Red Faction: Armageddon - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-10, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Default Red Faction: Armageddon

Well, a doggie biscuit of a teaser has been released by the THQ gods pertaining to the upcoming installment of the Red Faction series. Following closely to the previous game, Guerrilla, Armageddon will be a 3rd person shooter and take place on the surface of Mars...or under it, rather.

In the teaser we see that life didn't kick off too well after the Earth Defense Force was 'removed' from the planet. A race of beings had been discovered inhabiting the underground of Mars, and aren't enjoying the company of the Human rebels. So the plot is undoubtedly some adventure to fight these creatures off.

Most likely I'd bet they are not really aliens in the sense, but the result of some Ultor Corporation experiment that had been vaulted away. Though that is pure speculation.

Anyway, it appears the same engine in all of its glory will be making an improved debut. As we see in the teaser, your character has access to an arm mounted Reconstructor tool which may hint to grander toys later on. (This tool was the pinnacle of enemy player humiliation in Guerrilla's multiplayer mode. )

Now, right away anyone who's played too much Guerrilla will know how this game will turn out. I'm willing to bet that it will have the same mediocre, albeit fun, single player campaign alongside an underrated multiplayer mode overshadowed by the FPS kings.

I found it a shame that Guerrilla lacked the multiplayer community it deserved, but I'm not certain a lot of people could handle it in a way. Why do I think this? Well, basically any time I would grab a jet pack...I would slaughter everyone.

Nobody...ever...looked up! You could miss a dozen times and they'd still be trying to find out from the ground by peeking in to windows, doorways, ect...every idiot might as well have just dropped their weapon and laid down for you.

But enough of that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-10, 06:15 AM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

If they fix the issues with the single player (like the fact that you're basicly soloing the entire Earth Defence Force) then I'd look into getting it. If they give a sweet Co-Op mode for the regular campagin then I'd pick it up for sure.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-10, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

I agree, Wusword777. A better campaign and some co-op capability would be awesome. I really wanna take that suit if power armor for a spin, too.

They did mention they would start shifting closer to the franchise roots, but I fear that all they did was place most of the game underground. But if you ask me, Red Faction should have stayed as an FPS, I say. The 3rd person did work well, true, but I was uncomfortable with the change. It made multiplayer a little too easy.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-10, 09:15 AM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

hopefully they'll fix the problems of the last one, my main gripe was that there wasn't much to destroy, yes I know its an entire planet, but all the buildings were copy paste of each other, and in the FPS version you could blow holes so much you could dig into walls hundreds of feet just for the hell of it.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-10, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

You know...I thought the same thing. Although I appreciated the vast expanses of Martian wasteland. It was kind of trippy to drive out through silent canyons to mine. Not to mention poking around those abandoned marauder settlements.

Anyway, I agree. Especially in Eos. When I was playing through the game, I was eagerly awaiting to be fighting amongst a congested city of massive buildings towards the end. But, no. Not even close...The architecture changed a little, they threw in some snow and snazzy holograms...but that was really it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-10, 01:17 PM

Horgh's Flag is: United Kingdom

If it's third person - very no. I can't imagine what they were thinking turning a FPS into a 3rdPS, I can't understand it at all.

I AM A MESSIAH OF SORTS.
PROBABLY.

Making my CSM suit, topic is here.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-10, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Me neither. My best conjecture is that when they decided to expand the game in to a large sandbox environment, they thought a 3rd person perspective would be better as it forces the camera away from the lack of detail associated with such games. So the player won't feel as though he is stuck in a poorly detailed world. This also allows the shooting to be much less...complex...than a FPS is.

I would have settled for a more linear game in first person than what they pulled. Maybe bring the vehicles in to 3rd person like most other games for ease of use, too. But nothing more. Using the jetpack was really easy with the 3rd person perspective, but I've played enough games (SW: Battlefront, for example) to know how to use a jetpack in the first person flawlessly after a bit of practice.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-10, 08:02 AM

Horgh's Flag is: United Kingdom

I also hated the fact that the terrain looked destructible... and it totally wasn't.

Sweet, a rocket launcher! KAPOW.... why hasn't that cliff face been destroyed?

It's as if they made red faction into a completely different game, a very bad game.

I AM A MESSIAH OF SORTS.
PROBABLY.

Making my CSM suit, topic is here.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode