supreme commander - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-09, 06:58 PM
Senior Moderator

That'd be one of the more likely places to get virus's, but they are not the only locations on the web. Sometimes you can get one by going to good sites; thats one of the bad things about virus's.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-09, 09:16 PM

ok, heres a better idea, uninstall supreme commander, install total annhilation

supreme commander is a power hungry monster, the real question is can you even get it to work.

80% (for me) the visual driver is the problem, make sure that its not only the correct or better, but that the indidvual driver is up to date, go the company website and install your drivers latest patch (for me I have a nvi 8600 or something, so I would have to install the patch for that particual one)

Once you have the actual screen menu, have all graphic options at mimium and see what it can deal with as you go, the moment it shows any sign of slowing turn down the requirements, not only is SC memory hungry, it basically clocks up your CPU for every action you and your allies and NPCs take, thats why I would say only 4 players or less for a normal game on a normal PC

If its not that then go to the actual company producers website and visit the FAQs page, if its not there then send a message to customer support

2nd question, is your friends operating system vista, if so check the firewall and basic security options, my friend uses vista and had to change a bunch of options to get it to work normally for games.

ugh, i really want to say a "delete all folders in z folder joke" but someone will probably actually do it so I won't,

but DO press Ctrl A then Ctrl D in total annhilation, it makes all of your units invincible

Tau 9/5/10
Yeah, his names cutey.

Last edited by anarchyfever; 09-22-09 at 09:20 PM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-09, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

so heres the deal, some stuff i didnt mention that are incredibly realivent to the last post. it cannot be reinstalled, we no longer have the install disk, we've been installing it through c/p off of an EHDD that we pass back and forth, this is the first computer to have problems running it off the EHDD, so i do not believe thats the issue, but its certainly possible, secondly the kid, in his never ending wisdom, runs everything in Ubuntu/wine, id actually forgotten about this part of it, and its fully possible thats the root of his issues...

http://www.theabstractreality.com/warhammerblog/

"my lasgun is my friend. without me, my lasgun is useless. Without my lasgun, I am useless. Even with my lasgun, I'm pretty much useless."
-Foot Slogger
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-09, 08:50 AM

ugh, I don't actually know what that is I guess its a type of installer, what I do know is that games like SC can be very fussy about how their installed, try installing it like a basic game, just put the disk in and press the install button.

If you work from the ground up it tends to be easier to find the problem.

I'm sure theirs someone better with computers than me on this forum, what sometimes works for me is to type the problem into google, its very likly that your not the first person to have your problem, and so its more than likly that someone has posed the question on a dedicated software site. Just type what the problem is in a simple way and you might get a nice responce.

Tau 9/5/10
Yeah, his names cutey.

Last edited by anarchyfever; 09-23-09 at 08:52 AM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-09, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

ubuntu=linux, wine=windows simulator, allows ubuntu to run windows programs (such as games), and i may try that, i might just tell the kid to do it himself even though he would never do that

"my lasgun is my friend. without me, my lasgun is useless. Without my lasgun, I am useless. Even with my lasgun, I'm pretty much useless."
-Foot Slogger
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-09, 09:30 PM

ah right, I've never used linux. One thing I will say about emulators though is that you need a good version, maybe the version hes using just isn't cut out for SC.

Anyway glad I could help

Tau 9/5/10
Yeah, his names cutey.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-09, 01:02 PM
Classs's Flag is: Australia

For a process intensive game I cannot see how passing the game through wine would help. Just another layer between the game and the hardware. I supose theres no hope of him running xp or vista. way i see it, if your not running games on a windows OS your asking for trouble. I'm sure it can be done, just would trust it.

While is SHOULD be possible to run SC off a ehdd through wine I have found computers rarely work how you want them too.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-27-09, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

fucktard magically fixed the problem...refuses to tell me how he did it...

-Foot Slogger
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-09, 09:26 AM

Phrazer's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchyfever View Post
ok, heres a better idea, uninstall supreme commander, install total annhilation
Three cheers for Total annihilation!! One of the best RTS of all time!!

Real Men/Women/Aliens/Heretics/Warp Spawned Filth/Big Scary Space Monsters play Battlefleet Gothic... why dont you???

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-09, 03:54 PM
Painting Munky style!

Munky's Flag is: England

Man don't take this the wrong way but why are you even mates with this guy? What does he contibute to your group!.
Also if it's a single core PC forget it it's not powerful enough, dual core is ok but you need to download the "CPU maximizer" tool from the GasPoweredGames forum too

Last edited by Munky; 12-08-09 at 03:57 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode