Does anyone else lament the advent of Steam? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-09, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

The Sullen One's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Does anyone else lament the advent of Steam?

Months ago I bought Empire Total War, but then my cat destroyed my internet connection, and so I had to wait to get a new computer, which I got yesterday. So with the Internet back I decided to install Empire, only to have to wait for Steam to update itself. Imagine my surprise when the stupid thing told me that Steam's servers were to busy and I should try again later.

So basically unless the entire gaming community that uses Steam is asleep, I won't be able to play the game. Now I understand there are concerns about piracy, but that's what the product code is for, so why should I have to wait to play a game I bought and paid for, until Steam can be bothered to let me use it?

Unfortunately this means I may have to stop buying the Total War games which I don't want to do as they're brilliant games.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-09, 11:49 AM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

30 seconds googling.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...5483-YUFN-0521

There's no problem with Steam. Even on the rare occasion this actually is because the servers are too busy, it's only for a few minutes. There are literally millions of people using Steam, and right now a good chunk of them are downloading L4D2.

Anyway. The former link is almost definately your problem. I just downloaded UT3 again without a hitch.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-09, 10:28 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

I love and hate steam in equal measure.

At release it was riddled with problems and caused all manner of annoyance , but it slowly grew on me like a fungus as they ironed out the bugs and introduced decent features.

I quite like buying games through steam, especially the odd mini-games.

Activation codes are bloody stupid though. I borrowed DOW2 from a mate to see if i liked the changes from DOW - and if it was worth a purchase. I'll never know as steam won't let you use the code more than once.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-09, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

The Sullen One's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
30 seconds googling.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...5483-YUFN-0521

There's no problem with Steam. Even on the rare occasion this actually is because the servers are too busy, it's only for a few minutes. There are literally millions of people using Steam, and right now a good chunk of them are downloading L4D2.

Anyway. The former link is almost definately your problem. I just downloaded UT3 again without a hitch.
Seeing as how the stupid bloody thing's told me that the servers are to busy each time, it's not rare.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-09, 12:07 AM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

evil evil computer related steam, although I do lament the demise of the age of steam :p

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-09, 12:21 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sullen One View Post
Seeing as how the stupid bloody thing's told me that the servers are to busy each time, it's not rare.
Sounds like it's a problem on your end. have you tried deleting the clientregistry.blob yet?

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-09, 01:16 PM
Classs's Flag is: Australia

I miss the days of going out buying a game and its yours, for life. For games bought from stores I hate it. For small downloaded games and old games I think its good. I do not like steam having the ability to choose whether I can play the game I paid for. A bit like DRM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-26-09, 05:11 AM
description whore

deathbringer's Flag is: England

Yeah steam pisses the fuck out of me
I was playing the new fm and it wanted me to do it via steam and for some reason i had a huge problem playing the game
its a good idea just a fucking pain in the ass
If I've bought a game I wanna shove it in the drive and get it straight away internet connection or none.
Especially as mine when i lived in india was dodgy as hell
and sooooooo slow

kudos to lillian thorne for the awesome sig
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-09, 03:27 PM

axyl's Flag is: USA

Sometimes I feel that steam is a disaster waiting to happen. I enjoy steam for some cheap games or getting a game without having to leave the house, but for games that I really want and enjoy I make sure to buy a hard copy.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-09, 08:51 PM

hells_fury's Flag is: Australia

bahahahaha, i have always raged about steam, it does have potential and is a good idea, problem is it just fucks me around so much.

my main problem back on my desktop it forced me to patch games even if i told it i didnt want it too. fear 2 took a week to play bacause of 1.5GB of patches i needed. the thing that really makes that a problem is you have to be online to instal the game, i can understand being in online mode for registring a CD key but to instal the game i dont see why it would be needed

since i got my laptop theres been no problems as of yet, but i only have MW2 installed and i want that to patch so i dont know if the problems still there ^^.

a warning on a crossbow

'It is a serious piece of killing equipment and should not be purchased by children under the age of 9. '

if your bored my MSN is hells_fury@live.com, add me and ill talk with anyone :p

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode