The Ogre Review: Guitar Hero Metallica - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-09, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

NerdyOgre254's Flag is: Australia

Default The Ogre Review: Guitar Hero Metallica

Master, Master, where's the dreams that I've been after?
Master, Master, you promised only lies
Laughter, Laughter, all I hear or see is laughter
Laughter, Laughter, laughing at my cries
Hell is worth all that, natural habitat
Just a rhyme without a reason
Neverending maze, drift on numbered days
now your life is out of season
I will occupy
I will help you die
I will run through you
Now I rule you too

From the song "Master Of Puppets" (1986)

Well, ladies and gentlemen, it is time to pick up your Hasbro axes and get your finger muscles in action because Metallica has their own Guitar Hero game, and damn it's good.

In as much as a Guitar Hero game can have a storyline, it follows the path of a band named "Metallica Jr." who are the opening band for the Californian thrashers themselves.

In terms of songs, this is damn near perfect. It has all the iconic songs from Metallica's history - from songs like "Seek And Destroy" and "Whiplash" through to the entire Death Magnetic Album.
In all honesty, the guest acts mostly detract from the game - but that's a matter of personal taste.

But enough personal yammering, let's talk about new stuff.

Best new feature is the Star Meter.

Now this 'Star Meter' tells you how many stars you've gotten on each song, and whether you'll get Gold Stars (100% notes hit). I haven't gotten Gold Stars on any song, but that is probably due to me playing the game on Expert.

Some of the songs from previous rythm games are re-done: 'One' can now be done on Expert, because the bastard solo is now not based on Hammer-ons - it's now a slider bar dealio.
'Enter Sandman' has been done, and now that it's not on Rock Band i'm happy (sorry, i just don't like RB).
'Ace Of Spades' is there too, along with Lemmy himself stepping in to provide you with an extra character.

The new 'Expert+' drum difficulty... well i don't own the drum kit and if you can play the game that well then i would suggest you go and be a real drummer, because these songs are unbelievable.

Once you finish a song in career mode, three things are unlocked:
Song Details, including date of release and assorted other thingies,
Lyrics,
and Metallifacts.
Metallifacts are basically the ingame video of the song being done, but instead of actually playing the game it instead shows a number of interesting and related facts of the song.
here's a video for reference:

FINAL VERDICT:
Love Metallica, or are just a metal fan in general? get it.
If not? Pass.

One final comment, if i may:
I'm getting tired of the "Hero" franchise. There's another five band plans coming along, including Van Halen and KISS, and the less said about the atrocity that is DJ Hero the better.
This will be the last hurrah for this franchise from me.

Cheers, peace out, keep gaming!

On the subject of Rat Ogres:
But if we give them laser eyes and mounted guns, we'll have to bring in Clan Skryre, and everyone knows how much those limp-tailed snuff addicts overcharge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-09, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

*cough*

if you like it, rep or bump the thread so others can read it.
if you don't then put your thoughts in.

But if we give them laser eyes and mounted guns, we'll have to bring in Clan Skryre, and everyone knows how much those limp-tailed snuff addicts overcharge.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-09, 06:58 PM

Sword Slasher's Flag is: England

I do like it,*rep+* but how do you bump threads?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-09, 01:55 AM
Banned
NoiseMarine's Flag is: USA

Metallica= over rated, go ahead hurl your insults.

I apologise for nt adding anything constructive to this thread

If you have nothing good to add don't add anything. if this continues you will get a warning

Last edited by Lord Reevan; 06-17-09 at 04:02 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-09, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseMarine View Post
Metallica= over rated, go ahead hurl your insults.
Trolling.

SwordSlasher - To bump a thread is to put a post on it that asks for responses and puts it at the top of the thread list.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-09, 04:07 PM

Nice review. Plus rep for it. I agree with the majority of your review. Probably the last big guitar hero game for a good while, I feel the gimmick has worn off finally. the expert+ with drums is probably the closest thing you can get to using proper drums in a game so they're very good. Overall though if you're into guitar hero but not metal that much I'd avoid it... only for the proper metalheads.....

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode