Activision Suing to stop Brutal Legend Release - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-09, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Concrete Hero's Flag is: Wales

Default Activision Suing to stop Brutal Legend Release

Was canning the comedy waves of the interwebs and picked this little tidbit up:

But because I'm lovely I'll let you read it on Heresy's very nice white on black text

Activision filed suit against Brutal Legend developer Double Fine on Wednesday in an attempt to stop the release of the action-rocker later this year.

Quote:
Harsh words were passed between rival mega-publishers Activision and Electronic Arts earlier this year. The topic wasn't which company has the better looking CEO (gotta go with Riccitiello, frankly), but Tim Schafer's upcoming metal-themed action game, Brutal Legend (umlaut omitted).

Acti-Blizz had implied that it would sue EA if they didn't drop their publishing rights for the game, to which EA responded with some brutal trash talk: "We doubt that Activision would try to sue. That would be like a husband abandoning his family and then suing after his wife meets a better looking guy." Well Activision yesterday did file suit, but it's not against the better looking guy. It's against the wife.

The suit, filed on Wednesday against developer Double Fine, claims that Activision still has a valid contract to publish the game, and had invested $15 million in it, and Double Fine wronged them when they transferred the publishing rights from Activision to Electronic Arts.

Activision claims that it put $15 million in funding for the game, but Double Fine missed a crucial deadline last year and then asked for another year and $7 million to finish the game.

After that, negotiations between the two companies allegedly fell through, and, presumably Double Fine flocked to other shores. Activision, however, says that they never relinquished their rights.

The company claims it suffered "irreparable harm" from this, and point out that if the game's release isn't halted, they'll lose any opportunity to publish the title and sell DLC.

Double Fine has said in the past that they own the rights to Brutal Legend, and after their partnership with Activision ended, they could shop around their product to any interested parties.

If this seems nonsensical to you based on the fact that Activision seemingly were the ones who didn't want Brutal Legend to begin with, you're not alone. It doesn't make much sense. Think like a mega-corporation though, and it might be a little bit clearer. Activision don't want Brutal Legend back, they might just want a little slice of the Brutal Legend pie. Jack Black flavored pie. Mmm!
Tim Schafer himself has responded to news of the suit, and he says this:

Quote:
"Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it. Oh great, now Beyoncé is going to sue me too."
Oh Snap!

Those Harsh Words can be found Here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-09, 11:49 AM

This is a joke, Activision is just trying to like the article say get a peace of the Jack Black pie. It's all about the money.

If they wanted they shouldn't of let it go in the first place.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-09, 01:01 PM

NerdyOgre254's Flag is: Australia

It's Picard time again...

On the subject of Rat Ogres:
But if we give them laser eyes and mounted guns, we'll have to bring in Clan Skryre, and everyone knows how much those limp-tailed snuff addicts overcharge.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-09, 01:06 PM

Proccor's Flag is: USA

Activision is paired with Blizzard now...they shouldn't have a hard time getting money.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-09, 10:46 PM
The Traveler

Dirge Eterna's Flag is: USA

I refuse to call them Activision/Blizzard. I have 30+ games, only two of which are published by Activision. BLIZZARD is the name I use.

I think this is another "wait, we can make money off that?!" thing. Like Microsoft and Bungie. As soon as Bungie broke off Microsoft threw up a stink about the rights to Halo.

You'll forgive me, but you must be mistaken. I've met your makers, and they don't even know your name...

GIVING CHASE- ORDO HERETICUS FIC
(Updated Mar. 19)

Hat in the Ring
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-09, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Concrete Hero's Flag is: Wales

Yeah, its not particularly exciting news, I just though everybody should see Activision having a tantrum

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-09, 09:43 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirge Eterna View Post
I refuse to call them Activision/Blizzard. I have 30+ games, only two of which are published by Activision. BLIZZARD is the name I use.

I think this is another "wait, we can make money off that?!" thing. Like Microsoft and Bungie. As soon as Bungie broke off Microsoft threw up a stink about the rights to Halo.
The difference there being that Master Chief (Which was what the bitching was actually about, from memory) is pretty much the face(...Wait...) of the XBox. If I remember rightly, they had no problem with the Halo IP potentially going multi-format, it was just keeping the rights to ol' 117. Of course, I might be wrong.

Here, Activision are just being dicks, plain and simple.

Last edited by WoRLoKKeD; 06-06-09 at 09:54 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-09, 07:31 AM

NerdyOgre254's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
The difference there being that Master Chief (Which was what the bitching was actually about, from memory) is pretty much the face(...Wait...) of the XBox. If I remember rightly, they had no problem with the Halo IP potentially going multi-format, it was just keeping the rights to ol' 117. Of course, I might be wrong.

Here, Activision are just being dicks, plain and simple.
I'm sick of Activision right now. if you read my review, you'll find that i'm not gonna come back to the GH franchise.

Activision have more or less 'presented themself' (if you get what i mean, trying to stay PG here) to any moron with a concept that will sell. in this case, any successful music band who wants their own game.

it's stupid, and you are right, they are just being dicks.

On the subject of Rat Ogres:
But if we give them laser eyes and mounted guns, we'll have to bring in Clan Skryre, and everyone knows how much those limp-tailed snuff addicts overcharge.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode