360 Horror Stories - Overstated? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-07, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

360 Horror Stories - Overstated?

I've been toying with the notion of picking up an Xbox 360 for about a year now. The only thing keeping me from buying one (besides the price) has been the worrying amount of horror stories I hear from 360 owners. "It ate my game! The insides melted! Microsoft charged me 150 bucks shipping before they'd repair it, warranty or no!"

Are these legitimate concerns, or are the problems with the 360 overblown? Anyone here have any trouble with their 360? And if so, did Microsoft repair it for you free of charge? There are a lot of nifty 360 games beckoning to me, but I feel funny plopping down enough cash to feed a small third-world village for a month for something that's going to brick in less than a year.

Cheatin' Varmint. Double-Dealer. Stampeding Jackalope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-07, 03:25 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

I have had 1 problem, I once got the 3 lights of doom, I took it back to the store and got it replaced, this ones been alright so far, I think most of the problems are extreme exaggerations in most cases, or PS fanboys , and since its been out for a while now, most of the bugs should be fixed, plus you now have the chance to get the Elite version

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-07, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

It's cool that the shop replaced it. I've had a lot of luck with consoles in the past. When they've broken on me, it was usually my fault or after many years of faithful service. That said, when I get around to buying one, I doubt I'll get the high-end 360. I was planning on the middle-of-the-road model. Should I go ahead and pick up a cooling fan too?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-07, 10:07 AM

torealis's Flag is: United Kingdom

mine's worked fine for 9 months.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-07, 10:19 AM
Slave to Heresy!

Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Mines fucked after a few months.

I started to get a disc unreadable message which became more and more frequent.

Eventually it booted me out of an online game of Fifa 2007 so I picked it up and slammed it a few times in rage (i'm passionate about Fifa).

I personnally wouldn't buy another one javabloodbowl http://fumbbl.com is the only game I play these days. I'm doing pretty well on there with the new screen name

66 wins 8 draws and 7 defeats

My advice is save the money and take up online bloodbowl - if you get hooked you'll never see the need to buy another computer game again. (They're even working on upgrading to LRB5)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-07, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Heh heh, well I DO love Blood Bowl.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-07, 06:10 PM

My kids have a 360 that got the "lights of death" from overheating. they returned it got a new one and installed a cooler to avoid future fooh-pas

Supposedly the elite gets better components, less likely to overheat (but I'd still get a cooling unit)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-07, 07:20 PM

Engelus's Flag is: USA

mine has broken 2x so far, and I don't even play it that much.

~ Engelus
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-07, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

So, EVERYONE that owns a 360 has had serious problems with it? That's disheartening. I still really want one, but I mean, wow. That's some unreliable technology. It's so strange...I never had a spot of trouble with the original Xbox.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-07, 01:47 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

its mainly the 1st batch that has the main problems, and I really do consider it worthwhile getting one, the amount of fun you get playing a high quality game on a big TV is so satisfying.

also it can depend on the way the 360 is stored, allot of people seem to forget ventilation, and insist on playing it on its side, which I would not recommend myself, it'll go better if you lay it flat.

apart from that just look after it and it will last, heck I still have my original PS2 from when it was first released, all because I look after it properly (except the pads, they break in 5 minutes)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode