Dante's Inferno - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-10, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

TheSpore's Flag is: USA

Default Dante's Inferno

I dont understand why so many have bashed this game. sure it was a god of war clone but being a fan of the devine comedy i believe it was a great game.

the imagery was well on and the gameply was fun. The plot although was changed for well good reason. the game just wouldnt be fun about gettin a tour of hell was good. did anyone else like this game or did everyone hate cause right now i feel like the only one who liked.

Oh yeah I think what really bothers me is that many of the younger folk never even knew it was an old classic piece of literary art

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-10, 04:29 AM
Senior Moderator

I think the fact that most people who have played the game have never actually read the Divine Comedy, and so for them all they see is a God of War clone and nothing more.

Personally I thought it was fun, and completely understood the changes they had to make, because as you said whats fun about a tour of the levels of hell? Fighting your way to save your beloved and the twist at the end, now those make for far more fun.

A friend of mine watched me play it, he actually didn't like it because they are taking the divine comedy and screwing it around, to use his words. Personally though, I can't wait for the next one, assuming they make a game for each of the novels.

That being said, no your not alone TheSpore; I thought the game was pretty fun myself. Felt the eight level was a bit of a cop out, but I was wailing on the big man himself by the time I got to level nine. I didn't get to max level on either side, but level six holy and unholy with most of the abilities makes for more than fun play.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-10, 11:16 AM
Febris Militarius

Medic Marine's Flag is: Australia

I only rented it for a day off I had and never got far but it made me like thirdperson action games again. I wanna read the Divine Comedy now, having played this game.

Life is all anatomy lessons and paint brushes
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-10, 05:25 PM

sure it's God of War-esque but the distinct visuals, story, and atmosphere set it apart from GoW
I loved it
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-10, 05:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontytheMighty View Post
sure it's God of War-esque but the distinct visuals, story, and atmosphere set it apart from GoW
I loved it
Hold on a second, lets look at things for a moment:

Your a warrior beset by some divine entity, you obtain some fairly powerful weapon and then go on a quest to set things right, getting pitted against all manner of daemons and minions of said divine entity and having to face the horrors of your own past.

By games end you learn of some horrible twist in everything thats happened, and after overcoming said twist you (the gamer this time) discover its not over.

Thats like a scene for scene ripoff of god of war, the main difference is the backdrop of the story. (The Divine Comedy in this case as opposed to the destruction of the greek gods in God of War.)

Even the idea behind the games is the same, an altered take on some past story. Dante's Inferno was fun, but don't kid yourself into thinking that it is not God of War with slightly different visuals.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-10, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Hold on a second, lets look at things for a
Even the idea behind the games is the same, an altered take on some past story. Dante's Inferno was fun, but don't kid yourself into thinking that it is not God of War with slightly different visuals.
backdrop very different, motivation of main character different I think

Dante is more about atonement, Kratos is all about vengeance! vengeance! ra ra ra!

Dante is a much more interesting character imo

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode