Confused... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-09, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Cato Sicarius's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Confused...

Hi there! I've just watched a video over the internets (apparently from "The Gadget Show") and it said that the Nintendo DSi can only play DS Lite games, not DS games.

Two things here.

1) I was under the impression that the DS Lite just played regular DS games. In fact, I've never even heard of a "DS Lite game". The only DS boxes I've been seeing in my local GAME have all said "Nintendo DS", not "Nintendo DS Lite".

2) If it's true, I may have to re-think buying a DSi. I only have a regular DS, so if "DS Lite" games do exist, I won't have any games to play on the DSi!

Please people! Answer quickly!

Last edited by Cato Sicarius; 04-01-09 at 03:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-09, 08:43 AM

Nemesis-The-Warlock's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato Sicarius View Post
Hi there1 I've just watched a video over the internets (apparently from "The Gadget Show") and it said that the Nintendo DSi can only play DS Lite games, not DS games.

Two things here.

1) I was under the impression that the DS Lite just played regular DS games. In fact, I've never even heard of a "DS Lite game". The only DS boxes I've been seeing in my local GAME have all said "Nintendo DS", not "Nintendo DS Lite".

2) If it's true, I may have to re-think buying a DSi. I only have a regular DS, so if "DS Lite" games do exist, I won't have any games to play on the DSi!

Please people! Answer quickly!
I think it's a mistake as my cousin got an import dsi and she has never said anything about this, plus she sold off her original DS and i'm pretty sure some of her games are ds and not ds lite games.

I think they may be mixing up the lack of GBA game compatibility instead

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-09, 09:18 AM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

As I understand it, they should be able to play normal DS games, but can't play GBA games, as they're missing the slot for them. I could be wrong though, but nintendo would be shooting itself in the foot if it didn't keep backwards compatibility with the DS/DSL.

From what I've heard, there have been rumors that some DS games might have troubles with the DSi, but can't find any thing substatiated. My bet is the rumors come about because R4 cards and other homebrew cards like that won't work on the DSi, but that's a different kettle of fish entirely.

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-09, 10:55 AM

DS and DS lite are the same cartridge so they would both work in it. The only difference is that the DS had a smaller screen than a DS lite, and that has a smaller screen than the DSi. That way although they will still play they will be heavily pixelated (more so) And might not be playable because of the bad look of it.

R4 cards will work on the DSi unfortunately and there will be some new stuff that will allow for the Sd card to go directly into the DSi and that'll be even more piracy.....

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-09, 12:25 PM

SPARTAN-117's Flag is: Tokelau

I'm actually with you here, as if there are DS lite games then none of my neighbours who are obsessed with their DS's haven't got any of them. And I can't fiond them anywhere but maybe that's because I don't own one.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-09, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Cato Sicarius's Flag is: United Kingdom

They did say that it couldn't play GBA games, I already knew that though, and I don't care. Who plays GBA games anymore?

Anyways, thanks guys. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Oh, and the DS Lite has the same size screen as the DS, only the DSi has the larger screen. I assume that Nintendo programmed in a border on the older games, so that it isn't streched out and pixelated. If they could do it with the GBA games, then why not with the DS games?

Last edited by Cato Sicarius; 04-02-09 at 04:00 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-09, 03:26 PM

only some games have that I think.... for some reason not all games do it.... mine doesn't anyway..... And The screen was brighter and more powerful on the DSlite, not bigger, my mistake....

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode