+20 rep to anyone who can help me! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

+20 rep to anyone who can help me!

I've got Squad Command for the DS, and I'm stuck on the third mission, trying to sabotage the munitions plant or somesuch.

You get 4 scouts (bolter and either shotgun or sniper rifle) and 2 marines (plasgun and bolter), and the mak is fucking crawling with cultists and CSMs, who seem to randomly sprout plasma guns to blow your shit up whenever you get too close together (I can't even see who's armed with what on the small screen)

I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to do once I reach the goal because I've never got within shooting distance of it.

I'm thinking the sniper rifles might be a waste. Can't one-shot a CSM with it, slows the scout way the hell down, and in the terrain packed board, I would think the shotguns are a better investment.

Anyway, +20 rep to anyone whose advice gets me past this bloody mission.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 04:33 PM
Slave to Heresy!

Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to do once I reach the goal because I've never got within shooting distance of it.
I'm pretty sure you have to sabotage the munitions...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Yeah, smartarse, but how? Walk up and tag the building, shoot it to death, etc

"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 07:39 PM

Tiberius's Flag is: Canada

It has been awhile, but what I remember is. Take shotguns x2 for the scouts, and Plasma for the Marines. Then move slowly, make use of cover and leave action points, so that you can use defensive fire once or twice in the computers turn. If this dosen't work let me know, so I can fire up the PSP and run the scenario.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 08:41 PM

slaaneshy's Flag is: United Kingdom

G
I've completed this on the PSP but will assume the game is pretty much the same on the DS.
Two ways to win, either kill everyone, or destroy the big bunker with the gun on it at the other end of the map. On the tactical map it is surrounded by the red circle.
It is surrounded by about 3 or 4 CSM with plasma guns and various ammo crates. Ignore the crates, and pound the building. You can focus on just going up one flank and pouring fire onto the bunker from the cover of that flank. You need to do about 700 points of damage to it before it goes bang, which is about 3 - 4 plasma hits.
On the PSP you can shoot at the 'environment' (in this case the bunker) by putting the targeter on it and pressing 'O' - must be a similar way on the DS. This may be something you already know, but it took me ages to figure that out (should really read the instructions I guess).

If you go for the kill all option, take sniper rifles for all you scouts and split the team in three. Send two scouts up the right flank, keeping in cover behind the walls, advance a marine and a scout up the centre using what cover you can, and the other scout and marine left.
Make small moves as you are badly out numbered and keep to cover. Where poss, use the windows in the ruins to fire from and duck behind after firing.
Best tactic though is to stand by the windows and stay on 'OverWatch', let those buggers come to you. Keep your marines on plasma and the scouts on the rifle when on OW. A word on OW - ensure that you dont have any of your guys in the line of fire from the OW marine, as they don't seem to be clever enough not to fire around him and you end up killing your own!
Don't advance the pairs too far ahead of each other, they can provide mutual support if they start to get flanked.

You say you don't like the sniper rifles but I really rate them for this mission and others. If you keep the scouts deployed as pairs and both focus on a CSM, they will take him down between them. In future missions the shot gun is useful in the built up areas with fewer long range fire arcs. Of course once those scouts get access to the missle launcher, their is only one choice!

I tend to go for accuracy over quantity (unlike the Chaos guys seem to) and you are better off spending movement points on ranging the shot and firing from the hip. In this mission inparticular, keep back and use the scouts and plasma guns to pick off the CSM's around the ammo bunker, using max range but well lined up shots.

Good luck!

I am the White Knight!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 10:40 PM

Ok, its been a long time since I played that game, and I didnt beat it. (I did make it past that mission though) I am at the library now, but will be going home in about 1.5 hrs. I will play the level then and get the details, but for right now are you sure the tac marines cant use chainswords? I remember that being the default but I might be wrong. If they can get them, do not underestimate the chainsword! It leavs you with your full points for moving, and will (if memory serves) kill a CSM +some in one turn (multiple attacks due to high points left over)

If you cant get them yet, I know this is useless for now, but keep it mind later on.

I will edit this post later on and give you a more detailed stratagy.

PS: +20!? dam! Never thaught about it but you would have some huge rep power wouldnt you... :worship the almighty executive nitpicker:

EDIT: NOOOOOOOO! I cant find my game! I'm sorry Gal' But its nowhere to be found. I guess I wont be much help.

"A true king is never alone, his will is equal to the will of all of his followers."
-Alexander the Great, kind of

Last edited by Col. Schafer; 04-07-09 at 12:55 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 11:10 PM

hells_fury's Flag is: Australia

i didnt even get there, the DS controls never worked for me, for some reason when i selected what i wanted them to shoot they would walk up to it and i ended up giving up.

a warning on a crossbow

'It is a serious piece of killing equipment and should not be purchased by children under the age of 9. '

if your bored my MSN is hells_fury@live.com, add me and ill talk with anyone :p

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Schafer View Post
but for right now are you sure the tac marines cant use chainswords? I remember that being the default but I might be wrong. If they can get them, do not underestimate the chainsword!
No chainswords, at least not yet. Bolter and plasgun only.

Quote:
PS: +20!? dam! Never thaught about it but you would have some huge rep power wouldnt you... :worship the almighty executive nitpicker:
And that's just a fraction of my true power I think I'm at like 27 rep power now, but I like giving 20 because it's a nice round number.

Looks like the key is moving very slowly rather than racing to get to the bunker, which is hard to do, temptation wise. I keep wanting to advance, saving just enough energy to pick off whatever target presents itself

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 04:50 AM

slaaneshy's Flag is: United Kingdom

Take it nice and slow G, you will last longer (ooh yeah!!!)

And chain swords come later in the game, about the time the bloodletters show up!

I am the White Knight!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 12:05 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Simplest way, Sniper Scouts up the Left, And your Tactical Scouts up the Right, IIRC. Been quite a long time since I've done it, so couldn't give any more detailed directions.

But yeah, go slow, take it one stage at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode