my computer = possessed - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-09, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

as I said above nothing in this house is wireless, and the box is far away from the phoneline so its not attached, and as I say I had and still have no say in our provider for anything, and the person in charge doesn't care.

also I disconnected the speakers when it started doing it again but instead it just came through the tower units puny built in speaker.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-09, 01:47 AM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Ok...that's weird as shit.

How long has it been doing this? Did anything change beforehand, like new hardware, or moving the PC to a different spot?

I guess next time it happens, try unplugging the network cable...maybe it is coming in through your ISP's line.

If the speakers were still powered on but stopped making the sound when disconnected from the computer then it;s probably not coming up the power line, so a new surge protector probably won;t help.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Last edited by Galahad; 02-19-09 at 01:51 AM.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-09, 01:59 AM

ok, here is how you fix all your comp problems...

step one, get a flame thrower
step two, forge a =][= symbol
step three, burn down the comp, speakers, room its in, and the house while screaming something along the lines of "i shall banish you back to the warp foul daemon"
step four, show the local police your =][= badge and they should leave you alone

it sounds like its coming from your internet, if you can unplug the small speaker in your tower, this isnt really needed anyway other than to listen to the fun sounds as a comp dials up to the net. then unplug your speakers unless you need them for games or such. also if you are using a phone modem make sure it has one of the filters on it that keeps odd signals from getting to your comp, these plug into the phone cord from the wall.
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-09, 02:45 AM
Executive Nitpicker

Actually, the PC speaker is an important diagnostic tool. I've had more than one occasion where I've had to count the beeps to tell whether my computer was suffering a processor failure or a motherboard issue when it refused to boot.

Disconnecting it isn't a good idea and wouldn't solve the problem since the sounds come in over the main speakers when they're plugged in.

If you unplug the network cable and the sounds stop it probably is some problem with your ISP, or maybe the municipal phone lines and calling them would be the next thing to do

"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord

post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-09, 02:56 AM

o... my comp never beeps anyway, i just forgot about that part. it came that way, i didnt play with the speaker (that i know of)
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-09, 03:15 AM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Actually, the PC speaker is an important diagnostic tool. I've had more than one occasion where I've had to count the beeps to tell whether my computer was suffering a processor failure or a motherboard issue when it refused to boot.

Disconnecting it isn't a good idea and wouldn't solve the problem since the sounds come in over the main speakers when they're plugged in.

If you unplug the network cable and the sounds stop it probably is some problem with your ISP, or maybe the municipal phone lines and calling them would be the next thing to do
Yeah. Still, I for one am too lazy to plug mine in. Well, that and the fact that i'm considering dicking about and making a silent diag system instead. LEDs instead of the speaker, for silent troubleshooting. Will still give the same diagnostics.
It's sky, so it's an ADSL (Phone) connection. You might want to look at trying a different microfilter in place of the one you (should!) have connected.

Last edited by WoRLoKKeD; 02-19-09 at 03:21 AM.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-09, 03:29 AM
Executive Nitpicker

Some motherboards come with a diagnostic LED set, I know my last MSI board did, it was kinda neat, but required me to get on all fours and crawl behind the computer to figure out the problem versus just hearing the beeps

In any event, a new line filter might do the trick here, if it is coming in over the DSL line.
Remember, the filters go on all your analogue devices (phones, dialup modems, fax machines, etc) not on the line to the ADSL modem.

Last edited by Galahad; 02-19-09 at 03:38 AM.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-09, 03:37 AM
HIz

HIz's Flag is: USA

Its the 10 year old speakers like galahad said. Things wear out it just happens i have some 6 year old ones and they pick up faint static now and again. i really need new ones but everytime im about to spring on some surround sound my car breaks or i want more warhammer.

post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-09, 03:38 AM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Some motherboards come with a diagnostic LED set, I know my last MSI board did, it was kinda neat, but required me to get on all fours and crawl behind the computer to figure out the problem versus just hearing the beeps

In any event, a new line filter might do the trick here, if it is coming in over the DSL line
Some come with them. Those that don't mean I get to play with all wirey gubbins and my soldering iron. I can't help it. I have the hacker mindset. I see perfectly functional technology, and instantly think "Sure, it works perfectly well, but 1) I want to know how and 2) I want to make it better/cooler/flashier 'cause I can"
Besides, if you didn't externally mount it to one of the floppy drive ports, you're not doing it right. ;)

Hell, I'm considering using a mini-fridge and an old 2.4GHz Celeron rig in a glycerine-jelly cooling/overclocking experiment for no reason other than "Well, it's just sitting there doing nothing..."

Sometimes, I think this part of the forum could do with a hardware subsection, but then again, more sections = More to go wrong.

Last edited by WoRLoKKeD; 02-19-09 at 03:46 AM.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-09, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

Quote:
Ok...that's weird as shit.

How long has it been doing this? Did anything change beforehand, like new hardware, or moving the PC to a different spot?
been going on for a few months now, can't remember the exact amount, but it wasn't so bad in the early stages, but it just keeps getting worse, especially before 12pm and after 9pm for some reason, those are the worst time periods.

the only thing that has changed since then was installing a homeworld 2 demo, but it was happening before then, and thats it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIz View Post
Its the 10 year old speakers like galahad said. Things wear out it just happens i have some 6 year old ones and they pick up faint static now and again. i really need new ones but everytime im about to spring on some surround sound my car breaks or i want more warhammer.
if it was just the speakers I could understand, but how can it be just them when the computers built in one picks it up too, and thats not 10+ years old

and I do have filters on my line, well as a matter of fact I had to use 2, its the only way it works, if I only use 1 I can't connect to the internet and both house phones die, and if I use none I can't connect to the net but the phones work

Last edited by Stella Cadente; 02-19-09 at 10:21 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode