Dawn of War Firestorm over Kronus - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-21-09, 01:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Proccor's Avatar
Proccor's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 203
Reputation: 1
Default

I would definitely be up for some Heretic DoW! Not right now though...cause im at work ~_~
Proccor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-21-09, 02:33 PM
Vaz
Senior Member
 
Vaz's Avatar
Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 13,058
Reputation: 79


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas2 View Post
FoK does better in how good the game looks, true, and also has better balance, but TTRU is closer to table-top in many ways, like unit scales, the quick reinforcement out of battle (sort of like buying them beforehand in table-top) and most of all the ranges and weapon damages. A single lascannon shot will kill most infantrymen in one hit in tabletop, and it's the same for TTRU, but not in vanilla DoW or FoK.
The damage is worked out via formulas that are true for table top, as are units HP and Regen relating to a units Toughness and number of wounds, along with special abilities such as Feel No Pain and Eternal Warrior.

Game Balance, mainly the reason. Still, throw 3 Triple Lascannon Predators in front of anything without an Invulnerable Save, and you're looking at complete wipeout of most enemy infantry hordes.

When you say balance, it's only as balanced as you're willing to play.

For example, if you say play 10 minutes, and then measure the armies, you'll see Marines will have far less than opponents, while the Guard will have more. However, play it until you have full slots, and there will be absolutely no balance - The Guard will only have so many platoons, yet there are 60 Marines with Bolters firing at T3/AS5+ creatures. Not that good for a guardsman, considering the Marines 'outpoint' them by about double.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
Vaz is offline  
post #43 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-21-09, 03:20 PM
HIz
Senior Member
 
HIz's Avatar
HIz's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: ohio
Posts: 196
Reputation: 1
Default

^couldnt you then just edit the caps for individual armies? I havent looked into the editinig of dow, but i would assume its possible unless caps are shared over the user and not army specific.

HIz is offline  
post #44 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-21-09, 04:51 PM
Vaz
Senior Member
 
Vaz's Avatar
Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 13,058
Reputation: 79


Default

No, because then that's not Codex ;D It's Closer to Codex, hence you are only able to build units in FOC limitations. However, over balance issues minor changes have been made - i.e. Commanders become Unique, etc.

However, if you let your opponent mass resources to fill the FOC, you're doing something wrong. It's not as though you can get a Tac Mass and swamp an opponent before they can react, the build times are all relative. Guard may be weak as pig shit, but then when they are massing 40 guardsmen to 10 marines at the beginning, you're already outclassed, despite the techmarine being a good fighter as well, you just can't stand up to 40 lasgun shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
Vaz is offline  
post #45 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-22-09, 12:18 AM
HIz
Senior Member
 
HIz's Avatar
HIz's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: ohio
Posts: 196
Reputation: 1
Default

oh. i just dl it and played the comps and trashed them on the hardest settings. maybe it needs someone to understand the game then to make it equal. Either way i feel you could just tac squad rush and win.... base rape till you have something to take out thier buildings.

HIz is offline  
post #46 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-22-09, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Blasphear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 35
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas2 View Post
FoK does better in how good the game looks, true, and also has better balance, but TTRU is closer to table-top in many ways, like unit scales, the quick reinforcement out of battle (sort of like buying them beforehand in table-top) and most of all the ranges and weapon damages. A single lascannon shot will kill most infantrymen in one hit in tabletop, and it's the same for TTRU, but not in vanilla DoW or FoK.
I played it last knight, I thought Orks were done realy well. In FoK we have a hardcore mode, that lowers the health of units. that might be more you cup of tea!
@ Hiz. Thats hard because you cant reinforce. If you want a challenge go for an 8 player insane match!

Last edited by Blasphear; 05-22-09 at 05:32 AM.
Blasphear is offline  
post #47 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-22-09, 08:44 PM
HIz
Senior Member
 
HIz's Avatar
HIz's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: ohio
Posts: 196
Reputation: 1
Default

well maybe the system plays better player vs player cause the computer just cant comprehend what to do when i rush with my tactical squads and close combat most other openents to death.

HIz is offline  
post #48 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-22-09, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Blasphear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 35
Reputation: 1
Default

one word .insane
Blasphear is offline  
post #49 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-24-09, 06:54 PM
HIz
Senior Member
 
HIz's Avatar
HIz's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: ohio
Posts: 196
Reputation: 1
Default

one more word. dumb

HIz is offline  
post #50 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-24-09, 07:33 PM
Vaz
Senior Member
 
Vaz's Avatar
Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 13,058
Reputation: 79


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIz View Post
well maybe the system plays better player vs player cause the computer just cant comprehend what to do when i rush with my tactical squads and close combat most other openents to death.
How exactly do you rush? Playing Easiest and Quick Start? Some reason I find it hard to comprehend that you're beating Insane mode computers with a rush - considering that rushing isn't actually an option. Combine Resource Boost

Also, Marines take the piss early game, only Tau have any real defence against them - Auxiliary Squad in combat and Tau Fire Warriors firing, combined with Missile Pod commander. However, when the tiers step up, Marines have a hard time keeping up.

Got any videos of you owning the computers? I'd be glad to take some hints ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
Vaz is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome