why is camping so bad????? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-09, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

hells_fury's Flag is: Australia

Default why is camping so bad?????

ive been playing COD WAW since release and one thing ive noticed is how much people cry about camping, they cry that its a noobs way of winning and that if you camp u suck ect. now too me this is a load of BS, camping takes not only skill but relies on the stupidity of your enemy. the majority of the people that whine about me camping are the ones that keep running at me and give me 5 or more kills in one camp session, my personal best is 31 kills on courtyard, i sat on one side and looked down where they were running at me from, they all kept running at me hoping id miss or something but not one tried to flank me, if they did flank or even try to sniper me they would of got me easy as, the only reason my spree ended was because the match ended.

at the score screen i was like woo, 31 kill streak, and the other team proceded to go you only got that cause your a camping noob, if you wernt camping we would of killed you ect with a lot more swear words, i was like wtf, if they had even got a sniper rifle they could of killed me with ease, flanked would of got me but they didnt and so im the noob cause they were bieng morons

heres how easy it is to kill campers

1. entrances

in all camping spots i only know of one that has one entrance, and thats a tower where a nade will get you with ease. all camping spots have multiple entrances where your back or flank is left unguarded, when on your own guarding all is not an easy task unless you have mines or allies near by, so an easy way to get a camper is flank them

2. explosives

what better way to kill a camper is there, a cooked nade will get them if you know where they are thanks to radar or them killing u before hand, too many people just throw the nade and i have the time to bolt away from it leaving me alive and by the time they come in to check on me im back in my spot and killing them.

3. snipers

campers use machine guns most of the time, or rifles, no scopes though, so if you know where they are u can set yourself up to snipe them from a safe distance where they cant see you take the shot, easy kill.

now what i want to know is why people think camping is so un acceptable, i know most do cause us campers kill them and they dont likeit but others get the shits when its their team camping so it has me lost wat is so bad about it.

a warning on a crossbow

'It is a serious piece of killing equipment and should not be purchased by children under the age of 9. '

if your bored my MSN is hells_fury@live.com, add me and ill talk with anyone :p

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-09, 07:24 AM

fynn's Flag is: United Kingdom

biggest problem i found with campers (and im not haveing a pop at you), is that most of the ones i've come across, take out people the moment they spawn at there base, and most dont get the chance to retaliate. we even had one guy (this was in BF2) sitting in one of our tanks, in our base, and target peole as they spawned. i managed to spawn away from one, get behind and C4 the bastard, only for him to try and do it again. but by that time i had got my self hidden in our base, and took him out every time he tried it again

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-09, 08:06 AM

Kale Hellas's Flag is: Australia

1 thing i don't understand is that a sniper can be in position a whole game without anyone saying his camping but as soon as you use a rifle or machine gun your camping ,im fine with campers because it gives you a challenge not just going there they are lets spray bullets all over that area

and one thing you overlooked if you get radar then artillery you can generally kill a camper

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-09, 08:34 AM

PandaPaws's Flag is: United Kingdom

Sorry, I'm confused... in my experience, a 'camper' is one that sits and targets spawn points, giving the opponent no chance to actually play... which isn't very sporting!

Someone who chooses to find a dark corner, peer through a sniper scope and lay waste to anyone who crosses their sights isn't a 'camper', they are a 'sniper'... unless they're just targeting a spawn point.

Exodite Eldar (5th Ed):W - 3. D - 3. L - 5.
Angelis Nocturnus (5th Ed):W - 9. D - 5. L - 11.
Tale of Four Gamers (UK)
Tale of Four Gamers (UK) Battle Reports
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-09, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

let me point the diffrence as some people are confused

Camper

a camper is someone who sits in a hole or corner anywhere watching a door shooting anyone who walks through. too me there are two types

the pitch a tent and wait is the first, they stay in one spot and watch a door, they dont move untill a nade, death or run out of ammo

the second which is where i fall is the active camper, an active camper pictches his tent in a building or area and roams it, guarding all entrances.

Spawn Camper

this is the kind of scum id like too beat, they are the people who sit at spawn points killing people as they spawn, i am 100% against this kind of camping as its low, i think WAW is the only game where u cant hate someone for spawn camping since the spawns are so stupid, i mean what game spawns u on a mine o.0

@ kale, true, i never thought of that as ive never had to go that overboard lol, if i cant dislodge the camper i leave them alone, no point giving them kills for nothing

@fynn, i understand why you hate them, i hate them too, they are real noob campers as they feel big when they kill people who have just spawned

a warning on a crossbow

'It is a serious piece of killing equipment and should not be purchased by children under the age of 9. '

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-09, 01:18 PM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

For more than a few games, I've found that campers on my own side piss me off far more than enemy campers. More than a few games (battle field, TF2 ect.) require going forward and assaulting, and so many on the team think their job to sit in one room, watching from their safe location, when that isn't helping the actual effort at all. Someone running a good, active defence can be helpful, but there are just so many who sit back and do nothing, trying to stay safe.

Meanwhile, spawn camping is annoying, but most games these days have something to stop it getting too bad, and good game design can over come crappy spawn campers and griefers.

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-09, 01:51 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

I play day of defeat a lot and campers annoy the crap outta me (yes I will admit that some games I just give in and camp too).

Its impossible to spawn camp in DOD (cant get right into spawn, multiple exits) but it is basically a massive movement orientated game of capture the flags (or domination)... if everyone on both sides just guards what they have got the game gets boring as ****.
Campers get a bad rep because normally they just sit somewhere safe but useless and kill the people who are actually trying to win the game.... but camping is infections. If you know there is a camper ahead then you have to be quite skilled to overcome him, but if you dont think you can (or know you would have to suicide several times to get him) then its easier just to back off and counter-camp (you cant go forward, neither can they).
- if a whole team starts camping then something very weird happens: the other team keeps winning (people eventually get through and if no-one is trying to retake the flags then you'll always win eventually) but the kill/death ratio for the 'winning' team sucks (never happens elsewhere.. normally any team that manages to win a round either got lucky of is seriously dominant).

Snipers/heavy machine guns are meant to be defensive by their nature... they cant camp since that is what they are meant to do (they hold ground other capture). Assault/support classes are armed with SMGs or automatic rifles, they are meant to take ground, so when they sit around defending or hiding in the middle of nowhere people get pissed off.

I would like to point out my own view that holding ground and camping are different things- camping is trying to get lots of kills in an unfair/underhand way. Holding ground is where you've pushed the enemy back and then stop them coming back (this is how I 'camp').. protecting the flank of allies or waiting for support to reach you in order to push forward again (or in the case of DOD waiting for the next surge of enemies as spawning happens every 20s or so then advancing again).

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-09, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
Campers get a bad rep because normally they just sit somewhere safe but useless and kill the people who are actually trying to win the game
how can they be useless if they are killing the people that are trying to win the game they are helping, i tend to play team deathmatch (lack of aussie servers) so having a good K:D is usefull to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
If you know there is a camper ahead then you have to be quite skilled to overcome him, but if you dont think you can (or know you would have to suicide several times to get him) then its easier just to back off and counter-camp (you cant go forward, neither can they).
once more i dont think you need skill but we play different games, in cod we can shoot through walls, cook our nades, artillery strikes, even dogs can get the camper, tanks, C4, nade launchers, its so many weapons to kill a camper its easy as on COD, on DOD it will be different and maybe not so easy

a warning on a crossbow

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-09, 12:55 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

On DOD there are a lot of dark corners to hide in. If you know where the enemy is then a suicidal run with a grenade can normally kill them, but some camping spots allow multiple places to hide/shoot- you might be able to nade 1, 2 if you are really lucky (and are carrying that many nades- 1/5 classes has 1 nade, 1/5 has 2) but often you need 2-3 people in a row to kill the camper- first one dies and shows where he is, second and third charge him and kill him.

On a team deathmatch game campers are just as hated- if you say it doesnt take skill to kill campers then why do you camp? If it was so easy then camping wouldnt be a good idea and people would run round. People hate campers so much because its a cheap way of killing the enemy which if enough people adopt it leads to a really boring game: if most of the enemy are camping on a team deathmatch then you have no option but to camp yourself (since unless you are significantly better the campers will take more then 1 death to kill.. thus they win).
- if everyone camps then no-one gets to PLAY the game, everyone just sits in dark corners and goes to sleep.

Personally I like games like UT where certain game types put a big flashing beacon on you if you are stationary for ~5s (I think staying in a very small area but moving does the same thing).

Camping is fine in my eyes if your mission is to defend something... in a free for all type game personally I would kick people off the server if they camp too much- they give nothing but agravation to other players (sure they have fun... hardly the point in a multiplayer game though- its meant to be fun for all).

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-09, 09:52 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Even though I can't stand campers, I will admit to sniping on particular levels in certain games, but this is not camping. As has been said, it's sniping.

One thing I've noticed playing CoD4 is that campers rarely, if ever, win in games like free for all, because they constantly return to the same spot, and the other players unconciously gang up to take him out. In games like team deathmatch they do a bit better, having a bit more protection, but in games like domination, headquarters, etc, where you actively have to seize ground, they do terribly.

On the whole I think it's pretty pointless, and is only done by people too afraid to take a chance and die a few times.

KF's Journey Through His Plastic Crack Addiction. 40k, Flames of War, Bolt Action, and more.

01001111 01101101 01101110 01101001 01110011 01110011 01101001 01100001 01101000 00100000 01100010 01100101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01100001 01101001 01110011 01100101 01100100 00100001

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode