Does anyone else lament the advent of Steam? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-01-09, 12:17 PM
Porn King!!!
 
The Wraithlord's Avatar
The Wraithlord's Flag is: Canada
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,215
Reputation: 5


Default

And at the other end of the spectrum, I have yet to have a single problem with Steam and I have several games running on it. The only thing that has pissed me off is the fact that you need to log onto a server to play a game on it, even if you just want to play single player. There should be the availability to play in offline mode. Of course, as I haven't ever really looked into it there might be just such a thing.

one thing I want is the ability to split my fire everywhere, it makes no sense that a squad of 10 guard or marines or whatever all have to fire at 1 target with everything, is the guy with the lascannon not smart enough to realize maybe he would be better off firing at the massive tank looming overhead instead of the little man no bigger than a squat running at him, or is that far too complex for the 10yr olds?

My Thousand Sons Project Log
My Warriors of Chaos Project Log
My Cryx Project Log
My Necron Project Log
The Wraithlord is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-01-09, 01:06 PM
Senior Member
 
WoRLoKKeD's Avatar
WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Training Stage
Posts: 1,251
Reputation: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wraithlord View Post
And at the other end of the spectrum, I have yet to have a single problem with Steam and I have several games running on it. The only thing that has pissed me off is the fact that you need to log onto a server to play a game on it, even if you just want to play single player. There should be the availability to play in offline mode. Of course, as I haven't ever really looked into it there might be just such a thing.
And that there is, good sir!
File > Go Offline.

If nothing's changed as of late, the only condition is that you have to log in once every 90 days or so.

WoRLoKKeD is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-01-09, 01:39 PM
Senior Member
 
primeministersinsiter's Avatar
primeministersinsiter's Flag is: Canada
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St. John's NL
Posts: 686
Reputation: 1
Default

I think it's a great idea. It can cut down on packaging, time spent in stores, shipping. Basically, I think it's great that it's reducing the footprint of the games industry.
Give it some time and it'll be perfect.

"You left the objective? I see you have the tactical genuis of a soap dish."
primeministersinsiter is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-09, 09:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Sethis's Avatar
Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Alston, Cumbria
Posts: 4,191
Reputation: 58


Default

I think in less than 10 years time the entire Video game industry will be based around a content delivery system identical in all shapes and respects to Steam.

I think when it was released it was a bunch of buggy crap that often broke the computers it was installed on, was slow to download and install anything, and basically caused major, major headaches for anyone playing with it. I didn't touch it until about 3 years after release.

As it stands today, it's a great way to get old games for reasonable prices *without having to go through the bullshit of compatibility errors, patching, emulators or whatever*. If you just want to minimize the price tag, Ebay is better. If you want to minimize the fuss and hassle, and get it faster than the postal service, Steam is better.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
Sethis is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-09, 12:03 PM
Porn King!!!
 
The Wraithlord's Avatar
The Wraithlord's Flag is: Canada
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,215
Reputation: 5


Default

Quote:
And that there is, good sir!
File > Go Offline.
You sir are most definitely THE man.

one thing I want is the ability to split my fire everywhere, it makes no sense that a squad of 10 guard or marines or whatever all have to fire at 1 target with everything, is the guy with the lascannon not smart enough to realize maybe he would be better off firing at the massive tank looming overhead instead of the little man no bigger than a squat running at him, or is that far too complex for the 10yr olds?

My Thousand Sons Project Log
My Warriors of Chaos Project Log
My Cryx Project Log
My Necron Project Log
The Wraithlord is offline  
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-09, 01:17 PM
Senior Member
 
hells_fury's Avatar
hells_fury's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,192
Reputation: 1
Default

for those who are saying steam is brilliant try using it on a dial up connection

atm i am on capped speeds which average out on dial up speeds, i brought left for dead 2 on thursday and started installing it. i went to properties and selected do not automaticlly update, i then triple checked to make sure i had the right setting because if it updated i knew i wouldnt be playing it for a day at minimum.

well it installed, then changed the setting to patch automaticlly, fuck. ok, so i left it patching, 15 hours later it finally finished, i went to run the game and steam crashed. after 20 minuites it finally logged in and what do you know, i need to re download the patch for some strange reason. another 15 hours

the stupidist part, i just want to play single player but i have to spend 30 hours downloading content that i dont need and i can get in 2 days when the internet resets.

a warning on a crossbow

'It is a serious piece of killing equipment and should not be purchased by children under the age of 9. '

if your bored my MSN is hells_fury@live.com, add me and ill talk with anyone :p

hells_fury is offline  
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-09, 02:35 AM
Senior Member
 
WoRLoKKeD's Avatar
WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Training Stage
Posts: 1,251
Reputation: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hells_fury View Post
for those who are saying steam is brilliant try using it on a dial up connection

atm i am on capped speeds which average out on dial up speeds, i brought left for dead 2 on thursday and started installing it. i went to properties and selected do not automaticlly update, i then triple checked to make sure i had the right setting because if it updated i knew i wouldnt be playing it for a day at minimum.

well it installed, then changed the setting to patch automaticlly, fuck. ok, so i left it patching, 15 hours later it finally finished, i went to run the game and steam crashed. after 20 minuites it finally logged in and what do you know, i need to re download the patch for some strange reason. another 15 hours

the stupidist part, i just want to play single player but i have to spend 30 hours downloading content that i dont need and i can get in 2 days when the internet resets.
So let's get this right. Steam, a product that somewhere in the millions of people quite happily use is a terrible thing and should be destroyed because you have a shitty ISP. Right, glad we got that cleared up.

If you didn't update, you wouldn't be playing it online (the only way L4D is worth playing at all). So really you've lost nothing.

WoRLoKKeD is offline  
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-09, 10:42 AM
Senior Member
 
hells_fury's Avatar
hells_fury's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,192
Reputation: 1
Default

i didnt say destroy, fixed is a better term, as i say i dont mind it, it is a good program on some occasions but on others it is stupid.

the thing that pissed me off is that when i buy a game for single player i have to waste time patching it, if you didnt read i was on capped speeds at the time so i wasnt planning on playing it online. i just wanted something to muck around on in single player while i waited till our net resets.

and when you say it has the option to not auto update yes i know, that only works after the games installed, when u install the game for the first time it auto updates and hey when i buy a game its normally to play when i get home, not 15 hours later because im on capped speeds.

and i have this one question, why should patching be forced on people, i know a lot of people that have dial up speeds, lucky for them they dont game but what if they do? would they have to give up their PC and go to console simply because buying a game thats been released 2 or more months ago would mean they have to wait a day to play it for stuff they dont care about or dont want?

a warning on a crossbow

'It is a serious piece of killing equipment and should not be purchased by children under the age of 9. '

if your bored my MSN is hells_fury@live.com, add me and ill talk with anyone :p

hells_fury is offline  
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-09, 02:35 AM
Senior Member
 
WoRLoKKeD's Avatar
WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Training Stage
Posts: 1,251
Reputation: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hells_fury View Post
i didnt say destroy, fixed is a better term, as i say i dont mind it, it is a good program on some occasions but on others it is stupid.

the thing that pissed me off is that when i buy a game for single player i have to waste time patching it, if you didnt read i was on capped speeds at the time so i wasnt planning on playing it online. i just wanted something to muck around on in single player while i waited till our net resets.

and when you say it has the option to not auto update yes i know, that only works after the games installed, when u install the game for the first time it auto updates and hey when i buy a game its normally to play when i get home, not 15 hours later because im on capped speeds.

and i have this one question, why should patching be forced on people, i know a lot of people that have dial up speeds, lucky for them they dont game but what if they do? would they have to give up their PC and go to console simply because buying a game thats been released 2 or more months ago would mean they have to wait a day to play it for stuff they dont care about or dont want?
Let's put it this way. You're part of a game company. I don't know. Let's call you...erm...Valve?
Anyway, you release a game and thanks to a new operating system coming out in the middle of the development cycle, you're inevitably going to have some people's systems changed. This means that you're already spread across three operating systems and a boundless variety of hardware.

You quickly put out a patch to plug holes as they come along, as this will improve relations between you and your paying customer to make sure nothing goes wrong and ruins their gaming experience with your company.

A vast majority of people welcome this, but a few with exceptional circumstances don't like it. The company, quite rightly so, go with the needs of the majority as it also makes their company look better.

There's nothing that needs fixing with this system. As CCP say, "the logs show nothing and this feature is working as intended."

WoRLoKKeD is offline  
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-09, 02:26 AM
Senior Member
 
hells_fury's Avatar
hells_fury's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,192
Reputation: 1
Default

or they could make it work for both groups. they have a setting where you choose wether or not the game auto updates. when you first instal the game steam disregards what your prefrence is and auto updates straight away. after the games been patched up and you have it set to not auto update if a new patch comes out it doesnt patch.

what id like is that it does that when you install, if you set it to not auto update then it doesnt do that. that changes doesnt affect those that want their games patched, it just helps those that dont want their games patched making everyone happy, isnt that a better solution.

if i want to patch a single player game i do so at night when im sleeping, not when i first buy it and want to play it, yes steam has made life easier with games like MW2, im kept patched and able to play online, but with L4D2 where i want single player i dont care for patches, sure it fixes bugs but hey, i lived 9 years out of 10 of my gaming life without patches so why do i need them now?

a warning on a crossbow

'It is a serious piece of killing equipment and should not be purchased by children under the age of 9. '

if your bored my MSN is hells_fury@live.com, add me and ill talk with anyone :p

hells_fury is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome