360 Online, need help - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-07, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

Default 360 Online, need help

Hi there people I was wondering if you could help me, I am having problems getting my 360 online, I'll first tell you how I have it set up

1: Phone line into modem
2: Modem into computer
3: Ethernet cable into computer
4: Ethernet cable into 360

I was told that this should work but they were not sure.

I click on join xbox live, but it fails and goes onto the troubleshoot page,

I then test my connection and it says my Network adapter is wired

but my IP address fails, I select more info and it comes up with a screen saying the following information

"Your PPoE settings were not validated by your ISP. turn your console off and on again and try again

This test verifies that your console has a valid IP address. If your console does not past this test.

1: Cofirm that there are no other devices on your network with the same IP address

2: If you are using a router or a gateway, verify that its configured to assign IP addresses to network devices (DHCP enabled)

(I have no idea what any of that means, that is another reason ehy I hate abbreviations so please do not use them if helping me)

I try the first point "turning off and on again" and it comes up with the same message.

I have no idea what to do at all, and all the sites I visit all seem to assume you have a PHD in physics or summit and you all as smart as Einstein, I am completly computer illiterate and understand nothing of them.

I am in need of help, thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-07, 06:38 AM

Chances are the Ethernet cable is just a straight LAN cable and not a crossover cable, seeing as you're trying to get the 360 to talk directly to your machine. Usually you need a hub in between the computers that you want to network if there are more than two, but if you just want to hook up two computers, you use a crossover cable.

Since the 360 is nothing more than a glorified computer in a white shell, I'm going to put my money on a crossover cable.

Other than that, it looks like the 360 is looking for a static IP (internet protocol) address (so, one that doesn't change, and a local one). By default, everything is set to Dynamic, so the computer automatically gets assigned an IP address for that session.

Further thinking brings me to the conclusion that if it's not the cable, you've got the 360 talking directly to the computer, but it's not getting out to the 'net. That could explain why you're connecting to the network, but not getting the IP.

If you're using XP, it's a couple simple steps and you're good to go:

Start Menu --> Control Panel --> Network Connections (or something similar, I turned off the category thing)

You should get a window that has your current network connections in it. I'm assuming here, but it should be one to the modem, and one to the 360. Highlight both of them, right click on one and hit "Bridge connections".

That'll make it so the 360 can go through your computer and out to the internet.

Hope this helps. If it doesn't, I'd be more than happy to go deeper and help you figure it out.

(just for reference, i've got a fair deal of computer experience. nothing professional, but i've got family that's been in the computer industry for over thirty years now, and i've got parts on the way for a new machine. Also, I tried putting it in the simplest terms I could, because it's damned hard to figure computers out, I know that.)

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-07, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
blahblahblahblah

Thanks alot, I'll give it a shot, its just a little frustrating cuz the official site doesn't help at all, and all the other sites are all abbreviated lol, but I will go ahead and give it a shot.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-07, 01:15 AM
Banned
Wrath of Khaine's Flag is: USA

If that doesn't work try running a hard line from your modem directly to your xbox with no other items running off your ethernet. You might need a different cable as Antioch mentioned. I picked the 25' cable up from Circuit City right next to the 360 displays. Most stores should sell specialized cables, yet they hit the 20$ or more mark, and are very worth it.

Khaine
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-07, 03:15 AM

If you've got another computer lying around, or know someone with a laptop, replace the 360 with it to see if the real computer can get out to the net. That should narrow the problem down a whole lot.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-07, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
blahblahblahblah

I think I might have to purchase an Eternet modem lol, it might be the easiest thing to do I think.

but thanks for the help

I tried you way Antioch but it would not let me bridge my connections oh well

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode