Help building a pc - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-09, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Default Help building a pc

hi all, I'm a 13yr old boy trying to build a decent gaming PC.
My budget is $500(Australian)
I just want a PC that can play basically any game on hi graphics.
Anybody have any ideas?
Thnx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-09, 08:18 PM

Trandoshanjake's Flag is: USA

$500 is not enough to make a decent gaming PC, not by a mile. If you want a rig that can run current games on high/ultra you are going to have to drop about $1,800 US.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-09, 09:31 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trandoshanjake View Post
$500 is not enough to make a decent gaming PC, not by a mile. If you want a rig that can run current games on high/ultra you are going to have to drop about $1,800 US.
Bollocks do you.

I'm running Fallout 3 on high with an Athlon 5000 in an ECS GeForce 7050M-M mobo, 3GB of RAM and a 9500GT. Alltogether that cost me maybe £400 and it runs with no problems at all.

When it comes to hardware, it's a simple fact that all hardware vendors have the sole intention of trying to shaft as many people as they possibly can, and a $1,800 round figure is right up there on the shafting scale. And most current games look and play better on medium than their console counterparts do on their supposed limit.

Last edited by WoRLoKKeD; 03-04-09 at 09:33 PM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-09, 09:34 PM

hells_fury's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trandoshanjake View Post
wrong, i pulled off my desktop for AUS$ 1000 and it runs everything on high or ultra with ease and the best part, i have a computer left from the parts that i can sell for $200.

if you know good places it works, there is a good store that for about $700 - 800 i think will get you a desktop with no OS (windows XP/Vista those are OS's) and no moniter. if you dont own a copy of XP or a moniter this is going to raise the price by 200 - 300.

second option is Ebay, u might be lucky and find a bargain like i did. $400 got me a 2.2 core duo intel, 2 GB ram, wireless network card and a 3870 graphics card but no hard drive or moniter. (i used this to upgrade my el cheapo $600 desktop)

third option is to probably buy a 360, its about $100 more then your limit and you dont have to mess with software, itll run all the games release for the next year to 3 depending on when the new one comes out. this would prob be the best if you had no idea what i was talking about with the OS and Ram and that stuff. knowing about that stuff really helps in getting a desktop cheap for gaming.

if you still wish for a desktop you should probably go with a 2.5GHZ intel processor, (to the nerd people the cache isnt that important i know cause mine only has a 2mb cache :p) 2 GB ram (if you know what your doing try for a clockspeed off 800mhz or faster) graphics card, the best if you want good graphics is the 3870, as far as my memory goes its about 200-300 dollars and its really good. runs call of duty world at war and mordern warfare on highest settings with ease, DOW2 runs on ultra with ease. a hard drive of probably 100 gig for the games and get XP over Vista.

there you go, hope this helped and remember, gaming is never cheap, imo its more expensive then 40k but thats cause i want the best :p

a warning on a crossbow

'It is a serious piece of killing equipment and should not be purchased by children under the age of 9. '

if your bored my MSN is hells_fury@live.com, add me and ill talk with anyone :p

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-09, 11:24 PM

Check out www.Komplett.ie. It might not be great seeing as your in Australia but They sell the parts for pretty cheap. I'm getting 2 2.8ghz CPU chips, 4 gb of ram and a new motherboard from them and I'm not hitting the 300 mark...Shipping might be your problem then though

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-09, 06:38 PM

Dessel_Ordo's Flag is: USA

If you are computer savy, and only need the tower (No OS, screen, keyboard, mouse, speakers ect) go to Newegg.com. Not sure how the exchange rate is, but I guilt a pretty powerful tower for $800 American.

If you want to buy a prebuilt machine, look on e-bay and pray for what you want... cuz Dell will screw you, Alienware will be a bit too pricey, and Falcon NW is out of anyone who cant pay for a brand new car up front (in chash) without using a loan's price range.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
My fluff so far, plz read and give feed back

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-09, 06:50 PM

also a good place to check is the Dell outlet store.
Basically most of the pcs in ther eare ones that are built and ready to go but the buyer cancels their order. can get some very good deal in there....

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-09, 01:39 PM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Generally the more expensive machines are very very powerful, with quad core processors, uber big PSU for the dual SLI'ed graphic arrays and a large block of high end memory. And they are really for people who want to overclock thier systems and get a very powerful coling system.

As others have said this isnt required, and to be honest the more cutting edge you get the worse off you are as far as stability goes. Most games play very well just below the ultra settings anyway.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-09, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humakt View Post
Generally the more expensive machines are very very powerful, with quad core processors, uber big PSU for the dual SLI'ed graphic arrays and a large block of high end memory. And they are really for people who want to overclock thier systems and get a very powerful coling system.

As others have said this isnt required, and to be honest the more cutting edge you get the worse off you are as far as stability goes. Most games play very well just below the ultra settings anyway.
I still stand by my belief that medium on PC games usually looks better than the console versions.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-09, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessel_Ordo View Post
If you are computer savy, and only need the tower (No OS, screen, keyboard, mouse, speakers ect) go to Newegg.com. Not sure how the exchange rate is, but I guilt a pretty powerful tower for $800 American.

If you want to buy a prebuilt machine, look on e-bay and pray for what you want... cuz Dell will screw you, Alienware will be a bit too pricey, and Falcon NW is out of anyone who cant pay for a brand new car up front (in chash) without using a loan's price range.
These days, Dell aren't bad at all. If you want to get shafted by Dell, though, definately buy Alienware stuff. Conversely, you can often get stupidly good deals on the Dell XPS series which are pretty much Alienware without the tacky case and the glowing eyes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode