Your Favorite Videogames - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-10, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Curiouser and Curiouser

Default Your Favorite Videogames

Just say what your favorite video games are and why!

1. Team Fortress 2 - I have never played such a balanced game in my entire life. Each character has a unique personality and did I mention hats? Also, free content updates all the time from the wonderful team at valve. None of that $10 map pack BS that other games do.

2. Psychonauts - Games that go against the grain of popular titles are my kind of thing. All the quirky humor, colorful worlds, and fun characters make this my number two. I AM THE MILKMAN! This is also the game my name comes from just fyi.

3. Bioshock 1 and 2 - God the twist of the first game was the biggest jaw dropping moment in a video game I've ever had. The second was even better in my opinion because it streamlined features of the first game and the story was more consistent whereas in the first it sort of faltered after the twist. Also, the best environments ever.

4. Dungeon Keeper 2 - This is an old RTS one of my dad's friends introduced me to and it is still the best I've ever played. You are pure evil in this, not just kinda evil in say overlord. You can torture the heroes of the land for information, take their corpses and turn them into vampires and skeletons and just have one hell of a time. I recommend this to every RTS fan out there.

5. Plants vs Zombies - There were a number of titles fighting for this spot including Warcraft 3, Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, and Alice but this takes the cake. Simple yet perfectly refined and hilarious to boot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-10, 09:00 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

These are in no particular order, its hard to number them so just randomly...

1. Transformers: War for Cybertron - Truly the greatest Transformers game to ever exist. It has an excellent campaign in which both endings are true, and homage to the original TV series. A great cast of characters with icons like Optimus Prime and Megatron, and my two favourites Starscream and Warpath get some nice screen-time, and Starscream's voice actor is sweet!.

2. Dead Space - The scariest game I have ever seen. I actually can't play it in the dark, it unnerves me too much. The Necromorphs are one of the most imaginative enemies ive ever seen, and a very nice alternative to the usual crappy zombies. And Isaac Clarke is badass, even though he doesn't say a word.

3. Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising - A great expansion that does the Chaos Space Marines justice. Excellent voice acting with befittingly evil voices for the Chaos Marines, although they should have kept Eliphas's original voice, and a very well revamped campaign which is miles better then the original although some more missions would have been nice. Eagerly awaiting the next expansion, which is confirmed to feature Warlord Gorgutz 'Ead 'Unter, my favourite greenskin.

4. Star Wars KOTOR II - An older game but still a true classic for me. Largely revamped gameplay, an original and exciting story and a memorable cast of characters including my favourite homicidal droid HK-47, and perhaps the most awesome Sith Lord to ever exist, Darth Nihilus, KOTOR II still claims a spot in my favourites even after all these years, and most likely always will. Just wish they hadn't cut the HK factory level, an entire level to play as HK-47 so easily cut... such a shame.

5. Assassins Creed 2 - An incredibly unique series and its second entry got everything right, and corrected all the things the first one got wrong. Every assassination is different rather then just sneak in and kill. And a much more vocal protagonist with far better looking armour-robes. And perhaps the ending to end all endings, Assassins Creed 2 has the best ending I have ever seen in a video game. I very much anticipate the third entry in the series, which according to some concept art I saw may take place in ancient Egypt.

6. Oddworld Stranger's Wrath - The best game you never heard of. I got this once it was released, despite it having no Abe or Munch, and was instantly hooked. A unique game, what game has ever done living ammunition using cute furry animals, although some decidedly not, with the hardest gameplay ive ever played, I still can't do the game without invincibility cheats, and an excellent cast of characters. And halfway through the story is the biggest twist I have ever seen in a game, barring Assassins Creed 2, and the ending has yet another twist that both still impress me.

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Last edited by Lord of the Night; 06-27-10 at 09:04 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-10, 08:44 PM

Such a nostalgic question. These are not arranged in any particular order. I'll list ten, but there are plenty of other favorites.

1.) The Marathon Trilogy

These three games will never get old for me, and their story rivals some of the ones presented in todays games. Basically, it involves a Human 'generation ship' being attacked by alien slavers and the onboard AI's go rampant while you play as a supersoldier. Created by Bungie, it's a spiritual ancestor to the Halo franchise.

FYI - Marathon: Durandal, the second game, is available on the XBox Live Arcade with a free trial to those wanting to check it out. I'll warn you now, though. There is no jump button. Yes, it's that old.

2.) Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance

Perhaps one of the best combat flight simulators out there, X-Wing Alliance was a blast. Featuring a lengthy campaign and the ability to create custom battles, there was plenty to do. But the best part was the multiplayer community. Engaging in clan wars, dueling or just trading fire with random players was unlimited fun.

I'd kill to see a new game on par with this, but I fear that in todays society, nobody could be troubled to pick up a $20 joystick. Nor does anyone want to deal with the complexity of such a game where you had to adjust ship power and shield levels.

3.) MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries

This one's another simulator, but with mechs. The single player campaign was pretty cool, but again, multiplayer was what this game was all about. With dozens of individual mechs, you could customize them on a detailed level. From paint schemes, to weapon loadouts and armor distribution. It was epic.

Hopefully MechWarrior 5, which is in developement, proves itself worthy of the franchise. I'd be extremely disappointed if it turned out to be like MechAssault, which sucked.

4.) The Halo Series

The days of Halo: CE LAN parties are a fond memory to me. Probably one of the funnest co-op games I've ever played, multiplayer was great. But it didn't compare to the action brought on by Halo 2. Halo 2 had a terrible single player campaign, and it had too many exploits in multiplayer, but it was fun. Having a remake of the famed Blood Gulch to fight in online was really epic, too.

Halo 3 was a surprise in that it didn't suck as much as Halo 2. The campaign was pretty cool, and 4-player co-op was pretty awesome. However it easily has the best multiplayer out of the entire trilogy. My only qualms with this game is that they could have done away with the annoying Cortana/Gravemind interrupts during single player and that they didn't put a Blood Gulch remake in to multiplayer.

5.) The Mass Effect Series

In my opinion, the best sci-fi RPG I've ever played. This dialogue driven game is mixed with plenty of action. Each character has unique and interesting personalities, the environments were awesome (aside from the cookie cutter underground areas of the game) and the combat was excellent.

I could rant on about this game further, but I don't want to write a book about it. For those interested in the series, you can get away with buying Mass Effect 2 without playing the original, however you're missing out. Aside the fact that you can import your Mass Effect 1 character to the sequel, the first game is nearly as good. The combat isn't as fine tuned, but you have my recommendation.

And I'm probably the only person who didn't mind the Mako from Mass Effect 1. Driving around vast stretches of an alien world was just awesome.

6.) Dead Space

The most underrated game I've played. Few developers have succeeded in creating a survival-horror game that works. Resident Evil was good, but that particular franchise has gone downhill. Even though 90% of the game takes place within the bowels of a massive mining ship, the developers offered the player plenty of unique environments.

You play as a simple engineer who must fight his way through hordes of monsters, known as necromorphs, and unlock the mysteries of an alien artifact that the miners had discovered which caused the crew to...change. Using little more than mere engineering equipment.

A sequel is on the way which I expect to uphold the same quality of this amazing title. But this game is worth a buy to any sci-fi fan. Seriously.

7.) Diablo II

While the first game was quite enjoyable, this sequel dominates. I can only imagine how many hours of this game I played during Middle/High School and how many Hell runs I've managed with my friends. It's simply a timeless classic, and I still give it a go every now and then. The expansion was pretty epic, too, and is definitely worth a buy.

I loved being the Necromancer, and I'm disappointed not to see a proper analogue in Diablo III. (A.K.A., 'WoWablo III'). I seriously thought the Witch Doctor was a joke at first.

8.) Counter-Strike

This is the definition of a timeless game. Although archaic by todays FPS standards, this classic is still played to death by a legion of dedicated players. I may get frustrated at how that guy snapped off a headshot with an AK-47 from across the map or how that grenade just dropped out of nowhere and blew my ass away, it's a good game for 'shooting the shit' fun. Casual and pro gamers alike can enjoy this game.

Steam recently revamped the game, adding achievements and stats. So this games pulse is still quite healthy and strong. Plus, people actually run servers that aren't Dust or Office for a change.

FYI - If anyone plays this (I did make a thread about this game, so disregard if you have already said so there), let me know. My playstyle is very lax, and I don't take the game too seriously, but I'd be glad to gun with a few folks from Heresy. My Steam ID is Mjolnir73, profile name [SDETH] Drunken Swede.

9.) EVE Online

My one and only favorite MMO. Though I've played World of Warcraft, D&D Online and Star Wars Galaxies (before Sony fucked it up), this is the only one I've stuck with. EVE Online is a stupidly complex space flight simulator. The learning curve is steep (See the photo after this for an idea), but after a week or two you will 'snap' in to it and be good to go. Many are discouraged by the difficulty at first, but really after you begin to grasp the game mechanics it's a piece of cake.

Even people who don't play this game find it interesting in the fact that it is all hosted on one server, with around 20,000-50,000 players on at any given time. On top of that, there are over 7,000 individual star systems and 66,000 planetary bodies. Yes, the game is that big. Not to mention the wormholes, asteroid fields, deadspace facilities and space stations.

The ships available to you cater every aspect of the game. From combat to spying to industrial purposes. Players can fly anything, given they have the training, from shuttles to mining barges or battleships to 10+ kilometer long Titans. There are dozens of ship classes, all suiting different needs and each can be fitted with a dizzying array of equipment.

The story is thin, as the game is more based on PvP/player empires which fight for control the 'null-security' space, but cool. Basically Humanity discovered a wormhole in our galaxy that led to another. They began colonizing this galaxy and the wormhole collapsed, trapping these people in an alien corner of space. After a technological dark age, things returned more or less to 'normal', with several distinct factions controlling different parts of space. Of which 4 are available to players, and a 5th for game masters/developers. There are also various NPC factions, mostly pirates, who infest the galaxy at large.

Let me know if you play or are interested in playing. I might be able to hook new players up with a 21 day trial and some kredits.

10.) The Half-Life Series

I enjoyed the original game more so than the sequels, but that's not to say the Half-Life 2 games are bad at all. The first was just a great classic that I've played more times than I could probably count. They need to put that on the Xbox Live Arcade, now that I think of it.

Regardless, in the original you play as a scientist who unknowingly starts an inter-dimensional disaster. Aliens pour in to the secret research facility and you basically fight your way around trying to stop the invaders from taking Earth. Halfway through, a US Marines spec-ops force attacks the base in a cover up operation. It's pretty cool.

The sequels are fun too, and you really don't need to have played the original to enjoy Half-Life 2. The characters do a good job of telling the player what you need to know about it. So don't worry about picking them up.

FYI - An independent group of developers are remaking the original Half-Life using the Half-Life 2 Source engine. They are nearing completion, and guess what? It'll be completely free via Steam. You need only to have Half-Life 2 installed. Here's a trailer for it. Those familiar with the first game should immediately recognize a few of those locations and will perhaps understand why there is a cockroach at the end.

Last edited by Holmstrom; 06-28-10 at 08:55 PM.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-10, 09:00 PM

DeathJester921's Flag is: USA

Holmstrom, I think bungie may go back to work on marathon after Halo: Reach.

Anyway, my favorite games are

Assassins Creed 2 - because I can start brawls between thugs and the guards. Favorite spot for this is venice
Bioshock - scared me at some parts
Fear 2 - wasn't scary, I just liked it
Halo 3 - ranked playlist, swat, is mainly the reason why
Fallout 3 - because when I get bored, I got on killing sprees and I get to dismember people during it
Gears of War 2 - the game was fun. Horde mode was good also

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-10, 09:08 PM
Slave to Heresy!

Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

FIFA
Footy Manager
FUMBBL

All else is shit.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-10, 09:58 PM

In no particular order;

• Tekken 3, happy happy memories on this game.

• Silent Hill 2, I see your Event Horizon and raise it with zombie on zombie rape

• Ocarina of Time, Engrossing story, far far superior to FF

• Super Mario Bro's 3, the first Mario I ever played

• God Of War, Proof that Khorne had his zerkers even back in Ancient Greece

• RF Online, I wasted years of my life playing this game, its like being addicted to crack no one ever truely quits.

• [Space reserved for either Dark Millenium or Space Marine]
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-10, 11:05 PM

In no particular order:
  • Unreal Tournament - The orginal. Brilliant game all round, possibly my favourite FPS of all time.
  • Fallout 3 - One of my favourite games by far. Whilst it isn't like the original Fallouts, there has been a hell of a lot of detail gone into this game. Hopefully another space on this will pop up soon for Fallout New Vegas.
  • Pacman - Sounds silly but this is one of the greatest games in history. Anyone who argues otherwise is a douche.
  • Dead Rising - There are many zombie horror survival games I like, but this is by far one of my favourites in the genre. Can't wait for Dead Rising 2.
  • Space Invaders - same reason as Pacman.

I'm sure there's loads of others I've missed out but these are the ones that just popped up in my head at the moment.

Regards,
Jake.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-10, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
Holmstrom, I think bungie may go back to work on marathon after Halo: Reach.
They'd better evemtually. It would work, and it would be awesome. Marathon was legit. Though they said they're working on a brand new IP. While it may be possible for their studio to create two games at once now, I think it'll be a while.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-10, 05:17 AM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Hard question, most of my stuff is old school. In no order:

Chrono Trigger (SNES, PS1, DS) Best RPG ever.
Everquest (PC) The best MMO I have ever played. Nothing has compaired.
Suikoden Series (PS1, PS2) My personal favorite RPG series. Except IV, it sucked.
Secret of Mana (SNES) Favorite Action RPG. Zelda is a close second. Very close.
Resident Evil 4 (PS2) Best PS2 game they ever made. Excellent in every way.
Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast GameCube) Great RPG that was just different.
Castlevania SoTN (PS1) Best Castlevania game and my favorite action game.
Dragon Force (Saturn) Favorite Strategy game.
Super Mario World (SNES) Favorite Mario Game. Mario 3 was good but World takes it.
Dragon Warrior(NES) First RPG I ever played

EDIT: I Forgot Current Gen systems:
Borderlands (PS3/360) This game is just a blast.
Uncharted 2 (PS3) Its worth buying a PS3 just for this game. It is one of the greatest games of all time. Easily.

Last edited by Wusword77; 06-29-10 at 05:31 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-10, 05:43 AM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

Mass Effect2
I have a Scottish engineer, an alien science officer, laser guns, a starship and I get to fuck alien chick that walks. I AM CAPTAIN KIRK! That’s about it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode