What is the best gaming computer? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-09, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Spot The Grot's Flag is: United Kingdom

What is the best gaming computer?

As the title says. I'm not good with naming parts of a computer i think its the desktop?Whatever is the big box that you put your cd's in and has a on/off switch.

Anyway what is the best gaming computer?

I heard alienware were good but ive also heard that they are bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-09, 09:48 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

If you're intending to buy a powerhouse that's pre-built, instead of doing the smart thing and putting together your own, I'd personally go for one of the Dell XPS series instead of Alienware.
The exact same hardware for half the price.

Alternatively, check out some of the bundles on overclockers.co.uk and scan.co.uk.

However, personally? You can build something amazing for £350. If not less.

AMD AM2+ motherboard, Phenom X3 at something like 2.6GHz+ (You're looking about £100 total here if you shop about)

4GB RAM (Don't go for gaming RAM, it's not worth it. However, going for OCZ may be worth it just for the lifetime warranty. That pays for itself if cocks go skyward) and that'll be about £50-£60 if you shop about. DDR2 is cheap and I personally say go for it over DDR3.

Graphics? Not a problem. If you want something relatively cheap that will stomp anything but the most ridiculous game, I'd personally go for the 8800GT or GTX (though the 9 series runs slightly cooler, to my knowledge) If the motherboard you choose can handle it and you have the overhead, get two and SLI them. (Again. shop around. Should be able to find two at something like £70 each)

A good harddrive, I'd personally suggest any of the Hitachi SATA drives as i've never had a problem with them. (Unlike Seagate) Again, about £60 or so, I'd say.

And for a PSU, you really want something about 550W+ for some nice leeway.

Obviously, if you want more performance, swap things in and out as you need them to make them fit your budget.

And for christ sake, man. Set yourself a budget and don't go over it if at all possible. £450 will get you a system that'll last you years without needing a real update, and remember that almost everything in a PC has resale value, providing you don't cock it up. Keeping boxes is a good idea.

For good prices, like I say, check the deals on:
Overclockers UK - Prices can either be very cheap or somewhat over the odds here, but the deals and bundles are usually great.
Scan - Can't fault it
Dabs - Some of the best customer service and deals I've ever dealt with.

Enjoy!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-09, 09:51 PM

fynn's Flag is: United Kingdom

tbh, the best you can have, would be a custom built one, built to suit your needs for gameing and so on
Alienware was good, but now dell have taken em over, there just average and you pay a lot of money for something you could build for less.
if you want run the top end games at the highest and fastest settings possible, then your better off talking to someone who builds custom rigs to get the best bang for buck.
but then thats just my opinion, and others may very well disagree with me

edit:@warlocked, novatec are another good company to get your bits from at a good price, and they do some nice motherboard bundles and barebones systems as well, seen a nice bundle i would love to get hold of http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...html?MBB-6204G
not bad for 175 quid

Last edited by fynn; 12-18-09 at 09:57 PM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-09, 11:49 PM

Alienware is really good but VERY overpriced. the DELL XPS systems are a good choice, plus they have really good customer service. another company is FalconWest? something like that. i have had no personal experience with them but heard good things, expensive tho. good thing about falconwest or whatever the name is, is that you can get custom skins for ur tower. very high quality by the looks of it.

BUT as fynn said to get the optimum quality for the optimum price would be to make it yourself. if you dont have the knowhow there are alot of local computer parts stores that will assemble it for you. some charge some dont because they enjoy doing it.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-09, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

so if i base it on the dell XPS and just expand from there basicly?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-09, 02:54 PM

you could also look at the gameing PC's from novatech, got some nice pcs there that are equal to or better than the xps.
but at the end of the day, its all down to A: your budget, and B: if you want a pre-built rig, or a custom rig

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-09, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Really its budget , 1000 quid is as high as i will go and and i have no plan on going that high.
That sort of chucks alienware right out of the window.

So couls anyone give me a full list of things i'd have to buy to make a good computer.Links to websites and overall price would be nice if anyone could fit them in .

Thank you for you help so far.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-09, 01:18 PM

ok with your budget, if you go pre-built try this one from novatech
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/pc/range/irush.html just pick what OS you want and what monitor, and your set to go.

As for building your own pc, you will need a good motherboard, CPU and ram, a good power surply that can meet the demands of the pc, a good graphics card like a Nvidia 9800 or ati 4870 (or higher) graphics card, a couple of good hard drives (say 250gb and above) at least one DVD rewriter, and a case, once you got the base rig together, you can add to it as time and cash permit.
and if youve never built a pc before, then look at buying a barebones system, a motherboard bundle, and build up from there, just allow in your budget the cost of a monitor (unless you have a good one already) and a good keyboard, mouse and O/S.
hope that gives a better idea for you.
oh and if you live in the south (i.e near basingstoke in hampshire). i could always build it for you, for a few beers........lol

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-09, 07:40 PM

And alot of barebone kits like from tigerdirect.com or newegg.com usually have a keyboard, mouse, and speakers. just depends on which one u wanna get. if you go completely custom you can actually get some really cool towers with alot of lights and windows. but all that is just show. what really matters is what powerhouse products u put inside. take a look around tigerdirect.com and newegg.com they have a lot of products and they even have deals.

those 2 sites actually do it both ways. you can buy individual components or they also have pre-made comps set up by different companies along with customer reviews and such. worth a look.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode