Your favorite non-WoW mmo - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-23-10, 10:34 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Galus View Post
I think EVE is less an MMO and more The Matrix, in all reality. Do some research on what happens in and around that game and you start to realize most people who play it took the red pill a long time ago.
You raise a valid point, but that's why I like it. It's why I think it's the best MMO, possibly one of the best games out there.

It's not for everyone, I know, but the fact you can get away with doing just about anything on it is, to me, brilliant. The game builds up so much more around your actions precisely because any little action has the potential to spiral into a major (and hilarious) shitstorm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-24-10, 12:06 AM

Azezel's Flag is: United Kingdom

WoW is astoundingly primetive... I played the trial and came away shocked... 'This is what everyone's gaga for!?'

But WoW will be the king of the hill for a long time yet for two reasons:
1) It's big in every sense of the word. The game world is huge - not the biggest, but it feels that way. It feels like there's limitless space to explore. It's also simply the biggest MMO, most subscribers, best name recognition etc.

2) It's the only truely well-known MMO. Chances are, if someone tries one MMO, it's WoW. I read somewhere that it has the highest turnover rate (the rate at which people subscribe, then leave forever) of any MMO and I believe that

At this point, the only things that could kill WoW are Blizzard royally cocking up, or some sort of technology revolution that someone else can exploit before Blizzard.

As for my favourite MMO - not sure. I like City of Heroes a lot. I also liked Dungeons & Dragons Online when I tried it and now that it's gone free-to-play I think I'll pick it up once my current CoH subscription expires.

I don't like CoH specifically for the superhero genre. In fact, most of my characters aren't really what you'd call superheroes, more action heroes if you get the distinction.

It's about the game letting me have fun, and letting me have an awesome hat.

Allow me to explain. The game let's me have fun thusly: When you make a level 1 character, you get two superpowers, a mellee attack, a ranged attack and a miniature jetpack that lets you jump about 100 feet in the air, albeit briefly.

With a little practice there is pretty much nowhere in the game you cannot reach with said jetpack. At level six, (maybe an hour's play time, tops) you've aquired another three superpowers, including a travel power that makes getting around much easier.

The early levels fly by and after five hours or so playing fairly casually, you can fly like a bird or run at 70mph, or instantly teleport. And you have a whole goody bag full of funky superpowers.

By comparison, in WoW after many, many hours of play I was level three or four, had a couple of worthless spells, one good one that turned things into sheep and I was running everywhere being chased by wolves. It wasn't very fun. I had a hard time explaining to myself why I was trudging through the snows of ironforge collecting boars tusks or whatever it was when I could by flying between the skyscrapers of Paragon City.

I didn't have a cool hat.

Cool hats. In WoW, you start the game looking terrible and, if, later you happen to aquire a cool hat, well, good, but after a couple of levels you'll have to get rid of it becauuse you've out-leveled it and need to wear a less cool hat with better stats. Sucks to be you.

CoH, you can start the game looking however you want. You can have the coolest hat and there's not a force in the game* that can make you get rid of it. You can also have up to four additional costumes and swap between them at any time. You always look cool. No, you always are cool.

*There is one force, actually. The Hamidon. Hami is the ultimate monster in the game, a colossal amoeba. It takes about 50 max-level superheroes to even threaten it. With that many heroes and flashy superpowers flying about, game slowdown is an issue, hence the 'hamikini' - Hamidon bikini - a stripped down, no-cape, no-extras costume designed to put as little drag on a computer as possible. Having a Hamikini in your costume range is a badge of honour.

Looking for a friendly wargaming club on the Isle of Wight? Drop me a line.

Sisters of Battle - The Order of Glory Undimmed - 2'500 Points | High Elves - House Cyredeth - 2'500 Points | Bretonnians - The Muster of Sir Jules Estelle - 3'000 Points

Last edited by Azezel; 09-24-10 at 12:38 AM.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-24-10, 05:18 AM

gundamboy195's Flag is: USA

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-26-10, 04:17 PM
Daz

Daz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azezel View Post
WoW is astoundingly primetive... I played the trial and came away shocked... 'This is what everyone's gaga for!?'
Part of the problem here is that the trial only gives you the starter areas, ie. the parts of the games that haven't been updated since the game first came out. The first areas in the game are a joke compared to Newer areas, like wrath. I have just started a new character recently, and I was like, "Well... it's a good thing Cata is coming to fix this effin' mess..."

But anyway, back to the topic at hand, It has to be Guild Wars. I love that game. I'm not sure how much I'm looking forward to GW2, though. I'll buy it, but it probably won't impress me as much as the first did. On the other hand, it DOES look pretty awesome.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-26-10, 07:22 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
By comparison, in WoW after many, many hours of play I was level three or four, had a couple of worthless spells, one good one that turned things into sheep and I was running everywhere being chased by wolves.
Dude, you should be level 6 at the hour mark or you aren't doing it properly

Polymorph is an awesome spell though.

I've been off wow for almost 3 years now, but I still think it's an awesome game. The lore, environment and game play is very deep and detailed, and compared to most other mmo's I've played, blizzard just seems to go that extra mile. Learning from their mistakes and the advances made by others.

Best other MMO i've played is also GW, i like the fact that compared to WOW it's a completely different game, and explores a lot of new ideas. unfortunately just felt there were a few bits lacking that would have made it perfect. Hopefully these will be picked up in GW2.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-01-10, 02:03 AM

coalheartly's Flag is: USA

Guild Wars, and looking forward to Guild Wars 2

“Here come the test results: you are a horrible person. That’s what it says. We weren’t even testing for that.”

post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-10, 12:43 AM

RF Online, basically its a crack addiction, PvP orientated, and just horribly addictive, although Berkanix will hopefully break its grip on me
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-27-10, 07:58 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Everquest (lvl 85 Assassin 1000+ AAs)
CoV (4 x lvl 50 inc a VEAT)
Aion lvl 55 Sorc
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-27-10, 09:00 AM

Arkeoptrix's Flag is: USA

Quote:
It's about the game letting me have fun, and letting me have an awesome hat.

Allow me to explain. The game let's me have fun thusly: When you make a level 1 character, you get two superpowers, a mellee attack, a ranged attack and a miniature jetpack that lets you jump about 100 feet in the air, albeit briefly.

With a little practice there is pretty much nowhere in the game you cannot reach with said jetpack. At level six, (maybe an hour's play time, tops) you've aquired another three superpowers, including a travel power that makes getting around much easier.

The early levels fly by and after five hours or so playing fairly casually, you can fly like a bird or run at 70mph, or instantly teleport. And you have a whole goody bag full of funky superpowers.

By comparison, in WoW after many, many hours of play I was level three or four, had a couple of worthless spells, one good one that turned things into sheep and I was running everywhere being chased by wolves. It wasn't very fun. I had a hard time explaining to myself why I was trudging through the snows of ironforge collecting boars tusks or whatever it was when I could by flying between the skyscrapers of Paragon City.

I didn't have a cool hat.

Cool hats. In WoW, you start the game looking terrible and, if, later you happen to aquire a cool hat, well, good, but after a couple of levels you'll have to get rid of it becauuse you've out-leveled it and need to wear a less cool hat with better stats. Sucks to be you.

CoH, you can start the game looking however you want. You can have the coolest hat and there's not a force in the game* that can make you get rid of it. You can also have up to four additional costumes and swap between them at any time. You always look cool. No, you always are cool.

Pretty much sums up everything I was gonna say... Except maybe replace hat with entire costume, but yeah..
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-27-10, 10:25 AM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

+1 for EVE. Others explained why already. Still best MMO on the market imho.

AOC was fun, it has nice graphics and combat system, but in the end, the concept was same as WOW/almost any other MMO.

Looking forward to GW2, haven't played first one but it seems to have some nice ideas (like events instead of static quests etc.). Though I don't think it will hold me for long.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode