EVE online - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-24-10, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
DAvo001's Avatar
DAvo001's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wirral
Posts: 189
Reputation: 1
Default

thanks guys for the info and advice.
and the graph made me laugh too

i think ill have a go and see if i can get into it

black Templars Utopa Crusade of about 12000pts
for when you gota shoop da whoop
DAvo001 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-24-10, 04:27 PM
Senior Member
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,008
Reputation: 17


Default

I know your looking for gameplay info, I thought I'd throw in some unbiased gameplay observations. Keep in mind I started/stopped playing 6 months ago. Incoming wall of text.


I tried the 2 week trial and frankly was not impressed. It's not that the game is crap, it's just full of good ideas that have been poorly executed and overburdened with useless info/skills/equipment. Typical of all MMORPGs the story/missions are poorly executed and basically entail you doing some guy's; killing, collecting, mining or delivering. Money is insanely easy to make, but training skills takes forever. It's nice to have skills training while your not playing, but they could have at least made them train faster when you use them. The shear amount of skills is a bit bewildering. I realize they were trying to make very individual career options, but there's something like 200+ different skills available, it's a bit overkill.

Getting from place is realistic (well as realistic as computer game space travel can be). The problem is it takes ages to get to places, again I fail to see why some super-duper-warp-gatey-things couldn't be linked together and included in a few of the major systems to make travel faster. 0.4-0.3 systems are pretty safe, even for noobs, but anything less and you risk being anal raped by one of the many 'outlaws' (pvp players who kill you/ransom you).

The game is riddled with completely random skills/equipment. Skills like; Blood Raider Encryption Methods, Astrometric Rangefinding and Hydromagnetic Physics. What do these have to do with killing people?

The saddest thing of all is how the game looks. Some of the ships do look cool, but others are just plain bizarre. There's no ship customization/painter (but strangely a character customization even though you can't leave your pod). Even being able to change your ships colour would make it twice as fun, it's just boring seeing the same looking ships over and over. Customization doesn't have to be huge, being able to change little things would add the desired individuality. There's no damage mechanics, you ship looks brand new, up until the moment it explodes into lots of little pieces (except for a single pitiful little flame that happens when your ship is badly damaged).

Again I'm not saying the game is terrible, it's just lacks the fun and cool looks that spaceships deserve (personally it gets a 4/10 from me). Hope this helps, I find getting a negative view on something helps me to better understand it. Now lets wait for the inevitable fan outcry...

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...

Last edited by ChaosRedCorsairLord; 01-24-10 at 04:32 PM.
ChaosRedCorsairLord is offline  
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-24-10, 06:43 PM
Senior Member
 
WoRLoKKeD's Avatar
WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Training Stage
Posts: 1,251
Reputation: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosRedCorsairLord View Post
I know your looking for gameplay info, I thought I'd throw in some unbiased gameplay observations. Keep in mind I started/stopped playing 6 months ago. Incoming wall of text.


I tried the 2 week trial and frankly was not impressed.
It's not that the game is crap, it's just full of good ideas that have been poorly executed and overburdened with useless info/skills/equipment.
Everything in the game has it's uses. All information on weapons and ships plays a part in the overall limits of what they can do.

Quote:
Typical of all MMORPGs the story/missions are poorly executed and basically entail you doing some guy's; killing, collecting, mining or delivering. Money is insanely easy to make, but training skills takes forever. It's nice to have skills training while your not playing, but they could have at least made them train faster when you use them. The shear amount of skills is a bit bewildering. I realize they were trying to make very individual career options, but there's something like 200+ different skills available, it's a bit overkill.
The missions are just there to make money, really. And while it's easy to make a 'lot' of money (by the standard of other games), it's not as much as you originally think. It'll get you what you need, but it'll also often cause constraints on what you can get. This mainly facilitates getting into doing things quicker rather than spending weeks and weeks grinding the money to get it done.

As for the skills, it's working as intended. One of the inherent advantages of a purely time-based progression system is that people who are only online even a few hours a week progress just as fairly as people who are constantly logged on with nothing better to do. Again, it minimizes the endless grind.

As for the amount of skills, everything is easy enough to get into and it assures constant progression in something or another. While you're right, there is a hell of a lot of skills, this causes people to specialize and to naturally decide to work together as opposed to being able to become some one-man unstoppable money making fleet crusher.

Quote:
Getting from place is realistic (well as realistic as computer game space travel can be). The problem is it takes ages to get to places, again I fail to see why some super-duper-warp-gatey-things couldn't be linked together and included in a few of the major systems to make travel faster. 0.4-0.3 systems are pretty safe, even for noobs, but anything less and you risk being anal raped by one of the many 'outlaws' (pvp players who kill you/ransom you).
It very rarely takes ages to get anywhere except the most out of the way systems. While a fast-travel system works in classic MMOs, by it's very nature, EVE can't integrate it and function as it does at present. Trade routes that require thinking, planning and risk/reward are a major part of the game for all involved. What's more, if the mission and market hubs were to be linked in such a way, there'd be no reason for people to ever leave those already overpopulated and over-milked systems. So much for creating a massive game universe if not many people will see it.

Quote:
The game is riddled with completely random skills/equipment. Skills like; Blood Raider Encryption Methods, Astrometric Rangefinding and Hydromagnetic Physics. What do these have to do with killing people?
If you want to kill people constantly, train offensive and defensive skills. However, some people are into the exploration and discovery thing, so why should they suffer because most of us just want to nuke the ever-loving shit out of others? Just to break this all down with the examples you gave:

Blood Raider Encryption Methods: This would be used for people following an explorer's (or production. I forget) path. If they CHOOSE to train this (They're not forced at all. Nothing is forced on you in this game, pretty much) then the chances are they'll be exploring in a region where the Blood Raider NPCs have a pirate base.

Astrometric Rangefinding: This has a massive use for killing people. If you were to be in low or null security areas, the chances are you're sometimes going to be wanting to go on the hunt for people to attack. This makes scanning their whereabouts much quicker and easier, allowing you to get into the fight sooner.

Hydromagnetic Physics: EVE's economy is player-driven and manipulated. This includes the industry. These kind of skills are trained by the manufacturers of ships and gear to let them build much more advanced and more profitable gear, in the long run, keeping the people killing people...well...killing people.

Quote:
The saddest thing of all is how the game looks. Some of the ships do look cool, but others are just plain bizarre. There's no ship customization/painter (but strangely a character customization even though you can't leave your pod). Even being able to change your ships colour would make it twice as fun, it's just boring seeing the same looking ships over and over. Customization doesn't have to be huge, being able to change little things would add the desired individuality. There's no damage mechanics, you ship looks brand new, up until the moment it explodes into lots of little pieces (except for a single pitiful little flame that happens when your ship is badly damaged).
If people were to be able to paint and customize the ships, it'd make everything a whole lot less intuitive, as the ship classes and versions are shown by their colour and the minor but easily noticible differences that they have. In a large fight, this visual recognition is much easier than trying to see if that bright pink and flowery ship that's just locked onto you is a puny little frigate with peashooter guns or a hellspawned monstrosity that needs to be taken out ASAP before it calls in all it's capital ship friends to squish you into a fine paste.

If you'll get twice as much enjoyment from changing the colour of what are essentially mass produced killing machines, EVE is probably not your kind of game.
Quote:
Again I'm not saying the game is terrible, it's just lacks the fun and cool looks that spaceships deserve (personally it gets a 4/10 from me). Hope this helps, I find getting a negative view on something helps me to better understand it. Now lets wait for the inevitable fan outcry...
One of the main problems people seem to have with EVE, I think, is that it's marketed nowhere near as well as it could be for what it is.
Maybe being marketed in such a similar way to other MMOs is a really bad idea. I've always thought this.

A lot of people who I talk to who have tried the game have said that it's 'not as good as WOW'. Personally, I don't see how the two can be compared at all, as the only way they're even similar is the platform they're played on.
I mean, strictly speaking, I wouldn't even call EVE an MMORPG, unless you really want it to be. As a whole, it's much more similar to an Real Time Strategy. You have to plan your way through it, there's no real endgame, there's only what you want to do and whether or not you have the will to try and achieve that.
That's why those of us who do like the game really will give what you call the 'fan outcry'. EVE is so incredibly different to any other MMO it cant rightfully be compared when as said before, the only similarity is that it's massively multiplayer.

Essentially though, when all is said and done, the only advice I can give people is to ignore what everyone, of positive and negative opinions says, and try it for yourself. I'm able to get anyone who's interested a 21 day extended trial and hey, if you don't like the game, you have nothing to lose by not subscribing. If you do, that's one more potential ally and potential target for 300,000 people. ;)


Last edited by WoRLoKKeD; 02-01-10 at 01:57 AM.
WoRLoKKeD is offline  
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-23-10, 11:14 PM
Junior Member
 
zoldos's Avatar
zoldos's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: the US south
Posts: 20
Reputation: 1
Default

I personally love EVE. I am currently unemployed or I'd prolly be playing it right now. Does anyone know if my old account will still have eveything it had when I last played more than a year agp if I re-open my account?

As for gameplay, it is fairly straight forward as many have already said. Graphics are awesome which is something I like in games. Cool ships, lots to do, and a unique skill system make it worthwhile IMO.
zoldos is offline  
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-10, 12:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Gobbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 416
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoldos View Post
I personally love EVE. I am currently unemployed or I'd prolly be playing it right now. Does anyone know if my old account will still have eveything it had when I last played more than a year agp if I re-open my account?

As for gameplay, it is fairly straight forward as many have already said. Graphics are awesome which is something I like in games. Cool ships, lots to do, and a unique skill system make it worthwhile IMO.
should do i have left mine for years before and have come back and its all as it was. Shame i ebayed them all though having to start again now

I always knew I was an unwanted child when my bathtoys were an electric toaster and an alarm clock radio.http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6067&dateline=1226929  578

Currently playing:
Venomspam Dark Eldar, Dragiowing, Russel Crowe and his purifier buddies, Space wolves, Heresy Worldeaters (Countas BA)
Gobbo is offline  
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-10, 12:50 AM
Junior Member
 
zoldos's Avatar
zoldos's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: the US south
Posts: 20
Reputation: 1
Default

Right on! I'm glad cause I had just purchase a nice ship and had millions of credits from one of my Corp. members. How long ago did you play?
zoldos is offline  
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-10, 09:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Gobbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 416
Reputation: 1
Default

played on and off from about 2004 til about 2007 then stopped sold my toons and started again a few weeks ago

I always knew I was an unwanted child when my bathtoys were an electric toaster and an alarm clock radio.http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6067&dateline=1226929  578

Currently playing:
Venomspam Dark Eldar, Dragiowing, Russel Crowe and his purifier buddies, Space wolves, Heresy Worldeaters (Countas BA)
Gobbo is offline  
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-10, 12:51 PM
Senior Member
 
BiOHaTe's Avatar
BiOHaTe's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 262
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbo View Post
played on and off from about 2004 til about 2007 then stopped sold my toons and started again a few weeks ago
You must be a glutton for punishment, still when you get over the steep learning curb and everything becomes fluid and you know exactly what to do then it would be very fun and rewarding.

I'd get this game if I had a desk job, have it running in the background.

"If man dedicates his life to good deeds and welfare of others, he will die unthanked and unremembered. If he excercises his genius bringing misery and death to billions, his name will echo down through the millennia for a hundred lifetimes. Infamy is always more preferable to ignominy. "
- Fabius Bile at the Desecration of Kanzuz IX
BiOHaTe is offline  
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-10, 10:22 PM
Junior Member
 
zoldos's Avatar
zoldos's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: the US south
Posts: 20
Reputation: 1
Default

I think the learning curve isn't that bad. There is just a lot to do and explore which is why I like the game. I played thru the trial and already had a jist of what I was doing. Now I just need the cash to re-open my account and the broadband to download the client!
zoldos is offline  
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-25-10, 12:23 AM
Senior Member
 
BiOHaTe's Avatar
BiOHaTe's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 262
Reputation: 1
Default

When i started playing, i looked at all the skills and was overwhelmed because i didn't know what the heck each skill did.

"If man dedicates his life to good deeds and welfare of others, he will die unthanked and unremembered. If he excercises his genius bringing misery and death to billions, his name will echo down through the millennia for a hundred lifetimes. Infamy is always more preferable to ignominy. "
- Fabius Bile at the Desecration of Kanzuz IX
BiOHaTe is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome