Curious about Guild Wars.. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-10, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Doombreed's Flag is: USA

Default Curious about Guild Wars..

I was browsing through this thread and stumbled upon Wraithlord's topic about Guild Wars 2. After reading through it I started to remember seeing that title here and there but never really knew what it was about. I'm a fan of MMOs and have a little history playing WoW so I was curious to know if this game was anything like that.

For a lack of better words would any of you kind people mind trying to "sell" me this game. For example: Is it a PC or console game? How deep are the customization in characters and classes? Whats the gameplay like? etc. etc. (I confess, when I saw the words "no monthly fee" I perked up a bit. I'm a cheap bastard, I'm not proud but I've made my peace with that.)

Now I know you may not know a lot of details about the sequel yet but any insight would be most appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-10, 07:51 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

It's fairly standard PC MMO fare, with a couple of differences. For instance, the game is VERY highly centered around competetive PVP, with an entire area set up just for it.

Characters are fairly customizable, but the real customization comes from their builds. Unlike many games, in Guild Wars you have to take two professions. One as your 'main' profession (whose basic appearance you take and have a couple of natural advantages with) and a secondary. This gives a much more ridiculous and expansive option of characters.
To give a couple of examples, you could have a Warrior / Ranger, and focus entirely on Warrior skills if you wanted. Or you could split between the two and have a character balanced in both melee and ranged combat and have a pet to fight with you to boot.
With six classes in the main game, and more added in the expansions, you ended up with some pretty insane choices there by the end of it.

(As an aside, one of my favourite builds was the cheap-but-funny Necromancer/Monk combo. Sap the enemy of strength to keep yourself alive, summon minions from the corpses, and use your monk skills to bail out your party.)

The other important part is that while a level cap of 20 seems fairly low, that's not really the case. The strength of a character is much more centered around their abilities and their gear than their level, with weapons usable based on their ability skills (which are changable in towns, so if you need to swap specialization to help a friend out, it can be really useful.)
From unconfirmed rumours, GW2 is going to keep the flexibility but have a much higher level cap, as that was one of the things that apparently turned a lot of possible 'endgame-heavy' players off.

In the first game, players were all human, but that wasn't a problem as the world was so good. There were non-human characters, though. Some of the most notable among them being the Charr, bastard children of Orcs and Chewbacca. In GW2 you'll be able to have more in the way of races.

Personally, I'd suggest at least downloading a trial version and seeing if you like it. There's still plenty of people playing, and it's a hell of a lot of fun. Plus if you like it and you get Eye of the North, you'll apparently be able to get special things from your old characters in GW2. :D

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-10, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Doombreed's Flag is: USA

Thanks WoRLoKKeD +rep. I'll deffinetly be doing a little more research and will be downloading the trial when I get my computer back.

PVP was always my favorite aspect of the game opposed to boss grinding (that made me want to shoot myself in the face with rock salt).
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-10, 03:05 AM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Awesome.

And if you really only want the pvp, you can just make a pvp character, which starts at max level, but is confined to the aforesaid pvp area.

However, running a main character aside that one is good for unlocking extra abilities to use in pvp. It's a great system, in my opinion.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode