Favourite gaming era - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-09, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Favourite gaming era

Not talking about games from the 80s, 90s and all that but the setting of games. Do you prefer game set in the past, the future, the present, or a weird mix of eras, with historical themes with modern technology for example(certain final fantasies, too human for example) And then what style of game do you think works best within that kind of era?

Personally I find that games set in the past with a modern feel to them make for great RPGs and other games that have tried doing the same thing are good but not as good.

So what do you think?

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-09, 01:25 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

I'm a mix, I prefer WWII since I'm a WWII fanatic (but shit games like COD5 & 3 and the MOH series can take a running jump), but I do enjoy a little sword swinging action, either historical or fantasy historical, I do like Future settings as well, not a fan of wacky mad future stuff, just believable future settings, and I like the mixes, like FFXII has that sorta futuristic old feel to it

Last edited by Stella Cadente; 02-25-09 at 05:59 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-09, 04:03 PM

Zondarian's Flag is: England

I used to love WW2 games but oversaturation of the era has made it boring, despite COD5 being technically an amasing game outside of online mode it bores me. My favouraite game has to be Gears 1&2, and based of that I would have to say my favouraite style is a game that really gets you into the action, that as corny as it sounds has a sense of urgency. I love that it is really gritty and while the teech isn't very different from modern day ( other than the hammer) they have managed to put a real spin on the technology with brilliant inventions such as the Torque Bow and the legendary Chainlance. Basically if you want to know my fav era Gears got it 100% perfect.

Do not disallusion yourself brothers, today we die, our bodies broken and our souls shattered, we will be remembered as corpses on a battlefield.Raise hell my brothers for one day our great Father will hear of our struggle, and he will be honoured to call us his Sons. In death our Glory shall become eternal.' Karik Farron, 1st Lord of the Dark Scorchers at the Fall of Kempar.

'like a blind man in a dark room trying to find a black cat that isn't there'-imntdead
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-09, 05:51 PM

FUZZTONE's Flag is: United Kingdom

I love historical stratagy games set in the roman era. theres nothing better than defending your lands from an expanding roman emipre. or eradicating a celtic kingdom or two.

GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment

!Some people say that he had a fist fight with an angry badger and won, while others say that he once tried to rugby tackle the pope. All we really know is his name. !FUZZTONE!

~My User Page~ + ~Fuzztone's Bitz & Bobz On The Cheap~
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-09, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Forgot about an alternate present era actually.... I think gears is something like that. something close to the present day but with some drastic changes...

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-09, 08:30 PM

I loved Mass Effect until they have potentially killed Shepard, if they have I will never play Mass Effect 2 through to the end, and that will be a shame because the first was an awesome, underappreciated game.

Do not disallusion yourself brothers, today we die, our bodies broken and our souls shattered, we will be remembered as corpses on a battlefield.Raise hell my brothers for one day our great Father will hear of our struggle, and he will be honoured to call us his Sons. In death our Glory shall become eternal.' Karik Farron, 1st Lord of the Dark Scorchers at the Fall of Kempar.

'like a blind man in a dark room trying to find a black cat that isn't there'-imntdead
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-09, 08:38 PM

Trandoshanjake's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zondarian View Post
I loved Mass Effect until they have potentially killed Shepard, if they have I will never play Mass Effect 2 through to the end, and that will be a shame because the first was an awesome, underappreciated game.
Mass Effect 1 was NOT an under appreciated game, even if it was fantastic. Also, I luuurrrrve most historical/fantasy based games, along with those set in the present/near future (The fallout series and Crysis duo come to mind)

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-09, 10:18 PM

Mass Effect was under apperciated, not by those that played it, but by those that just refuse to play it then say well it looks shit. Some magazines ranked it as an OK game while others ranked it in the top 5 games of the year. For one of the years best games it was under appreciated fr one of the best games of the years and while sales figures were high they were not what you would expect for a game of it's caliber.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-09, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

agreed. mass effect was and still is a great game, easily one of my favourites that was on the 360(even though I have only on the pc) and many people thought it wasn't great. apparently the battle system was people's main problem with it..... Still I loved that large futuristic roaming style it had..... just pure awesome

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-09, 02:10 AM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'm a real whore for Cyberpunk style games. Deus Ex...Near future, believiable, one of the best settings of any game ever. This is not opinion.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode