EVE online - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-14-10, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

DAvo001's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default EVE online

Hi, i was thinking of getting EVE but i cant find out much about the actual gameplay of the game. do you command fleets or a ship are the controls simple like homeworld or more like Nexus : jupiter incident. what are the battles like. resourse management. skill progresion ect.
Also what are the prices for the subscription and such.

if someone who plays it could explain. i would be grateful

black Templars Utopa Crusade of about 12000pts
for when you gota shoop da whoop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-14-10, 09:19 PM

used to play it for ages a few years back, good game, alot to learn and youhave to be smart to be any good at it really.

you can fly one ship at a time, lots of different types, drone boats, long range, point black, fast ones, big ones and whatnot

skilling up takes a long time really, if you started today it would be about 6 months before you could fly a decent ship. combat isnt bad, its pretty much ganking people though, whoeverh as the most ships usually wins

I always knew I was an unwanted child when my bathtoys were an electric toaster and an alarm clock radio.http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6067&dateline=1226929  578

Currently playing:
Venomspam Dark Eldar, Dragiowing, Russel Crowe and his purifier buddies, Space wolves, Heresy Worldeaters (Countas BA)
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-14-10, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAvo001 View Post
Hi, i was thinking of getting EVE but i cant find out much about the actual gameplay of the game. do you command fleets or a ship are the controls simple like homeworld or more like Nexus : jupiter incident. what are the battles like. resourse management. skill progresion ect.
Also what are the prices for the subscription and such.

if someone who plays it could explain. i would be grateful
You control a ship, you have to increase your kill capacity in order to get new ships and new weapons for said ships, when you join a corp (its like a guild) then you can do massive pvp type battles as you increase what ships you use.

Other then that you can also have up to 3 characters, most people make 3 and make them do certain things, like a miner for one, a transporter for another and their pvp or pve mission base ( basicly you fly around shooting and killing things.)

Its a fun game that is VERY VERY time consuming.

Splinter Fleet taka Ryuu 6W/1D/2L
Undying Loyalty for my cause: 1
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-14-10, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbo View Post
used to play it for ages a few years back, good game, alot to learn and youhave to be smart to be any good at it really.

you can fly one ship at a time, lots of different types, drone boats, long range, point black, fast ones, big ones and whatnot

skilling up takes a long time really, if you started today it would be about 6 months before you could fly a decent ship. combat isnt bad, its pretty much ganking people though, whoeverh as the most ships usually wins
Not so much anymore it took me a month to fly a REALLY good lv4 mission tank drake.

Splinter Fleet taka Ryuu 6W/1D/2L
Undying Loyalty for my cause: 1
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-16-10, 08:44 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
This is BS, in my opinion. You can be good to go for PVP and have a real use in a fleet fight within a day. Two at most. Actually, for PVP, you'll be preferring cheaper ships to expensive and hard to utilize ships for a good long while.

Personally, of all the ships in the game, I'm constantly drawn back to basic cruisers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysenis View Post
Other then that you can also have up to 3 characters, most people make 3 and make them do certain things, like a miner for one, a transporter for another and their pvp or pve mission base ( basicly you fly around shooting and killing things.)

Its a fun game that is VERY VERY time consuming.
Personally, I'd entirely disagree with this too.
You can only train one skill at a time per account (not per character). This is fine, though, as it's generally the smartest idea to put as much into one character as possible so they will always have a use no matter what you want to do. Most people who have multiple characters have multiple accounts. If nothing else, this allows you to open two copies of the client and work as a 'pair' by yourself.

As for being time consuming, training is completely passive and time based as opposed to experience/grind based. This means that if you feel like playing, you can play. If you don't feel like playing, just set a longer skill to train and go do something else for a while.

Making money is what takes time, but even that's not as time consuming as you'd think.

As a final bit of advice, I leave you with these. Don't play if you intend to become a miner. There's too many people mining as it is, and it's boring as all hell.

And if you do play, try stuff. Never be afraid to try something. If it's a stupid idea but it works, it's not stupid.

Last edited by WoRLoKKeD; 01-16-10 at 11:40 PM.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-10, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
This is BS, in my opinion. You can be good to go for PVP and have a real use in a fleet fight within a day. Two at most. Actually, for PVP, you'll be preferring cheaper ships to expensive and hard to utilize ships for a good long while.

Personally, of all the ships in the game, I'm constantly drawn back to basic cruisers.
The only use you can be is a tackler, and in a t1 frigate a tackler dies very quickly, other than that maybe a maulus or something, but yes they die very quickly aswell. So yes you can pvp within a day or so, but you will be cannon fodder. And flying a t1 cruiser into pvp is pretty mad unless your hunting people who don't really have a clue. Back in the day i flew a 270+ million isk vagabond and only lost 2 or 3 of them with over a couple of thousand kills to my name.

If you ask my interceptors are the best way to get into pvp, cheap fun.

I always knew I was an unwanted child when my bathtoys were an electric toaster and an alarm clock radio.http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6067&dateline=1226929  578

Currently playing:
Venomspam Dark Eldar, Dragiowing, Russel Crowe and his purifier buddies, Space wolves, Heresy Worldeaters (Countas BA)
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-10, 04:43 PM

Quote:
The only use you can be is a tackler, and in a t1 frigate a tackler dies very quickly, other than that maybe a maulus or something, but yes they die very quickly aswell. So yes you can pvp within a day or so, but you will be cannon fodder. And flying a t1 cruiser into pvp is pretty mad unless your hunting people who don't really have a clue. Back in the day i flew a 270+ million isk vagabond and only lost 2 or 3 of them with over a couple of thousand kills to my name.

If you ask my interceptors are the best way to get into pvp, cheap fun.
A Rifter or Merlin can be a day-1 serial killer. Get in a close orbit and let fly with ACs or light blasters with a pure speed tank. Sure, nanos have been nerfed to hell, but even so, a nanorifter is damn nigh untouchable even for rookies. It's the practice that's holding them back more than the skills and usable equipment.

And T1 cruisers pretty mad? They weren't when I originally stopped playing in 07 and they still aren't now I'm playing again. The Rupture is a thing of pure evil, and the Vexor is a mini-Domi. Caldari are still frankly shite and Amarr cruisers make some really nice support platforms.

Vagas are good, yeah, but with some clever sideways trickery, you can get pretty much the same performance for 1/10th of the price.

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-10, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
A Rifter or Merlin can be a day-1 serial killer. Get in a close orbit and let fly with ACs or light blasters with a pure speed tank. Sure, nanos have been nerfed to hell, but even so, a nanorifter is damn nigh untouchable even for rookies. It's the practice that's holding them back more than the skills and usable equipment.

And T1 cruisers pretty mad? They weren't when I originally stopped playing in 07 and they still aren't now I'm playing again. The Rupture is a thing of pure evil, and the Vexor is a mini-Domi. Caldari are still frankly shite and Amarr cruisers make some really nice support platforms.

Vagas are good, yeah, but with some clever sideways trickery, you can get pretty much the same performance for 1/10th of the price.

Getting within 10k with any frigate is a death trap you will just get webbed and die or get owned by drones, and t1 cruisers are terrible compared to hacs, poor resistances, low damage bonuses are just the start :p

Currently playing:
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-10, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Getting within 10k with any frigate is a death trap you will just get webbed and die or get owned by drones, and t1 cruisers are terrible compared to hacs, poor resistances, low damage bonuses are just the start :p
If you're in web range, so are they. A rifter works best when it's up close n' nasty, and no T1 frig can speedtank like the Incursus.

And as for T1 cruisers, while they're not as good in pure stat/math ways, they're 10x more cost-efficient, at least for the high-risk professions that there's no point in throwing T2 and faction at. For alliance wars and the like, when there's sov at stake, I agree, use all you have at your disposal, but for piracy and more casual roaming PVP (My preferred type of play) I couldn't suggest against this enough.

As a headhunter and pirate in game, I don't have to, and it's often beneficial to not kill my opponent. I just have to disable them to make them listen to my demands. And hell, play it right and you can take (or more precisely leave dead in the water) faction BSs and Marauders in a T1 cruiser. Mission rats don't listen to reason, so it keeps them under pressure.

While I have a fair few various T2 ships sitting fitted and good to go, there's no point in undocking them for a lot of what I do. Underestimating the always-valid use of T1 gear is the absolute worst thing someone can do. Some of the fail 'throw money at it' fits I've taken down have frankly been mercy killings for sad ships with overly-rich and overconfident pilots.

Last edited by WoRLoKKeD; 01-19-10 at 07:39 AM.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-10, 07:50 AM

BiOHaTe's Flag is: Australia

Way to time consuming to get to the good parts for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LearningCurve.jpg (49.1 KB, 18 views)

"If man dedicates his life to good deeds and welfare of others, he will die unthanked and unremembered. If he excercises his genius bringing misery and death to billions, his name will echo down through the millennia for a hundred lifetimes. Infamy is always more preferable to ignominy. "
- Fabius Bile at the Desecration of Kanzuz IX

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode