40K Table Top for PC? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-11, 09:31 PM

I have some experience making AIs for computer games. Making an AI for any table top game like 40k would be very difficult. The original placement of the army is one of the hardest things to determine with a computer (obviously you could pre-make setups but they would not adapt to random terrain well at all). Off the top of my head I could probably figure out how to program an ok AI to control an army after set up (at least in warhammer fantasy, I haven't played 40k), but it would never be able to adapt as well as a good human player and it would take a Looong time to compute its next moves if you wanted it to be any good.

so it's possible to make, but would be difficult and time consuming to make well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-14-11, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

fett14622's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1344 View Post
I have some experience making AIs for computer games. Making an AI for any table top game like 40k would be very difficult. The original placement of the army is one of the hardest things to determine with a computer (obviously you could pre-make setups but they would not adapt to random terrain well at all). Off the top of my head I could probably figure out how to program an ok AI to control an army after set up (at least in warhammer fantasy, I haven't played 40k), but it would never be able to adapt as well as a good human player and it would take a Looong time to compute its next moves if you wanted it to be any good.

so it's possible to make, but would be difficult and time consuming to make well.

if you could do that. it would be awesome

Space Marines, PREPARE FOR GLORY!!!

3000 Dark Eldar

5900 SM Emperor's Wrath
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-11, 04:27 PM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
A tabletop AI 40k game doesn't exist and likely never will.

GW wouldn't risk their business by releasing it - instead we get shit like DoW...
The truth. Why would you want to play it on PC though, with computer you can play different kind of game on 40k setting. And rules of 40k even though popular, are not that great.

Wished they would make someking of realistic kind of strategy game set on 40K setting and not these age old, collect resources buy new units RTS game. Close combat series is prime example, based on that game it could work great on 40K worlds.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-12, 09:59 AM

Don't pass quick judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
A tabletop AI 40k game doesn't exist and likely never will.

GW wouldn't risk their business by releasing it - instead we get shit like DoW...
You can not compare DoW to a tabletop game. They're two totally different formats and one is analog and the other is digital. DoW is one of the best games that I've ever played. I have spent more hours and less money on DoW than I ever have with tabletop.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-12, 10:09 AM

khrone forever's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: lived on tyran, moved to occulus, then to macragge.DAMN THE TYRANIDS!!! (near derby)

i know what you mean, radish, i have spent about 250 hours playing the DoW series

40Kprayers and benedictions

see my guard army here

see my Empire army
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-12, 10:12 AM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Hi, welcome to Heresy Killerradish. Try and check the dates before you post, seeing as this one's nearly a year old. If there's nothing new to add, or you want to get an answer for something else, maybe start a new thread?

Also, DoW is very much a marmite game, and has very obvious drawbacks. Also, it's not really possible to compare it to tabletop as the two are so vastly different.

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-12, 04:36 AM

TheLaughingMan's Flag is: Australia

If you are up for something that is turn based and uses dice much like a tabletob game you really can't go wrong with RISK. I had that on computer and that was fun to play but I wasl always bad at it though.

But on another topic it would be pretty cool if the guys from total war and Gamesworkshop would make a Total War: 40k / Fantasy! Oh my golly-gosh I would so pay for that!

TheLaughingMan

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-12, 08:41 PM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
But on another topic it would be pretty cool if the guys from total war and Gamesworkshop would make a Total War: 40k / Fantasy! Oh my golly-gosh I would so pay for that!
There is already quite good mod for MTW2, Call of Warhammer. It has almost all races so far.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-12, 10:56 PM

Zetronus's Flag is: Great Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll View Post
"Chaos Gate" is a round based 40k strategy game. Was released around '99 and looks a little dusty. But its so awesome, im playing it again atm. You are controlling a bunch of Ultramines, fighting against the forces of a Chaos Lord. Has a very good story, nice videos and awesome voice overs.

Problem is: it wont run under Windows XP / Vista.
Even if you get it to run in compatibility mode, you will experience tons of bugs.
For Windows 2k I can give you a workaround, editing the registry.

For Win XP/Vista you need "Virtual PC 2007 SP1" (freeware from Microsoft) and a copy of Windows 98SE for creating a virtual machine.
Easy to set up and runs very stable.

And dont waste your time getting it to run stable under XP / Vista, I spent days on that, there is no fix...

I cannot believe I have never heard of this title!

OMG its like I have been living under a rock!!!
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-12, 11:59 PM

TheLaughingMan's Flag is: Australia

Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninman View Post
There is already quite good mod for MTW2, Call of Warhammer. It has almost all races so far.
Sounds too good to be true! So from Orcs & Goblins, The Empire all the way to the very northern lands of Chaos? What Armies doesn't feature in this Mod for Medieval Total War 2? Oh, and where or which website did you go to download it?

I was thinking of getting Shogan 2 aparently its pretty good!

TheLaughingMan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode