So anyone play dwarf fortress? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
SnoopyChicken's Flag is: England

Default So anyone play dwarf fortress?

Its an ascii roguelike, and quite frankly the best game ive ever played. Its not an easy game though, especially at first

You generate an entire world and their are 3 modes of play: fortress mode, adventure mode and legends.

In fortress mode you take a caravan of dwarves and can build a fortress, anywhere from icy glaciers to desert plains. You can set up various industries: textiles and crafts, food goods, mining, whatever. Every so often traders come along allowing you to export crafts and trade for any supplies you might need, but as you export more and more goods, goblin sieges get nastier as they seek to plunder your fortress.

Adventure mode allows you to take play a more traditional roguelike, although its mostly broken atm, the next release is set to fix that and make it absolutely awesome

Legends mode isnt so much a game as a history of your world.

heres an awesome comic example of what its like:
http://www.nzfortress.co.nz/forum/sh...ad.php?t=20768

So anyway, anyone play it? Any stories to share? Anyone need help starting out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperious Rex View Post
Don't get me wrong brother. If there's one race that I wouldn't want to be captured by it's the DE. I'd rather set off a melta bomb in my pants than be taken alive by the dark eldar.

Last edited by SnoopyChicken; 11-07-10 at 11:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-10, 02:06 AM

Amoeba Bait's Flag is: Australia

I have heared alot about Dwarf Fortress, and read about it in Game Informer (I think); but I have never played it. Where exactly do you get it? Is it avaliable from stores, or do you have to buy it online?

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-10, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba Bait View Post
I have heared alot about Dwarf Fortress, and read about it in Game Informer (I think); but I have never played it. Where exactly do you get it? Is it avaliable from stores, or do you have to buy it online?
Its free! You can it here at the official site: http://bay12games.com/dwarves/

The wikis here(for newbies the games essentially unplayable without it): http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Quote:
Don't get me wrong brother. If there's one race that I wouldn't want to be captured by it's the DE. I'd rather set off a melta bomb in my pants than be taken alive by the dark eldar.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-10, 05:38 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopyChicken View Post
Its free!
True, but Winzip aint...

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-10, 05:43 PM
Must keep painting....

squeek's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelago View Post
True, but Winzip aint...
7-Zip is though... As are plenty of other freeware zip programmes.

Might give this game a go if I have some time to kill.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-10, 09:46 PM

Amoeba Bait's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopyChicken View Post
Its free! You can it here at the official site: http://bay12games.com/dwarves/

The wikis here(for newbies the games essentially unplayable without it): http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page
I tried this site, but lo and behold on the school network, ACCESS DENIED! Not to worry, one of my mates coincidently brought it in on his USB.

What would you say is the best play mode to start with?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-10, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba Bait View Post
I tried this site, but lo and behold on the school network, ACCESS DENIED! Not to worry, one of my mates coincidently brought it in on his USB.

What would you say is the best play mode to start with?
Id go for fortress mode, adventure mode is quite fun but until the next release, gameplay is limited.

Besides nothing beats bossing round your own booze-fuelled crew of dworfs

Quote:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-10, 07:00 PM
MrsK's Flag is: Canada

I am scared to play. It is not uncommon for me to sit down for a game of Civ in the early evening and then suddenly...woah how is it 7am??

When my man started playing he played about 100 hours the first week. That just screams bad news to me.

But every once and a while, a dark corner of my soul screams BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD and I know that eventually I will not be able to ignore the call any more...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-10, 08:24 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

I haven't tried it out yet, but i did spend an evening reading about boatmurdered, a let's play article where the fortress was passed to a new player every week.

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Boatmurdered/

Very, very funny

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-10, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Been playing the new and very very very much improved adventure mode, this is what im up to at the moment:

I created a demi-goddess and to test and improve her skills, decided to spend several days on a haunted glacier. For three days i wondered the wilds fighting ice wolves, blizzard men and the need to sleep, I started to return and was ambushed by some elves, but luckily for me the stupid elves only had wooden weapons, I decapitated the leader and made my way home to tell the townsfolk my exploits. Suitably impressed they soon had a proper quest for me: Slay the leader of a bandit camp (who had killed one of my previous adventurers)

On the way i stopped at a fort and convinced a maceman, lasher and crossbowman to come with me and we made our way to the camp, we got there and I immediatly made my way to the leader, I chopped one of her legs off but as i raised my sword to strike the killing blow she shot an arrow through my hand forcing me to drop my sword, rather annoyed at this I pulled the arrow out and proceeded to gouge her eye out with it and then kicked her skull through her brain.

A few quests later and ive got a band of 9(two of them left paraplegic after a kobold ambush) and were on our way to slay (or more likely for most of us, be slayed by) a dragon

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode