The great debate: XBox 360 or PS3 - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-10, 11:16 AM

CodeMasterMike's Flag is: Austria

I think the most important thing to consider when choosing one of these, is what kind of games you enjoy playing the most. Both systems have their share of action games and sport games, and most bigger games come to both of them. So check out the different
exclusive games, which might wet your apetite most.

To me, Xbox360 seems to be more action-based games (GoW, Halo), where PS3 is more to the RPG and adventure games (Final Fantasy, Heavy Rain, Metal Gear Solid).

I own myself a Xbox360, and I like it alot! I have no urges to get a PS3 at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-10, 11:18 AM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

Since I have neither BUT have played on both and an avid follower on IGN I have to say that the PS3 is better. This is because the graphics are slightly better in HD than an XBOX and although the catalogue of games is smaller there are some great exclusive titles in there such as Metal Gear Solid 4, Motorstorm, God of War 3 out soon, Uncharted 2. PSN is also great for online although it is not as good as XBOX LIVE. One thing I have not noticed is news of a PS3 ever breaking. On contrast I have heard plenty of stories of 360's breaking down.

One thing to bear in mind though is IF you want a console is that most games nowadays come out on most platforms (my wii loses out here).

My personal taste is a wii which is hilarious with friends or drunk and no I have never broken my TV screen even when drunk so I do not understand those retards who have. My first choice though is a pumped out PC
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-25-10, 06:20 AM

Kale Hellas's Flag is: Australia

i suggest look for wich one comes with the best deal at your local electronics store its what i did or find out if any of your friends have games they don't like and are willing to give away then buy the console to the platform the games run on, i have a 360 i would get a ps3 if they brought out better games but at the moment the 360 has a better range

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-25-10, 06:32 AM
Death Before Dishonour

WarlordKaptainGrishnak's Flag is: Australia

I had a 360, and really, it was that crash hot, yes it has 360 only games such as the Halo market, and gear of war (which will be on PC if you can wait) and paying to play a game which you may have just spent $70-80+ on isn't...a positive.

I sold the 360 and got a PS3, which i am much happier with, better quality with game graphics due to using blu-ray (games on bluray discs), no online fee, extensive library of downloads and game addons, some good PS3 only games (uncharted 2 had me sold to get the PS3)

on performance both i would say are equal, and not matter what people will either take sides or be neutral, though there are console-specific games for both 90% of games are for both consoles, so it balances out

happy choosing i guess
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-25-10, 07:49 AM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Newman View Post
One thing I have not noticed is news of a PS3 ever breaking. On contrast I have heard plenty of stories of 360's breaking down.
plenty of PS3's have broken, I know 2 people who have gone through 3 and 4 already (and then had to put up with there shitty customer service attitude of "we don't give a shit, buy a new one asswipe"), its just not as advertised since people like to kick microsoft when there down and would never admit Sony can do anything wrong

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-25-10, 08:09 AM

dobbins's Flag is: England

In the simplest terms:
- If you want a greater games catalogue get a 360
- If you want a blu-ray player plus a console get a PS3
- For online gaming get either, but Microsoft will charge you, however, more people are on Xbox Live.

N.B. New Xboxes don't breakdown unless you play with it for hours on end and deny it of proper ventilation, even then you've got to really try hard to bust it. Plus, they've changed the processor chips a number of times to overcome the "red ring of death". I've had my elite for over a year and had no problems, despite it not even having the latest chips in it.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-10, 04:02 AM

i happen to have both so i can give you an accurate answer.
PS3's are probably the better choice, and for this there are several reasons:

on xbox you need to pay for live so you can play online
on ps3 online gaming is free and not full of american nerds that have lisps and tell you that you are a n00b.

also with internet, xbox requires your to buy the wireless adapter sperately, which costs nearly $100 AU (i think)
but ps3's wireless adapter is built in.

xbox controllers have battery packs, with which you must replace the batteries or an alternative is to buy rechargeable battery packs.
on ps3's the rechargeable battery pack is built in.

on the topic of the controllers, the actual layout of the controller doesnt matter, they are both equal. i cant see anything wrong with either of them. the only benifit that one has over the other is that the ps3 has a movement sensor built into it, but thats not a big deal because you hardly use it anyway.

the plus side of xbox is the large amount of games that it has, it depends on what you like they are all good on both consoles, but if your into online gameplay ps3 would be the better choice.

so yea, choose well...

Some Guinness was spilled on the barroom floor
when the pub was shut for the night.
Out of his hole crept a wee brown mouse
and stood in the pale moonlight.
He lapped up the frothy brew from the floor,
then back on his haunches he sat.
And all night long you could hear him roar,
'Bring on the goddam cat!'
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-10, 11:45 AM

Concrete Hero's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emo Computer Guy O_o View Post

on xbox you need to pay for live so you can play online
on ps3 online gaming is free and not full of american nerds that have lisps and tell you that you are a n00b.
While it is true you have to pay, it is only 40 for 12 monthes of Xbox Live. Xbox Live is also a lot more heavily populated than the PS3 version. The decision breaker for me is that most people I know have a 360, rather than a PS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emo Computer Guy O_o View Post
also with internet, xbox requires your to buy the wireless adapter sperately, which costs nearly $100 AU (i think)
but ps3's wireless adapter is built in.
It requires you to buy the wireless adapter separately IF you want wireless Xbox live. The much cheaper and faster solution is just just use an Ethernet cable, which is more stable than wireless.

Just some thoughts.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-27-10, 09:25 PM

i agree with both the things you said concrete hero, im just a bit bias...
it kinda helps if you have wireless sometimes if you dont have your ethernet plug wired down to where you have your console.

Some Guinness was spilled on the barroom floor
when the pub was shut for the night.
Out of his hole crept a wee brown mouse
and stood in the pale moonlight.
He lapped up the frothy brew from the floor,
then back on his haunches he sat.
And all night long you could hear him roar,
'Bring on the goddam cat!'
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-28-10, 07:23 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

I got both systems, and as someone who works in the industry I can tell you it really comes down to looking at the games available on both systems. The only real game breaker in the hardware is the Blu Ray Player in the PS3. If you're a movie buff and can't afford both a Blu-Ray and a system I'd go with a PS3 otherwise its time to compare.

Xbox 360 Pros:
1. Xbox Live is vastly superior to the PSN (Playstation Network) while you have to pay for the service to play with your friends it is well worth the cost.
2. A good number of games are programed for the 360 in mind, so they will run slightly better on the 360, Look at Bayonneta as a good example of this.
3. The 360 is currently used as the "standard" system for MLG (Major League Gaming) so if you want to play on a "professional" level and play against the best people, that's the system to get.

Xbox 360 Cons:
1. Exclusive titles have gotten somewhat weak. Halo Wars, Halo 3 ODST, Left for Dead 2 were not very well recived by the general public. Gears of War 2 had great sales numbers but many were disapponted in the game itself.
2. 360 runs an insanely high failure rate (54%), the system requires a $100 wireless adapter, and will make cd's unreadable seemingly at random.
3. Lack of Blu-Ray support makes publishers have to "reduce" the size of games (see FFXIII) to fit on DVD's.

PS3 Pros:
1. Blu-Ray support. Larger Disk space allows publishers to use uncompressed video for better quality, more bonus features (see Batman Arkham Aslyum, Dante's Inferno) and no changing of CD's.
2. Strength of Exclusive titles: Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank are two series that have been given awards this year and other exclusives are on the rise. MLB the Show (if your a baseball fan) gained praise from EA Sports for the quality of the game.
3. Publishers have been releasing "Game of the Year" editions of games (see Fallout 3, Star Ocean the Last Hope International Edition) that have all the DLC (Downloadable Content) on one Disc for the PS3 for some games that were once 360 exclusives.

PS3 Cons:
1. PSN is not as strong as Xbox Live. There is no argument here. While the network is free for online play it suffers from lag and microphone problems that are just not present on the 360.
2. No playing of PS2 or PS1 games. That's right if you purchase the system new you can't play your PS1 or PS2 games on he system. Some PS1 games are available for download but they run from $5-$10 a piece. You can find some used first generation systems, which could play PS1 and PS2, but they are expensive and with much smaller hard drives.
3. Slower/fewer DLC releases for PS3. Publishers will sometimes give exclusive DLC releases for the 360, or will release them on that format first.

They're both strong systems with he same price tag ($299.99), I do not count the Xbox 360 Arcade as it is an incomplete system. Games wise lets list below:

Xbox 360 exclusives:
Gears of War 1 & 2
Left for Dead 1 & 2
Halo 3, 3ODST, Wars
Splinter Cell Conviction
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Forza 2 & 3

PS3 exclusives:
Uncharted 1 & 2
Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, A Crack in Time
Infamous
Killzone 2
MLB The Show (yearly Baseball)
Gran Turismo Prologe & 5
White Knight Chronicles
Valkeria Chronicles

Go and goggle those titles and see what system you want from there. I can tell you I personally prefer my PS3, mainly because of the variety of styles of exclusives (360 focuses mostly on shooters, PS3 has a RPGs and adventure games in addition to shooters). In today's market there are very few exclusives released, most games are available on both.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode