Dead Space 2 - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-22-10, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosRedCorsairLord View Post
Although it was a solid game I don't really classify it as scary. It was certainly startling the first couple of times a necromorph I thought was dead jumped up and bit my eyebrows off, or one snuck up on me in a vacuum and did terrible things to poor, poor Isaac. But after the 3rd or 4th time... it's just not scary. The scariest games are the ones when you cannot predict when the 'scares' are going to occur. It's a bit of personal preference too, I prefer my mindfuck fear over my monster fear.
But in Dead Space you very often can't tell when anything is going to happen. Ive played through the game twice and it still surprises me all the time, its just that good.

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-23-10, 07:33 AM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
But in Dead Space you very often can't tell when anything is going to happen. Ive played through the game twice and it still surprises me all the time, its just that good.
We must have been playing a different game.

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-23-10, 08:57 PM

FEAR has been a fun series so far, of course. But I was never freaked out about it. I found the ghosts to be just really annoying rather than scary. All they did was get in your face and make a ton of noise, but a single bullet would dissipate them. That, and the mech sequence in 2 was just waaaaaay too short. You just don't dangle a sexy killing machine like that and only give me 15 minutes of carnage.

Regardless. Dead Space certainly wasn't as predictable as Doom 3.
post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-23-10, 09:28 PM

arturslv's Flag is: Latvia

man, i played my friend's dead space 1, got to chapter 8, but it was too damn scary. you got to love the graphics, especially lighting. looks very good.
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-24-10, 08:25 AM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmstrom View Post
FEAR has been a fun series so far, of course. But I was never freaked out about it. I found the ghosts to be just really annoying rather than scary. All they did was get in your face and make a ton of noise, but a single bullet would dissipate them. That, and the mech sequence in 2 was just waaaaaay too short. You just don't dangle a sexy killing machine like that and only give me 15 minutes of carnage.

Regardless. Dead Space certainly wasn't as predictable as Doom 3.
Wash your mouth out with soap, besides the horror fear is a terrible game. I was just pointing out something the game does well. Condemned is probably a better example of mindfuck horror.

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-24-10, 07:13 PM

'Fun' in my book doesn't mean 'I play it all the time'. I played both FEAR and FEAR 2 once. Never more, and never again. Some of the weapons in FEAR 2 were interesting to use, and the environments were interesting as well. Story? Rubbish.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-28-10, 02:51 PM

Zer0's Flag is: United Kingdom

FEAR never really scared me. I'd have to say that the scariest game I've ever played was Aliens Vs. Predator because you could be killed so bloody quickly that you had to stay on edge the whole time.
I think Dead Space 2 having more action could be a good thing, sort of like how Aliens was more of an action movie than Alien was. We've already seen the Necromorphs, we know what they can do (yes, they have new ones, but the basic idea is the same) so having more firepower but still fighting a losing battle against them will add more tension than just retreading the same feel as the first game.
By the way, did anyone notice that Dead Space borrowed a lot from System Shock 2, or am I the only one who feels that way?
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-04-10, 08:04 PM

Haven't played System Shock, really, but there was a buzz a few years ago about an apparent sequel to it. Due to the success of BioShock, (developed by the same studio), it's possible they put the project on hold indefinitely.
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-07-10, 02:22 PM

Zer0's Flag is: United Kingdom

Holmstrom, I'd highly recommend getting my hands on a copy of System Shock 2 (haven't played 1, and I doubt you could get it running on a modern system). It's a very creepy cyber-punk mix of RPG and FPS. BioShock was supposedly a 'spiritual successor' to System Shock and I had heard rumors that it had jump-started interest in a third SS game. Here's hoping.

Back to Dead Space 2: anyone notice how, in the E3 video, in what looks like a church the columns are all patterned after the marker? I'm guessing it's a unitologist church. I always thought the sequel would be set in one of those mausoleum ships that were mentioned in the first game. Think about it; an entire ship full of dead bodies infected by the Necromorphs and you are stuck in the middle.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-07-10, 02:28 PM

Yeah, they say it's a unitology church in one of the E3 clips. What is said to be is that Isaac is institutionalized in that city when things begin going crazy once again. Due to his expertise in having dealt with the necromorphs before hand, one way or another, you start fighting them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode