A Warning about Seagate Hard Drives (If you don't already know) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-09, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Default A Warning about Seagate Hard Drives (If you don't already know)

This was news to me (very bad and expensive news actually) so I thought it might be news to others as well.

Basically if you have a Seagate 500GB or 1000GB hard drive or you think you have then I would find out quick, put all your data on a external and replace the Seagate one. Or you could back it up every time you do anything.

The reason? There is a flaw in Seagates firmware that means it could fail to be recognised by your computer at any time and the only way to get your data is too send it to somebody to your data taken off and then you have to get a new harddrive to put it on. Now apparently you can send it to Seagate to take the data off but I didn't know this was the case so I didn't when it happened to me, I wouldn't trust them to do either. Sending your HD away is a major inconvience as well.

I've just had to spend over $1200 (over half my savings and being a student this is even worse) getting my HD sent away to have the data retrieved and to get a new HD. Not fucking good.

So learn by my misfortune and don't have it happen to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-09, 10:25 AM

Concrete Hero's Flag is: Wales

Yikes. Thanks for the warning Jac... That's pretty shit.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-09, 10:31 PM

this happend to my boss actually. He had a 320gb Seagate hd and it failed on him. luckily it was only minor shit that was lost. I had the saem hard drive in mine so before anythign happened I ripped it out and put in a 500gb panasonic one...

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-09, 11:08 PM

ghazgar's Flag is: United Kingdom

wow how stupid do companys get to screw up their own firmware....

but yea cheers for the heads up i was looking at a new HD last week and was considering seagate :/

i am Horus, forged of the Oldest Gods,
i am he who gave way to Khaos,
i am that great destroyer of all.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-09, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

No problem guys, I just shelled out 300 bucks for a new internal drive and a external as well so the Data Recovery can give me my data back, that cost about $950. Needless to say that I won't be buying miniatures, beer or food for a couple of weeks.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-09, 04:36 AM

chromedog's Flag is: Australia

I use WD in mine and haven't had an issue yet.
160, 300 and a 640gb. Still, I backup through a NAS box (2 raided 1tb drives).

Thanks for the heads up though.

Hey! Where'd ... Everybody ... go?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-09, 05:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Damn thats not good to hear; I've been using seagate every chance I get with my computers and never run into any problems with them. Always the problem with any form of hardware from anyone, somewhere down the line they start to go bad for some people; happened to me with WD and now I don't trust their stuff as anything more than paperweights.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-09, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

What went wrong with your WD's Dark?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-09, 05:42 AM
Senior Moderator

One of them randomly wiped all the memory clean, three times before I got fed up with the thing. A second one of mine simply burned out the day after I bought it, and then the one that replaced it made it a whole week before death. I didn't run a crazy computer for them or anything, just something good enough to play games like dawn of war on medium settings and get me by for school, nothing major.

Seagate on the other hand has always been good to me; I think only ever failing me once and it was more than likely due to my upgrading of a computer piece by piece rather than certain groups of parts at a time.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode