EvE Online - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-13-10, 09:08 PM

Warlokked is the better guy to go to for advice, btw. He's been in for a lot longer than I. Though I've probably beamed more 'roids than he . (Mining is dreadfuly boring, but it's something you can usually do while being mostly AFK).

Cardinal rule of EVE: Never, ever take a ship in to combat you are not willing to lose. Losing a ship can and will happen to everyone.

Mission running is what most folks do when they just start out or what the 'carebears' stick with for the duration of their 'careers'. The PvE side of EVE Online is a pale shadow compared to the PvP environent and the galactic economy. Either way, it's worth decent amounts of in-game cash since most npc pirates have lucrative bounties for their destruction which adds up on top of mission rewards.

Mining, as I said earlier, is pretty damned boring, but it's worth some money if you mine in small fleets, have good mining related skills and can use the refined ore to build stuff. It's mostly important for building ships/ammo for player corporations, etc as it doesn't really pay off otherwise unless you have some serious skill points in it. Either way I only really do this if I'm writing, watching tv or something else at the same time.

Salvaging is what I do for the most part to make respectable amounts of cash. Basically, you can salvage componants out of shipwrecks which can be used in turn to build items. It can get highly competitive becuase a lot of people like to sneak in to your mission areas and ninja shipwrecks out from under you. Cheeky bastards... I was making roughly 100 million isk a week doing this once I got my Battlecruiser up to snuff before I had to stop playing. I can't wait to see what kind of money I can ring in using a Battleship.

But as mentioned, you can use in-game currency to buy gametime (PLEXs). Usually in the ballpark of 300 million isk a pop depending on the market. You won't earn that kind of money for a few months, though, and it's argued that you're better off paying for game-time with actual money depending how much combat you see.

Last edited by Holmstrom; 12-13-10 at 09:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-10, 02:02 AM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

The first part of the newest expansion has brought in the Noctis, a dedicated salvaging ship, so expect salvage value to drop in the near future as the market is flooded with it.

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-10, 12:38 PM

Argh! Those bastards... Well, at any rate, salvaging will still line my virtual wallet a bit as I blow stuff up. How much does that ship go for, anyway? I might as well replace my Destroyer if the price is right and it's all it's cracked up to be.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-10, 10:00 PM

They're piece of shit, paper-hulled bastards that are currently selling for anywhere in the 45-60m bracket.

You have to ask yourself, is the tractor bonus to speed things up by a minute or two REALLY worth that much?

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-10, 11:30 PM

Davidicus 40k's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
They're piece of shit, paper-hulled bastards that are currently selling for anywhere in the 45-60m bracket.

You have to ask yourself, is the tractor bonus to speed things up by a minute or two REALLY worth that much?
Sure, if 45-60m is pocket change for you . For a new player, though, probably not.

"Consequence of Mercy" - Written for KingOfCheese
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-10, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidicus 40k View Post
Sure, if 45-60m is pocket change for you . For a new player, though, probably not.
Bah. You'd be better off sticking with a destroyer anyway.

Hell, a half-decent Cane can suicide a Noctis WAY before Concord show up.

Trust me. ;)

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-10, 12:20 AM

yapyap23's Flag is: USA

I just mine and train, mine and train some more.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-10, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the intel on the Noctis. I probably will stick with the Cormorant, then. Salvaging really doesn't take that long either way and the isk could be best used in my wallet. I don't want to fog up my training regiment with some ORE skills, anyway. I'm just focused on getting my Dominix ready for 'creating' salvage or polishin up my stealth ship related skills.

I'm thinking about going on an expedition in to null-sec to explore and practice my snooping skills without, hopefully, being blown to pieces by an Alliance. Maybe I'll pay the EVE gate and the infamous 2001: Space Odyssey monolith a visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yapyap23 View Post
I just mine and train, mine and train some more.
Don't forget about training.

Last edited by Holmstrom; 12-15-10 at 01:14 PM.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-10, 11:09 PM

Well, you now have x amount of skillpoints reimbursed from your learning skills to spread around as you see fit.

Which has got me comfortably into HACs and Recons for all but Caldari. And fuck Caldari.

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-11-11, 03:10 AM

I'm probably gonna give this game another try in February. I played the 14 day trial before but gave up when my friends stopped playing.
but the good news is that they're gonna start playing again. so time to give it another try.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode