What happened to Handheld Gaming? A general rant - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-09, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Concrete Hero's Flag is: Wales

Default What happened to Handheld Gaming? A general rant

What exactly happened to handheld gaming? Or more importantly; when did it happen?

I started thinking about this when I saw sony's latest move; the PSP GO

(More pictures Here)

The article can be found Here

There's no disc gaming involved, it has 16 GB of flash memory built in (Inferior to a hard drive in my opinion), not sure if there is going to be releases of additional memory.

If there are any true gamers here, and you will know who you are; the people who whittled hours- no days and weeks away playing video games as a child, literally burning away the time with friends or just on your own (Golden eye for the N64 and SSBM for the Gamecube are the prime culprits of our group).
I'm hoping you will remember when handheld consoles were ripe, game boys of all the persuasion where constantly in use. Even the DS saw some prime time usage. The PSP... UMD's never sold nearly enough to qualify.

What exactly happened to hand held and portable gaming? Why is it gone? Don't whine to me about the DS, that has fallen into the dark corners of the videogame world shared by... The Wii.

I want to draw your attention to a Webcomic that voices my opinions perfectly, its entitled Nerd Rage (I'd post the whole thing as a picture but its quite large)

^I urge you to read the above comic ^ It makes me seem less of a lone lunatic.

Why make something Great when Good sells. When was the last time you played a truly great game? An example for myself is the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, I'm not just harking back to my own childhood here, I've played the game recently. It has length and quality.

I can honestly see the iPhone conquering what was once the handheld market, and in comparison, what can this PSP GO offer that the iPhone cannot? Its practically the same, without being a phone and having a touch screen. Sure it will probably (hopefully, though in this age its not a gurantee) be more powerful, though we know that doesn't matter any more (DS > PSP anybody?). Personally I don't think the PSP GO is going to make a dent, it actually has less of an interface than any of the previous PSP "updates".

I've never been a fan of the PSP series, though it will sadden me to see a console lose to the iPhone.

Before any of you say it, yes I am moaning slightly about how gaming has turned out, I am well aware it has generated much more cash for Game Developers, though I'm worried that that cash will not go back into quality games, it will go back into good games.

Hopefully I will be completely wrong and the PSP GO will sell like Hot cakes, Nintendo will realise what they have done to their old fan base and co-release the most impressive and in-depth Mario, Metroid and Zelda games in a fantastic and astounding triple release. Which will only follow the launch of a real console from the Gaming company. The Next edition Game Boy will fly out striaght aftwards and it will be more popular than Xbox Live

Right? I'm more than ready to eat my words people

In the mean time, I'm off to dig out my Game Boy colour and play Pokemon Red

*sound of sombody blowing the dust from a cartridge*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-09, 12:28 AM

Proccor's Flag is: USA

All games are going casual. Its just a bigger market to exploit with a large blind following behind it. Like Blizzard with WoW, it went from a fairly hardcore tuned game, not the most hardcore, then to now where its very casual friendly.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-09, 09:36 PM

the PSP never sold well outside of japan which is a shame. around 60% of it's profits globally come from Japan and only around 35-40% of the games are released outside of Japan. The DS, although largely a major gimmick console and a kiddies thing. Has the potential to be a goo console, The phantom hourglass is a great game, so are the final fantasy games on it, it's just you have to wade through a whole pile of cack(imagine series anyone?) to find them.

the iPhone sells more apps in general, not games. Apple bundle them together to make their facts seem stronger. The games are selling well but that is because you get a mobile gaming device with a great gimmick like tiltsense. That why sony erricson phones sell so well...

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-09, 09:21 PM

More competition on the handheld market will be good although Iphones are pretty limited with 3d rendering.
On the no hd thing: Flashdrives are lighter more energy efficient and more shockproof all that stuff is good on a handheld.
A HD with allot of storage will only invite even more piracy then the original psp.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-09, 01:39 AM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Don't look at me, I'm still rocking my Sega Nomad

Working on building a custom lithium battery pack for it since the whole 'eats 8AA batteries in an hour' thing is kind of a pain

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-09, 02:09 AM
Pally-HO!!!!

Captain Galus's Flag is: USA

I think handheld gaming died when Pokemon stopped being popular. That's when I lost interest, anyway.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-09, 07:27 AM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Question: Is this freaking awesome, or not?

It's a pocket-sized portable emulator console, 4gb internal flash memory with a mini-SD slot for potentially endless space. Plays just about every 8-16 bit ROM you could want (which are all available free in the recesses of the internet) and doubles as a full on video/MP3 player, and even has TV-Out capability

I wanna get me one

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode