Dead Space 2 - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-17-10, 03:07 AM

You two do make valid remarks on that subject...and I see Resident Evil as a proper franchise to compare this game to in some respects. Personally, I thought Resident Evil 5 was vomituous. It was pure action, which I didn't mind too much, but the real killer was the spamming of quick-time events out of the ass that made cutscenes more of a chore than an eye-candy break from the gameplay.

Dead Space was the best survival horror game I've played, in my opinion, which understandably would differ between others. It wasn't predictable the way Doom 3 was and considering 95% of the game takes place inside a single starship, (a brief portion of the game takes place on a planets surface for those who haven't played the first game), the developers did an impressive job creating a diverse environment for the players to survive through.

I feel that factor will be a little easier for the developers to achieve now that you are in a massive city in Dead Space 2. But it does, as a consequence, make sense for the game to be more action oriented when such a massive Human population is exposed to the artifacts influence. The scare-factor may be severed in large part, but if it's anything like the original that doesn't mean situations will be extremely tense for the player.

I can accept that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-17-10, 11:15 AM

Dead Space 2 looks amazing, the first one was a brilliant game and it looks like its sequel will stand up to its expectations.

Regards,
Jake.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-17-10, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Personally I dont agree that Dead Space 2 will be any less scary then the original. The Necromorphs dont have an overriding drive to find Isaac so its not like he will be hunted across the city. That demo looks even better then the original with the addition of The Pack and even the city itself is out to get Isaac.

Im confident that Dead Space 2 will be just as scary and perhaps even scarier then Dead Space. I just hope they dont add co-op campaign. That will remove one of the key aspects that makes Dead Space scary, you are alone.

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-17-10, 07:20 PM

i'm alittle concerned they said feedback from the first game was that it was too scary.. i didn't think so.
i played it on hard mode, in the dark.
yeah, it WAS scary, i was twitching at everything because of the fear, but it was a great game.
tone down the scary and well.. i feel some of the allure of the game is gone.
of course, you are playing a formerly insane survivor of the ishimura.. i suspect you will have quite a few moments where your not sure whats real or not.

heck, dead space: extraction was good for that vibe..

one thing i have read about for the sequel is that they wanted to add moments where your new gun kicks ass, or you take up a turret and gun down a bunch, giving you an exciting action dominating moment over the enemies, and then, when you have to leave your safe zone protected by a turret, it goes back to being alone, and risky.

btw am i the only guy who decoded the writing in the first game? there were 'keys' people had written in their own blood around, saying what symbols mean what letters in english, i translated a few of the things on the walls i saw... very creepy

Last edited by Grimdarkkommissar; 06-17-10 at 07:25 PM.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-10, 03:28 AM

They really said that, Grimdarkkommissar? TOO scary? Too Scary = They did their job right, if you ask me. Playing that game for the very first time stoned out of my mind was far out. That game had my heart beating. But as tense as that game was, and how difficult it could be at times, I always had a drive of curiosity to push on. Not to mention to soak up more of the excitement. It was a wonderful game.

As far as throwing a turret or something at you here and there...I think that would be cool. I'm sure that would serve as a huge moral boost for Isaac if he was able to mow down enemies he had been struggling to fight off for a while.

As far as the coded messages, I didn't decode the writing myself, but I did read up on some of it online. It definitely is some crazy stuff.

Also, I just found out that Peter Mensah voiced the Security Chief in the first game (Hidalgo/The Incredible Hulk/300/Tears of The Sun/Spartacus: Blood and Sand). Not that he is a well known actor or anything, but I thought that was kinda interesting. I thought that voice sounded familiar.

Last edited by Holmstrom; 06-18-10 at 03:32 AM.
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-10, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

More Dead Space 2

http://uk.pc.ign.com/dor/objects/142...0.html?show=hi

We have a longer demo showing off Isaac's new suit, new Necromorphs like the Pack and the Puker and an unidentified Necromorph at the end, brand new Zero-G, a few brand new guns, new telekinesis abilities and the new hacking mini-game. And for the first time, here Isaac Clarke speak... a pivotal moment for the franchise.

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-10, 06:20 PM

That was a good fix, Lord of the Night. Gotta love the silence of vacuum combat.
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-10, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Yeah, the utter silence makes it even scarier. Especially when the Necromorphs move on you, in total silence.

post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-21-10, 01:54 AM

Kinda funny that a lot of games/movies add sound to space when I think it has a more haunting effect without it. Having one of your most important senses cut off should bring a sense of awe to the viewer/player.
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-21-10, 07:02 AM

I often find Horrors or similar games much scarier when silent to. Lots of loud noises doesn't make anything scary for me to be honest. Another thing horrors try and do to make things scary is add a 'startling' noise when something turns up (like in Resident Evil 5 whenever you come close to an enemy or a 'boss' enemy) but this for me just makes it a lot less scary, plus it lets me know when something's close.

Therefore IMO Dead Space got it spot on! I hope they haven't tried to make it less scary though, it was what I loved about Dead Space.

Regards,
Jake.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode