Is Dawn Of War 2 Any Good? - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

View Poll Results: What do you think of dawn of war 2?
Its Great , better than the original. 32 51.61%
don't like it , original is better. 8 12.90%
they are both about the same. 7 11.29%
Never played it. 15 24.19%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-21-09, 03:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hells_fury View Post
hmm, quick question, does anyone else find the bosses to be over powered.
Boss difficulty goes up by leaps and bounds for the most part; I tried it on normal at first, and the boss wouldn't be to hard (maybe three or four thousand HP) and then tried it on hardest and barely managed a win (health easily doubling that of normal.)

hard and very hard are anything but easy for a reason after all...

I'm currently playing through the game, its pretty fun if not a little repetative in the non major tasks. My friend beat it the other day, after 40 'days' of fighting without support; all I have to say is if you like the campaign as a whole then the final mission may be lacking in what it could have been.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-21-09, 07:40 PM

I finished the campaign last night, and I have to say I enjoyed the ending of this RTS than any other game I have played this past year, including the great plot Gears of War 2 had. My thoughts are all good on it, the game does feel very balanced, Marines do feel very fluffy, and the only thing that leaves me wanting is just some more units. I am very happy that base building is gone. Dawn of War was the fastest RTS I had played when it came out, and the gameplay has only gotten faster without fapping in one's base.

I consider it a major upgrade to the original, and it only feels more fun as the campaign continues.

If anyone wants to do the campaign co-op with me, send me your name, and we can get this rolling.

Last edited by Ishamael; 02-21-09 at 07:43 PM.
post #33 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-23-09, 12:17 AM

arachnid's Flag is: Sweden

Finished up the campaign today, and i must say that i love it!

Been running a few games against the AI, it was a bit tricky to get to grips with the other races at first but i'm warming up to it.

favourite so far must be the 'nids with the Lictor hero, flesh hooks are awesome.

Chaos - It's only fair after all

post #34 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-23-09, 01:41 PM

Cabagepatch's Flag is: USA

I think i game kind of lacks some in usual fluff. Like there are a number of things that imo should have some more stuff to it. Here are a few of them: 1) a galactic map, maybe in the manual, showing where the auqious system is (or whatever it is called). 2) What does the rank (not level) of the commander in campaign mode signify? There aren't any descriptions at all about it. Does it help you accoplish or unlock anything? 3) What exactly are the reasorce nodes? whats the fluff about them? idk...actually kind of dissapointed with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by arachnid View Post
Finished up the campaign today, and i must say that i love it!

Been running a few games against the AI, it was a bit tricky to get to grips with the other races at first but i'm warming up to it.

favourite so far must be the 'nids with the Lictor hero, flesh hooks are awesome.
that guys kicks ass!

Last edited by Cabagepatch; 02-23-09 at 02:40 PM.
post #35 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-24-09, 03:34 AM

gwmaniac's Flag is: USA

To be honest, I find nothing appealing about Dawn of War. Honestly, if I didn't play 40k, I would have never bought the game, I just bought the game for fun and got bored of it within a few weeks. Honestly, it's just like any other strategy game, when I first saw the cover of the game, I actually thought that it was about a superhero fighting robot zombies (robot zombies being the space marines). So really, if you never played 40k or if Dawn of War didn't have 40k stuff and instead had some made up sci-fi guys, would you really like it still???
post #36 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-24-09, 10:42 AM

Mordeth's Flag is: Norway

Yes, I would prob like it, but I doubt I would play is as much or buy it for that matter.
I think DoW is one of the best games ever, and that includes basebuilding. Basebuilding is some of the whole concept, after all, and I like it.
Haven't played DoW II yet, but I'm guessing the concept of the game has changed drastically, and now it prob is more dynamic. Can't wait!

94% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 6% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
95% of teens would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers at the top of a skyscraper about to jump. Copy and paste this if you are part of the 5% that would yell "DO A FLIP!!!"
post #37 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-24-09, 05:53 PM

Cabagepatch's Flag is: USA

ummm yah, DOW2 is unlike DOW in way to many ways to even compare. just an fyi
post #38 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-24-09, 06:52 PM

domdan's Flag is: United Kingdom

i love the second dow game, its way way better than the first. however they are very different. dow 1 was about collecting resources and making an army, the second dow concentrates on more on battles and close firefights, its just more combat based ( you can take cover behind objects). although it did take some thinking about to get installed.
post #39 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-24-09, 11:26 PM

hells_fury's Flag is: Australia

hmm, can someone explain the match making to me, its slow, and when it did get me in a game i, and 4 other players were kicked for causing lag (my net kinda sucks) now to me i though that when it finds a game for you that it would find one where you dont lag. but no, i didnt. so atm i am just playing games through the custom games area, sadly i dont get xp for that

a warning on a crossbow

'It is a serious piece of killing equipment and should not be purchased by children under the age of 9. '

if your bored my MSN is hells_fury@live.com, add me and ill talk with anyone :p

post #40 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-25-09, 01:35 AM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hells_fury View Post
hmm, can someone explain the match making to me, its slow, and when it did get me in a game i, and 4 other players were kicked for causing lag (my net kinda sucks) now to me i though that when it finds a game for you that it would find one where you dont lag. but no, i didnt. so atm i am just playing games through the custom games area, sadly i dont get xp for that
It takes time because it looks for people also looking for a game, who are at a similar level to you. That way, in theory, games are always fair. It's basically the same system as Halo uses. But don't let that put you off.
It also cross references that with network quality. If I'm not mistaken, as opposed to a single host, DoW2 uses a kind of Peer to Peer system that shares the information so the game will continue, even if the original host drops. If you're using Vista or have a firewall active, there will be a limit to open connections allowed, so P2P traffic is severely crippled.
Alternatively, you might just plain have shitty bandwidth.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode