Favorite NDS Games - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-09, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Default Favorite NDS Games

I'm really not much of an electronic gamer. Give me paper and dice any day of the week.

I own a first generation NES, and a first generation Sega Genesis (with Master System adapter for my REALLY old games), my newest consoles are an N64 and an original Playstation (not the shrunk down PSOne)

My first handheld was a Sega nomad (no, not Game Gear, the highly obscure Nomad, which was basically a hand-held Genesis that ate 6 AA abtteries every hour but plays all my damned games)

When the GBA came out I largely ignored it because I wasn't a fan of AA powered handhelds after the Nomad forced me to get a wall adapter. And the backlight issues and whatnot, it wasn't work it.

But then the SP came around and, well...I like my SP.

I was slow to take on the DS when it came out, but eventually I bought one (I'm not buying a DSLite though, fuck that shit. Not until my classic DS breaks down or gets lost or stolen)...and I fell in love. I'm a sucker for backwards compatibility.

Anyhow, I've had my DS a while, but I'm still not much of a digital gamer. Lately I've been on kind of a jag though, so I figured I'd share my favorite games for the DS (and the Advance too, since they can play on it)

Golden Sun (GBA)
Probably the best Final Fantasy style RPG ever made for nintendo. It's like a brilliant crossbreed of Final Fantasy and Zelda. 90% of the time you;re basically in 'zelda mode' wandering around talking to random assholes in villages and rearranging bricks and logs and furniture so that you can solve the puzzle and move on to the next area. Many of your abilities can be used out of combat to further this puzzle solving overland navigation sich as breaking rocks and making vines grow, etc.

The best out of combat power though is Telepathy, which made it so the designers basically had to write every single insignificant villager's dialogue twice, to express both what they say and what they're thinking. I love that kind of stuff.

What's the other 10%? Well that's straight up FF-style turn-based menu-fu. Your attacks are based on the jumber, combination and type Djinn your characters have equipped (think of them as combo FF7 Materia and FF8 Guardian Forces).There's an elaborate role/class system based on these combinations, and swapping critters will impact things in a big way. This is complicated, but awesome...it's also perfectly doable just to keep all four members of your team slotted with their favored elemental djnn and play without the mix and match.

The story is good, the maps and puzzles and hidden crap are great, and the graphics are fan-fucking tastic. Some of the big summoning spells areeye-poppingly rendered, rivaling early PS1 games for brilliance and intensity.

There's a sequel which, unfortunately, I never got around to buying, but I hear it's just as fantastic.

Any Given Zelda Game (Both)
Honestly though, I prefer the GBA zelda games to the DS ones I've played. Minish Cap and Link to the Past (and I know that one;s a port of a very old SNES game, but its that good) both rely heavily on puzzles and strategy and classic elements of the original game. Minish cap had a couple extra gadgets and tricks, like the whole shrinky-dink routine, but that just added more depth.

Phantom Hourglass, on the other hand, seems to rely too much on the gimmickry inherent to the DS and less on the things that were fun abot Zelda in general. Sure there are puzzles, but if I find myself giving my gameboy head, or shouting in public so I can blow out a torch or power up something, it's just not what I want to play. And fuck that whole swordfighting with a stylus shit. Oh, and going back to the same goddamned dungeon 50 times in the course of the game...fuck that too.

Still, better than most games ;-) Zelda's still Zelda.

Any Given Kirby Game (Both)
You heard me, the little pink guy whose super-power is literally sucking. It may be a girly game franchise, but it's classic platforming action with a whole set of dynamics that set it apart. Kirby is like a floating, helium-powered Megaman, jacking powers left and right and eating candy and soda for powerups.

There's just something about Kirby games that I really enjoy. Though canvas Curse was another of those ones that relied too heavily on the DS gimmicks. Gone was the free-wheeling suction-action, and in its place was a retarded, slow-motion version of sonic the Hedgehog that required you to draw in half the map.

Granted, once you got used to it it was fun in and of itself, but just not Kirbish enough for me. Fortunately, I also like Sonic he Hedgehog, so it works for me. They got back to their roots with the later Kirby DS games though. Squeak Squad and Superdeluxe Ultra are both great.

[b]Any Given Pokemon Game (Both)[b]
Yeah, seriously.
No, I don't watch the cartoon.
No, I don't play the card game
No, I'm not a pedophile.
It may be heavy on the kiddie-friendly crap, but it's still, bit for bit, a fantastic RPG for a portable format. I've played every generation of pokemon games from the very first, through the color ones, into the GBA and now onto the DS with Diamond. And yeah, they're all the same basic game with the same basic plot and only some new geography and wildlife as the main standouts...but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

As someone who still jonses for the 8-bit days, you have no idea how comforting it is to have a game with zero learning curve. I could have started playing the original gameboy black and white game, gone into cryogenic stasis and come out with Pokemon Diamond and jump back in without missing a beat.

Turn based, save any time...you can literally put this game down at any time without coming back to find out your guys are all dead. As a casual gamer this is golden for me. Plus they're at times intensely frustrating without actually being *hard*. Just stimulating enough to eat my time and distract me, not challenging enough to make me throw it down in frustration and never come back

Plus, as a jaded adult I can see the pokemon world for the dystopic nightmare hellscape that it is. Small children thrown out into the monster-strewn wilderness, forced to savagely beat down whatever monsters they can and force them into gladiatorial cockfighting matches for money and advancement. A world besought by powerful criminal organizations able to run roughshod over the utterly useless local authorities and nonexistant national government...brutal.

This franchise has never fallen prey to the seduction od DS gadgetry. Sure, they added DS finctionality, like having attacks on the bottom screen so you have a bigger display for the actual fight and stat bars, and the poketch gadgets touch screen are neat enough (the new version of the itemfinder is fantastic), but they aren't vital for proper gameplay, they're just pleasant bonuses.

Plus you can name *everything* including your own nemesis character. Oh lord, I pitty the child that ends up getting one of my named pokemon in trade over the internet.

Custom Robo Arena (DS)
I just got this game, and it's fan-fucking tastic.

It's like Armored Core raped Virtual-On and made Pokemon take sloppy seconds.

I'll let that image fester for a moment before explaining...

Alright, here goes.
90% of the game is classic JRPG "Walk around and talk to random fuckers" with really pokemonish theme and plot. Your world runs entirely by a combination of child labor and cockfighting, your goal in life is to be the world's best underage cockfighter ever, and somewhere there's a misguided group of villains who abuse their pocket-sized proxies for the purpose of evil.

So what makes this not pokemon?
Instead of semi-intelligent ani-monsters, everyone has the most kickass action figures known to man. Your cockfighting proxy is a robot, fully equipped to do gruesome single combat, entirely for your amusement and financial advancement.

Rather than turn-based elemental rock paper scisors like pokemon, when the time comes to break out the GI Joe from Hell, you're thrust into a frantic, frenetic, 3-dimensional real-time cage match.

The combat and basic forms of the bots strongly resembles Virtual-On (yes, there's girly robots with titties and pigtails), the combat system is fast, streamlined and extremely user-friendly. Most of the weapons are seekers, and even those that are not at least generally auto-aim, so you can focus on mashing buttons and frantically avoiding the oncoming swarm of smart missiles that pigtailed little bitch just launched at you.

You may be spamming the close-combat button, but your little mech is frantically punching, kicking, body-slamming and judo-flipping the other guy, while his player spams the same button and parries, counterattacks and sweep-kicks.

It looks gorgeous and it plays insanely simple (but not necessarily easy, it can get frustrating).

But where's the Armored Core part of this anime orgy?
That's the 'Custom' part of Custom Robo. There's dozens upon dozens of universal and unique upgrades and weapons that you can slap on as you please to create your ultimate asskicking, button-mashing monstrosity. So you've got something to spend the $2.50 you just beat out of the other kid at school on.

And then you can polish him (yes, you use the touchpad to wax yoru cockfighter-droid...this is required), pose him and take pictures to trade to your friend (this is not required, but the posing is kinda neat)

Only complaint is the RPG aspect is a bit tedious. Get up, eat breakfast, go to school, to awesome shit after school, go home, eat dinner, go to bed, get up, eat breakfast, go to school...etc

But hey, whatever gets you to the cockfight. (I like using that word, suer me)

So what are your favorite portable Nintendo games, and why?

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-09, 01:28 AM

Custom robo arena FTW!! that game is sex on sexy legs made of super sex! I love it.

Also One I'm constantly playing is final fantasy 3. good ol' storyline but the new job system adds a nice twist and custimisation to the game.

Hoshigami - First mission is fun, then it becomes almost impossible with having to take on loads of enemies, who have a level, number and terrain advantage over you. fun though

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-09, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

I;ve been having fun with Custom Robo. You can do single-card multiplayer (albeit with a limited selection of weapons and bots) and I've been kicking my brother's ass with it...and then he turns around and kicks mine.

It's a series of one-sided curbstomps, but we're at a 50/50 ratio of who's assraping the other. I'll come up with a new set of gear or a new tactic and kick his ass wiht it, then he'll come up with a counter and kick my ass.

Quite fun.

"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-09, 01:56 AM

It's like warhammer without the shit part! I really preferred it over the newer pokemon games too... they weren't great

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-09, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

I'm enjoying it more for the moment, but the advantage of the pokemon games is that they're always there, and there's always something else to do. They've generally got more than twice the game hours available as most RPGs, even if a lot of it is spent running around trying to round up rare critters or train up for the elite four

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-09, 02:28 AM

I guess... Suppose I just lost interest in them after a while..... new yu gi Oh game isn't bad either..... worth it if you enjoy the card game definitely....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode