Dragons Age Series - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-10, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Dragons Age Series

I just got the Dragons Age: Origins Ultimate edition on the PS3 the other day (basically, has all the DLC included for free)

First impressions? Slightly laggy, particularly when there's 10-20 models on the screen, especially when there's all sorts of Aura's, Spells and stuff going on. The graphics aren't... amazing (i.e Crysis like), but then again, compared to the balance needed between frame rate and graphics, I'm more than happy. Also, a couple of bugs - my favourite one was talking to Alistair halfway through the siege of Denerim, who promptly decided to tell me that before the Blight Swamped the city, could we please search out his half sister - despite the Arch-Demon having already torched the defenders, and it's Darkspawn horde destroying the lower levels. Ther are also numerous times when the same cutscene plays twice.

But those, I have to say, are fairly minor points, when you compare that to the rest of the game.

The Combat is awesome (although I did have a couple of times when pathfinding was a bit shit), Tactics allowing you to design how your party works with each other (I regret always going for Survival over Combat Tactics now), awesome weaponry (The Veshialle and the Rose Thorn = awesome combination on a Human Warrior), armour (Helm of Honnleath = 4.5 Armour, Low Fatigue, and +2 to all Attributes? Yes please), and storyline, you can't go far wrong.

Alistair's still a knob though.

And the Arch-Demon was the hardest boss I've ever fought in a game (aside from Gnasty Gnorc), and that was after thinking the High Dragon was the hardest boss I've ever fought in a game.

In short - I love it. Oh, and sex.

And with having just ordered Dragon Age 2, I can't even begin to imagine how they're going to top it.

I just love the sheer amount of Trophy's you can get off it - I'm looking to getting my first Platinum before new year. (Although 50 hours play time is a bit of a mish if I miss something early on which effects later on).

Anyone else play this, or I suppose Mass Effect, being the same company and a Sci-fi version of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-10, 01:20 PM
Slave to Heresy!

Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Couldn't agree with you more mate apart from the graphics part. If you wasn't playing it on a substandard pile of shit called a games console you'd be well happy. It looks awesome on my PC, my PS3 version looks grainy and crap.

My problem is I'm a bit of a violent twat in these games and always end up killing possible companions before I realise they can help you.

Wynn (the healer bitch) - killed her.
The Elf Assassin - killed him too.

Now I'm stuck with Alistair the knobhead and a scrawny witch. I missed the dog too in my eagerness to get on with it.

Love it though, it's a top game.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-10, 01:22 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Dragon Age is awesome, I got it about a week or so after it first came out and I couldn't stop playing it- Dragon Scale armour is definitely something that makes you feel invincible versus Flemeth, 21 armour + 80%fire resistance.
Add the pendant that gives you +10% resistance to everything and you can walk through the fires of hell and just get a slight tan.

The combat plays very much like Knights of the Old Republic, unsurprisingly considering they're both made by Bioware, but I have no idea how someone could possibly complete DA on the hardest setting- I struggled against the Arch-Demon and High Dragon on normal!

Mass Effect has a completely different combat, inventory, and conversation system than Dragon Age, though Dragon Age 2 is going to use the same Conversation wheel as used by ME 1/ME 2 that allows for more variation in your responses.

I nearly always play these sorts of games through as a good guy on the first attempt, then a ruthless bastard on the second- Fable is great for playing like that because you can just walk into a village and wipe out every living thing (I even hunted down the chickens).

Last edited by Baron Spikey; 11-25-10 at 01:25 PM.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-10, 07:59 AM

XxDreMisterxX's Flag is: USA

In Dragon Age: Origins the last boss chick is a bitch. stupid slugs that grab onto you and you cant do nothing.

"Imagination is for turbo-nerds who can’t handle how kick-butt reality is… I am a kick-butt reality master! I would rather die than be imaginative."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar Ploss View Post
i'm quite proud of this statement of mine, and i doubt it'll ever be quoted: "This is Heresy-Online, not Fluffy-Bunny Online." yep, that's a good'un. write that down folks.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-10, 08:05 AM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

UGh.... I remember that. How many times did I freak out again? Really wouldn't have been hard if it had let me buy some damn potions.

At Baron,

You know what makes you feel invincible against Flemy? A fucking crossbow. Seriously, take the bitch down hard and fast.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-10, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Vaz

I missed Flemeth on the first play through - I always had Morrigan in my party, as I'd killed Wynne in Circle Tower, and didn't want to get rid of my Healer.

I did enjoy the battle against the Queen of the Marsh in Awakening though - I'm a bit annoyed that I went to Max out Dual Wield, but made the Dragon Bone into a 2Handed Weapon. If the Vigilance Longsword is as naughty as its 2Handed Counterpart, I can't wait to use that.

What equipment do your guys currently have?

On Awakening, (as a Dual Wield Warrior) I have The Veshialle and the Rose Thorn, both with Grand Master Silverite Runes, Momentum Rune, and Paragon Flame Rune, with the Quiet Death Poison, Armour of the Sentinel (the bad ass one you get from the Darkspawn in the Marsh, mega bonuses, and full set reduces stamina modifier), Key to the city (gives you +2 to all attributes, and a couple of others), plus a couple more bits and bobs I can't remember of the top of my head.

Quote:
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-10, 12:27 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

It's an epic game. It's rare that you get a game with such a good storyline and enjoyable role-playing elements, but then chuck in the fact it's got a brilliant combat system and it's proper hard....it's the best game i've played in a long time.

Plus as a bard enthusiast i was glad to see i was catered for. This became a problem however, as i was still trying to bang leliana, and a 2 bard party isn't particularly effective.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-10, 03:39 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

I really wasn't a big fan of awakening. I really didn't like the characters and I don't feel they put enough work into them.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-10, 04:33 PM
IRONBORN

Tyrannus's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen.ahab View Post
I really wasn't a big fan of awakening. I really didn't like the characters and I don't feel they put enough work into them.
Not as bad as that add-on that let you play as the Darkspawn. It was utter shit and I saw no point in it whatsoever.

From iron, cometh strength. From strength, cometh will. From will, cometh faith. From faith, cometh honour. From honour, cometh iron. This is the Unbreakable Litany, and may it forever be so.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-10, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Vaz

I wanted to play as the arch demon, yet still actually feel as if I was in danger from the Grey Wardens.

The Dog was the hardest - taking the Shriek, Ogre and the Hurlock Emmisary, you were perfectly safe after you got rid of the whole broken "Overwhelm". And it's name? "Barkspawn"? Really? Might as well have called it Sir Barkalot. I called mine Muttley =).

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode