40k Mmo - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-09, 07:48 AM
Darth Druchii

Druchii in Space's Flag is: Wales

I'm actually one of those who is hoping it is a varient MMORPG, but still retains the normal stuff. I'm a happy WoW player myself, and find the game and pretty much everything thing to do with it still a lot of fun some two years after I began.

Like I said before I believe the shooter elements will be stronger in this game just because of the setting, but it will still be a RPG.

I must admit the only frustrating thing at this point is the lack of info. Mythic where pretty hands on with their info from day one with WaR, Virgil seems lacking. (Well maybe not lacking, but alot more like a typical MMO company.) I'm just hoping for fresh info at the moment, hopefully at E3.

Come and join us by the fire, to chat about the games that matter to you at the Roleplay Games Forum
---------------
"I feel I was denied. Critical, need to Know information!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-09, 01:15 PM

DeathJester921's Flag is: USA

Well I saw on youtube something that looked pretty cool. Its still in its early stages hence the grenade explosion you see. You get to play as a space marine.
Its a 40K shooter but its not multiplayer.

here it is

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-07-09, 01:10 AM

xiawujing's Flag is: USA

Wow, here's is the point where I must really apologize to dtq. I completely didn't read your post right at all. I see what you mean there with the squad system. That could work. However, would you start with say a 3 man Guard squad and as you earn exp or questing or however it would work, you then progress to getting better and more units, so the best players would have possibly even companies to themselves or... what?

And for DeathJester, I don't wanna really burst your bubble because yes that video is awesome, but last I heard its not even a game that's going to come out anytime soon. It was a test for some new developers or something like that from the Australian branch of THQ. That may have changed, but that was the last I heard. Which is really unfortunate, because it looked like it could have been made into a very good game!
post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-07-09, 06:59 PM
dtq

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiawujing View Post
Wow, here's is the point where I must really apologize to dtq. I completely didn't read your post right at all. I see what you mean there with the squad system. That could work. However, would you start with say a 3 man Guard squad and as you earn exp or questing or however it would work, you then progress to getting better and more units, so the best players would have possibly even companies to themselves or... what?
No worries

Off the cuff I guess to start with what "type" of retinue you got would depend on what character "type" (referring to my first post this would NOT be DPS, tank healer). If you started with a "rogue trader" you might have a hive city heavy or a pair of necromunda street gang style toughs as your retniue, perhaps hustling your way round a hive city, then as you do more work for the imperium recover more artifacts etc etc, you get to comandeer higher grade troops and in greater numbers, maybe eventually working your way up to an "elite" retinue probably numbering up to 10-20 or something.

Shooting from the hip here, but perhaps along the way you get some form of "reputation" points from completing story arcs, which allow you to "buy" units and wargear, this would lead to some tough choices do you go for a number of guards with flashlights or a single marine etc etc. I think really exact numbers at what stages would have to be down to play testing. To start with I would see you having a choice between 2 "weak" faction specifc flunkies or one slightly better "bodyguard". I think this sort of decision making could really bring some of the flavour of the tabletop games to the mmo.

What I wouldnt want to see is standard "Character Levels" with increasing health, mana, strength etc. In most games character level alone is a huge determiner of outcomes. In most games a level 10 is FAR more powerfull individually than a level 1 even with the same equipment. I think perhaps some personal stat increase is likely but perhaps the bigger decider will be the players "real" ability to play the games systems, deciding on formations and strategies could make far more difference to outcomes than the number of mobs youve ground up. Your Progress is measured by your retinue your "rank" within your faction and your wargear. Whilst certainly things can get tougher and DEMAND more and better equipped retinue as you go along, perhaps the players own skill level in figureing out strategies etc will mean more than "numeric" stats.

I think personal transport is another thing which would be interesting perhaps to begin with you have to work your way around your starting "system" eventually manageing to barter with captains of vessels for transport to other places, eventually working your way up to the point where you are granted your own transport and effectively freedom, perhaps with maintenance costs as well...

I guess it wouldnt be impossible to have mission specific characters join you for some missions as well. Perhaps you find a lead to something of particular interest to the imperium and an inquisitor lord and his retinue may come with you for the mission. I think "dynamic" content would be great for this when you make "contacts" random missions specific to you are generated with appropriate storyline. So that every players experience is relativly "unique"

Perhaps every so often a mission completion will grant you a "artificer" or "master crafted" type piece of equipment for you or your retinue. You could have some nice cut scenes to go with these sort of presentations give them a real "feel" perhaps some of the items would be freshly made by a tech-priest and you get to see the guy going throught the ceremonies as he completes the weapon etc, or perhaps sometimes it will be an ancient relic of power and you're given some of its history and a "use it well" speech. As you progress the gear you are likely to be handed will be better, and perhaps the tech-priest \ forge \ inquisitor will be grander than the earlier ones.

I think perhaps a light \ dark progression as well wouldnt be bad, depending on how you handle situations you may head towards chaos, it would be quite possible to make things very subtle to start with so you could be heading toward the path to "damnation" without realising it. But along the way you can make very definitive good \ bad choices. so if your normal actions were "chaotic" but your intentional choices were always imperial you would just be a "radical" imperial etc. Perhaps these decisions you make and your "style" will affect how NPC's react to you. Perhaps as your fame grows NPC's will have heard of you dropping this into the "conversations".

Rather than being black and white good and evil, you could bring more of the spectrum to things, Perhaps if you chose "an inquisitor" you personally have to make tough choices, to which there is no "right" answer. do you shoot the person whos been dealing with xenos. do you just discipline them, or do you try to make contact yourself, or do you purge the heretic and all in contact with him. Any of the choices could be "wrong" but its all YOUR call. And the game will profile you depending on your choices and react to you in certain ways.

Perhaps when these "items" are either traded with other players or to other members of the retinue the character doing the giving could "tell a story" in the form of cutscenes of what deeds the weapon \ item has done along the way. The great thing with the way games work is that these cut scenes would use tiny amounts of data small scripts a couple of k long at most using the game graphics engine to play them back, rather than traditional cinematics. Im not talking every event but perhaps some of the more "important" events theyve been used in.

I could see a system where you have a "sphere of influence" as you walk through npc heavy areas, perhaps initially npcs will ignore you look past you but as you progress there will be small but obvious reactions from npcs around you - you could imagine how impressive a fully decked out "confessor" with a retinue of 20 celestians looks, or a the fear \ servitude inspired by a inquisitor with a full retinue etc etc Perhaps a Rogue trader will have people rushing up offering deals or hiding away in case this one doesnt "pay" for his stock etc etc. The more "reputation" and gear and retinue you have the more extreme the reactions will be, Perhaps even more so in the immediate area of events you have taken part in.

A few cameo's from deep "old lore" would be cool as well perhaps Magnus Ulthang survived the hive fleet, perhaps you run into him when dealing with some tyranid infestation or something? GW has so much old lore hidden away it would you could probably have a thousand "special characters" around who are all "old references"
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-07-09, 07:23 PM
dtq

Just had some more thoughts and perhaps along the lines of LOTRO's monster play perhaps you could have an attached "Soldier Play" system putting you in a soldier type of your choice, perhaps for PvP purposes perhaps for immersing yourself in historic battles.

Perhaps progress in the main game would see you able to unlock more forms of session play. Perhaps these "sessions" could involve the battle for terra during the horus heresy, perhaps fighting along side a primarch at some point. On the Chaos side (I definetely think that there should be an equally deep chaos side) Perhaps you could be put int he place of one of horus's soldiers, perhaps given a sympathetic view of the horus heresy making it understandable that they turned on the emperor, making the fall completely "understandable" possibly even "Right".

Because these scenarios arent using your main character it doesnt have to be "current events". Although I would gues that "soldier play" would be "current" events battling for control of a planet for bonus's for your character and your faction etc. Perhaps monthly dev supported "events" will be held which will determine what faction holds a planet for the next month which will impact the main game for the next month. With some juicy spoils of war for the winning side etc etc.
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-08-09, 12:07 AM

Hmmm... So your idea sounds a lot like the original Fable, but in space with all the accoutrements there available. That does sound interesting. But how would the multiplayer go?
post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-11-09, 03:06 PM

Cabagepatch's Flag is: USA

Default ANOTHER 40k MMO Thread!!!

okay so since WAR sucked soooooooooooo badly, even compared to WOW... it might end up being too easy for the game developer (whoever it is) to do the same and accidently or intentionally butcher this upcoming 40k game...

If they plan to actually have all races present, be a good/real rep. of what 40k is all about and still be a great game + be MMO... they have a lot to cover (and frankly i wish them the best of luck)__
but here are two concepts that i think might work (and really the only ones i think are promising):
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~If you play as only Space Marines:
Classes should be available, it should be first person shooter (still RPG), where cover and ducking is important... this would be a very promising route to take and would be amazingly fun. (for healers, they would only have to select (using hotkey or clicking on small side pic) teammates to to heal. so they wouldn't need 3rd person view either)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~If it is 3rd person:
For the initial release of the game, all races should be choosable to play, however only one class should be present for each. The class would be whatever is the best representative of that race from a newbie's perspective of that race. The actual unit i don't know, but here is what i am thinking in terms of what the races would be... (strong/weak referse to attack not defense)
so SM would be a tank,
CSM paladin,
Dark Eldar strong melee DPS,
Eldar dps/mage,
Tau strong ranged dps,
Necron weak tank
Tyranids weak dps

what you guys think?

Last edited by Cabagepatch; 03-11-09 at 05:08 PM.
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-11-09, 06:30 PM

Before I start with anything, why did you create a new thread rather than replying in the old one? Just curious.
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-11-09, 11:28 PM

Merged threads that were pretty much identical. It wouldn't be too bad if you didn't see the thread but your title means you did. don't do it again

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-14-09, 01:51 AM

Fixed! Huzzah!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode