Warhammer 40K AKA Call of Duty - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-27-08, 11:28 AM

to be honest , i think the best engine i've see which would be cool to see a FPS version of W40K would be the world war II online one, last i looked at it, it wasn't graphicly as advanced as the current likes of Cod4 but it has 1 hugh map with every one plays on, so it would have multipal battle fronts, the system allows for commands and brigades and the same sort of hierachy(spelling) that would benefit a w40k online fps.

The vehicles (tanks, fighters and bomber planes, ships, AA guns, AT guns and the such) run off locational damage model, also have crew postions (aka driver, gunner, loader, comander), so for a example, if you manage to get a sapper charge placed on a tank near were the fuel tanks are and that vehicles armour was rated to be in rl to have XX amount of mm thick you could kill it in 1 hit, but then on the flip side you place a charge or shoot it with an AT gun say on the heaviest armour part (say the front) your shot may not even effect the vehicle, So it draws even more tactics in when tactle a vehicle, also you learn were the vehicles "sweet spot" is if it has one

also you can also kill the the different crew positions, so if your driver is dead and no one else got hurt, you lose control of the vehicle (if you were stoodstill at the time you can't move, if moving you could well be carrying on in that direction) but you cna still use a turret and such if your in a tank.

its one of them games were its a really steep learning curve, but if you get into all the squad (guild/corp) thing it is really good on the comraidship side, also there is the high command sides if you fancy taking control of a campaign (which can run over many weeks) and control were brigades (which are made up of the different player squads) but all that is generally run through the games community.

there's some much more i can't explain which would make it a very good contender for a w40k fps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-30-08, 10:42 PM

imagine 40k in halo marines=guard Arbiter+elites=kroot chief=marine covenent= orks and gretchin

post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-08, 02:05 AM
Banned
NoiseMarine's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cco12 View Post
imagine 40k in halo marines=guard Arbiter+elites=kroot chief=marine covenent= orks and gretchin
no please lets NOT halo 3 got way to much hype and isnt really that great Halo 1 and 2 were awesome but number 3 just feels like the others wit prettier graphics
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-08, 09:04 PM
Banned
Wrath of Khaine's Flag is: USA

I think it would be better with Space Marines and the Gears of War engine.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-08, 12:16 PM

Horus' Left Elbow's Flag is: England

Nah it would be great with the CoD4 engine, though I've been told good things about Battlefield, maybe that would be more appropriate, being able to have armour showdowns instead of just infantry face off against each other.

However, there might be a problem about choosing race, etc, when there's usually just a one team on one team fight.

It would be great if it wasn't like CoD4 in the way that its order vs. terrorism, but lots of different factions, just like the 40K universe. A big pile up of all the different races

Gief!
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-14-08, 10:53 AM

Personally I think the CoD4 engine or the BF engine would probably cope with 40k quite well, although CoD4 might have trouble with big enough forces to make it interesting.

what would REALLY float my boats is one of the following:
a) CoD4 Necromunda. If you could get 2 or 3 teams in a decent sized level it'd be awesome. The achievement system really lends itself to Necro, too, with the levelling up of gangs and so on.
b) Stalker: SoC (or clear sky) 40k skermish. The factional plot, large game area and hard-fighting feel of Stalker would work with a series of small 40k bases (not full armies) and could be really, really fun I think.

M.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-14-08, 02:22 PM

Fire Warriorsucked big time, from the scenario to the gameplay and the graphics, who the hell wants to be a fire warrior? lol

A game should be based on a combat simulator with massive battlefields and the game that fits most is ArmA: Armed Assault, for the time being.

Also in Operation flashpoint theres a mod that can turn the game to warhammer, i think it uses the DoW models ;)

"1349 - Legion"
We match into war slaughtering mankind
If you try to stop us we will give you hell
(from which we came)
join us if you dare
fight us if you can
Choose sides,
or escape to survive
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-14-08, 04:01 PM
Banned
NoiseMarine's Flag is: USA

gears of war engine would definitely be the best engine to run it on so far i think the other ones just wouldnt do 40k justice.... well i guess battlefield would work out nicely but im still for the gears engine
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-15-08, 05:20 PM

Anphicar's Flag is: USA

One has to take into account the pace of the game.

A super-fast paced game such as the Unreal or Quake series would not work, imo, and the broad range of weapons you can pick up wouldn't work either.

COD4 is slower, and has less weapons you can just "pick up." It is not as fast-paced as those above, but it is not slow.

Something like CSS is totally out of the picture. Its pretty fast, and not very realistic in the game physics.

A game like GRAW2 would be much better, imo. It is much slower, but not boringly so. It is very, very team based.

This makes it so that some kid can't rush through the lines blowing everyone away. I mean, how realistic is that?

This also allows for tighter-knit gameplay, creating a more mature enviroment. Something that Warhammer/40k players want.

post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-16-08, 01:47 AM
Banned
Wrath of Khaine's Flag is: USA

Yeah, while I love CoD4, even play in tournaments, it wouldn't do 40k justice. Its just so fast-paced in my opinion. The instant I played gears of war I knew immediately it would be a great engine for it. When using the main character it 'felt' like a marine. When using the smaller multiplayer character Carmine, it 'felt' like a tough-as-nails guardsmen. If they didn't use that, I would say the R6-Vegas or GRAW. While I really want to see another 40k first person shooter(I still own and play Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels for PS1!), the strategic natures of GoW, R6V and GRAW add depth to the universe, which is 40k.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode