn, for Morigan, as she is hot, and such a tease with the outfit lol.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-11, 03:14 PM

Hooobit's Flag is: England

I always have this problem with Dragon age: origins, it's a cruel life sucking monster that just leaves you wanting other characters instead of your own.

There should have a been a non-noble start for the rogue and warrior aswell.

The worst game for this kinda issue has to be mass Effect 2 tho, weapon limitations, character romances, previous history from the first mass effect game and the devolution of the armour and weapon mod system.
I can never play from start to finish without wanting to be a different style character.

Everyone has a purpose, just so happens mine is more of an example to others of what NOT to do.

I know it's time to go to bed when the last post in every thread has been written by me.

Hooobit, nothing more nothing less.
XBL: Hooobit
PSN: Hooobit

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-11, 03:24 PM

Arkeoptrix's Flag is: USA

Just go for a jack of all trades type of character. Unless it's one of the Fallout (stomping through New Vegas at the moment) games where I specifically know what I'm going for, I usually try to play it safe and do a little of everything or at least to do some sort of generic multi-utility type character.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-11, 05:27 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

I've never had the problem of wishing I made a different character in a RPG, I look at the classes before hand and make my decision before I even start the game. Sure, sometimes you need to make adjustments mid-game but I've never restarted because of a bad class pick.

I've never really understood the whole idea of not finishing a RPG because I didn't like my character selection. I have more trouble not finishing the game.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-11, 08:34 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

I always have the problem of wanting to be someone else in a RPG... And it sucks...

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-11-11, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelago View Post
I always have the problem of wanting to be someone else in a RPG... And it sucks...
Yes, yes it does.

We should all start a support group here at Heresy.

People can post their current game and character, and when they feel the temptation to switch to something else we can all rally and say things like:

"Don't do it man! That level 9 Dwarf is too good to throw away!"

"You've only just begun that Human Noble, stay the course man, stay the course!!!"
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-11-11, 03:59 PM

Hooobit's Flag is: England

RPGS
Role - Playing - Group - Support

Everyone has a purpose, just so happens mine is more of an example to others of what NOT to do.

I know it's time to go to bed when the last post in every thread has been written by me.

Hooobit, nothing more nothing less.
XBL: Hooobit
PSN: Hooobit

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-11-11, 04:59 PM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

I normally end up playing what ever looks cool, that is how I got a Wood Elf Rogue in Everquest. Class is easy, I hate healing so there goes healers. I like massive damage. I don't mind playing support. Normally that leave crap like rogues, wizards, or a utility class for me to play.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode