XCOM- UFO DEFENSE - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-21-07, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Default XCOM- UFO DEFENSE

Honestly, if you haven't heard of XCOM, you've been living under a rock... or weren't born in time to experience this marvel of gaming. It's been named the greatest computer game of all time something like ten different times by assorted gaming authorities, and oddly enough, it has a slightly 40k flavor to it in that you're basically bitchslapping aliens for the good of humanity.

My buddies don't appreciate this blast from the past because of its sorely outdated graphics (although they were pretty damn good for their day) and the fact that you actually have to run a program to slow your computer down just to play the game :lol: but I figure that people who appreciate the finer points of 40k can see the pretty obvious similarities between XCOM and Rogue Trader in the mechanical sense. Some of it's even carried over to the current edition, I think, but there's still definitely influence there.

And if you need any further proof, you can have XCOM operatives in power armour wielding an autocannon with armour-piercing, mass-reactive rounds (*cough* bolter *cough*). And once you get past the funky three-eyed helmet design, the armour even looks vaguely like Space Marine armour, with the oversized shoulder pads and all...

I STILL can't beat the stupid thing on anything much harder than the mid-range difficulty settings, and that's saying something... the AI for XCOM is insane... it puts most AI in current games to utter and complete shame with how smart it is. The game runs on a calendar, and you start typically in August '99. On Superhuman (the hardest difficulty) I can't usually make it past October '99... and from what I've heard, that's an accomplishment in and of itself. Anyone else still addicted to this golden oldie?

ASK ME HOW TO GET 20% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!
My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode