40k Mmo - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-03-09, 06:45 PM

hehehe well that's that project completely down the toilet.... sucks to be him =)

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-03-09, 08:01 PM
Slaanesh's Plaything

Talos's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Reevan View Post
halo 3 is a crap shooter. headshots mean nothing in it.
Now I agree that Halo 3 is crap but I guess you dont play it much or in clan games which is fine ( I did but did not enjoy it) but headshots factor in alot with battlerifles. Sure its not the same as in COD but just dont like people saying things that arnt true. But yes Halo 3 sucks.

I think they should make it like Planetside but alot less buggy and laggy
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-03-09, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talos View Post
Now I agree that Halo 3 is crap but I guess you dont play it much or in clan games which is fine ( I did but did not enjoy it) but headshots factor in alot with battlerifles. Sure its not the same as in COD but just dont like people saying things that arnt true. But yes Halo 3 sucks.

I think they should make it like Planetside but alot less buggy and laggy
In the storyline it didn't do a thing. Seriously. Online I don't play so I wouldn't know there but what's the point in having a high caliber sniper rifle when brutes and elites need 2 headshots? 2 shots anywhere would kill them. It was more the strength of the weapon that mattered over skill to me.... Clan games as you said is different but I wouldn't know. It's irrelevant to the thread at hand now so It's best not to discuss it anymore in this thread.. Possible discussion thread though

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-09, 05:51 PM

xiawujing's Flag is: USA

Throne! Ok, lemme try this again.

HI! I'M APPARENTLY INVISIBLE! WE NEED AN MMOFPS! NOT, and I repeat, NOT an MMORPG! QUIT THINKING OF THIS CRAP AS A MORE-PUG! I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY THAT IT WOULD SUCK ASS-AMATASITC!!!!

40K don't fit a more-pug, its just that simple! And while yes, a COD style game is "fun" sounding, you need something more of a cross between COD4 multiplayer and TF2. Unlocking weapons for different sides, and the units on those sides, and then being able to customize them.

Unlocks should work through either earning acheivement-style metagame bits, or EXP. A Storyline sort of thing would be interesting, but a single-player campaign I don't see as being very viable for this type of game. Everyone will wanna play it from a different side of the fight, and if you do that you'll have a 4-disc game even on the blu-ray for the PS3.

Last edited by xiawujing; 03-04-09 at 05:55 PM.
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-09, 06:41 PM

see the problem with it being a MMOFPS is that it'll basically turn into TF2 with different skins and will be basically the same game. With such a massive storyline in the 40k universe it'd be very difficult to make the game without having a huge RPG element in it. If it is done without it it'll be TF2 with bigger characters running around the place and that's nothing special....

post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-05-09, 02:04 AM

Ok so then would the consensus then be a single player storyline similar to say, Mass Effect, but the multiplayer kept the same?
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-05-09, 09:51 AM

perhaps, but then it'd just be like 2 seperate games and that wouldn't bode well with several people. I don't think it'll work in general. it's too hard to make it unique

post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-05-09, 11:17 AM
dtq

I think Id like to see a mmorpg that did away with the standard "classes" concept. Perhaps soemthing that went for a more "inquisitor" like feeling perhaps something where instead of controlling "a marine" or "an apothecary", perhaps you controlled "an inqusitor" "a rogue trader" "A Cardinal" or similiar such "characters" from other factions, and then have a "retinue" with you flavoured by the character you have chosen, which you can switch between as required with AI controlling the rest of the retinue, something along the lines of kotor? but perhaps with larger retinues being possible as you go along. Instead of standard combat levels perhaps you character advancement could be larger retinues rarer wargear availability, rather than "dings".

Id like to get a chance to see the galaxy a bit see the lives of the every day folks. Theres some awesome potential there for building up your retinue for pvp etc. But I can see it now playing a cardinal trying to build up a faith crusade. Or playing an ork trying to build up a bit of a waagh band or a bunch of freebooters...

This would help stay lessen the blow to the fluff of "lone terminators" wandering around the galaxy at whim etc. Theres no reason not to have apothecary's or hospitallers or mad doks in your personal retinue, for healing purposes. It would also bring a new scale to grouping, where instead of being 6 people gathering together it feels a bit more epic with having 6 "squads" working together on a common goal.

I could also see planets being declared a PvP event where the players get to determine which faction a planet is controlled by. With the numbers of players involved you could see genuinely epic size battles going on for control of the planet, From then until a new battle was declared the planet would show obvious signs of who controls that planet, with "spoils of war" for those who take part in the capture.

Just some ideas shooting from the cuff of how to bring things close to the fluff and how to not be a WOW, with 40k skin clone.

As far as vehicles goes, they work fine in star wars galaxies, theres no technical reason not to allow vehicles.
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-09, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtq View Post
I think Id like to see a mmorpg that did away with the standard "classes" concept.
Ok... one last time. We've been saying this for a while. While a "class" concept game might be fun for about 10 minutes, the 40K universe doesn't lend itself to an MMORPG setting. It would at least have to be an MMOFPS.

So then something similar to Mass Effect meets Phantasy Star Online would work.... right?
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-09, 01:29 AM

Xiawujing this is a general thread so don't reject everybody else's idea just because it doesn't resemble yours. Personally I think the game would be a complete shit-stack if it was an MMOFPS with a storyline as every MMOFPS is just a massive terrorist hunt(CSS) with different skins. The way dtq explained sounds like the best way to show the powers of 40k as it's not made up of single marines going all over the place on their own. It will relate to the character of 40k with inquistor retinues more than marines running aroudn shooting up shit all the time.....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode