PS3 vs. 360? - Page 9 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-09-09, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Good point Zon( I love rammstein ;-)) I believe the PS3 is designed more for a future market which was too slow coming. Projected estimates 5 years ago had HDTVs all over the place and everything was in HD. Unfortunately for Sony that estimate was a few years behind. I'm happy I bought the 60gb PS3 which is the strongest of them all and I know it will last for the laong haul. 360 however was more of a short fix. for the moment 360 is superior in sales and poularity. in a few years time that could be very different though....

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-09-09, 06:21 PM

Zondarian's Flag is: England

I think that by the time HD really kicks off the new next gen consoles will have come out so XBOX may just about luck out and get away with the worse DVD thing

Do not disallusion yourself brothers, today we die, our bodies broken and our souls shattered, we will be remembered as corpses on a battlefield.Raise hell my brothers for one day our great Father will hear of our struggle, and he will be honoured to call us his Sons. In death our Glory shall become eternal.' Karik Farron, 1st Lord of the Dark Scorchers at the Fall of Kempar.

'like a blind man in a dark room trying to find a black cat that isn't there'-imntdead
post #83 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-09-09, 08:44 PM
Count Arioch's Flag is: USA

Here's my opinion:

The PS3 has superior hardware and a better online capabilities. However, expect to shell out big bucks for backwards compatible units. (They've discontinued backwards compatibility for PS2 games completely, and the ones that were are expensive. A used 60g PS3 costs more than a new 160 gig PS3 due to perceived rarity.) Also, loading times are a pain on a PS3.

The Xbox is bargain priced now. Also, they don't crater like they used to, the models that are out now don't have the overheating issues. (Before people jump and and complain that theirs broke multiple times, you aren't getting new ones back. You're getting refurbished ones to replace the ones that got the red ring. Which means that it'll do it again more than likely. If you bought a new one, it wouldn't do that unless it was sitting on the shelf before purchase for a very long time.)

Really, if you have the cash, I'd go PS3. I do not, so I went 360. Oh, and the PS3 won't be around any longer than the 360. If Microsoft puts out an Xbox 720, then there will be a Playstation 4 soon after. That's how it works.
post #84 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-09-09, 09:03 PM

when mine got the red ring( my fault I left it on for 4 weeks while i was on holiday) i got told xbox sent them mine and 4 days after I got an email saying they had reseaved mine I got a brand new one sent through the post.

Do not disallusion yourself brothers, today we die, our bodies broken and our souls shattered, we will be remembered as corpses on a battlefield.Raise hell my brothers for one day our great Father will hear of our struggle, and he will be honoured to call us his Sons. In death our Glory shall become eternal.' Karik Farron, 1st Lord of the Dark Scorchers at the Fall of Kempar.

'like a blind man in a dark room trying to find a black cat that isn't there'-imntdead
post #85 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-10-09, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Ha lucky bastard ;D. When my one went first it took them around 2 weeks to send the stickers out, 2 weeks to get a courier out to collect, then 4 weeks to get it back to me. That's how it's done in Ireland anyway and even after all that they sent me back my own 360, I recorded the serial number for such an occurence, and they did nothing with it. It was still as faulty as ever. after that they gave me a new model instead of a refurbish. That went kaput after another 2 months.... It coudl be that the Ireland service is crap though....

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!
post #86 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-10-09, 06:57 AM
The Omnipotent

CaptainFatty's Flag is: Australia

i reckon killzone 2 will change things...maybe

I am the devourer of worlds and the plunderer of planets. I am the bane of races, the destroyer of intelligence. I am the omnipotent and you will all bow before me.
post #87 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-10-09, 10:16 AM

I bought my PS3 because of that game. Originally they suggested that Killzone 2 would be out within a year of the PS3's release so I bought one, and then they said it had suffered serious delays, so my PS3 has just sat there barely ever being used and when it is its usually used by mates and not myself. Worst £400 I ever spent, but it is good for my movies

post #88 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-16-09, 08:20 PM

silverhawk11011's Flag is: Canada

PlayStation 3 Specifications and Details

Product name: PLAYSTATION 3

CPU: Cell Processor

* PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
* 1 VMX vector unit per core
* 512KB L2 cache
* 7 x SPE @3.2GHz
* 7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
* 7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* * 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU: RSX @550MHz

* 1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
* Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
* Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound: Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)

Memory:

* 256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
* 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth:

* Main RAM: 25.6GB/s
* VRAM: 22.4GB/s
* RSX: 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
* SB: 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance: 2 TFLOPS

Storage:

* HDD
* Detachable 2.5” HDD slot x 1

I/O:

* USB: Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
* Memory Stick: standard/Duo, PRO x 1
* SD: standard/mini x 1
* CompactFlash: (Type I, II) x 1

Communication: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x3 (input x 1 + output x 2)

Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11 b/g

Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller:

* Bluetooth (up to 7)
* USB2.0 (wired)
* Wi-Fi (PSP®)
* Network (over IP)

AV Output:

* Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
* HDMI: HDMI out x 2
* Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
* Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

CD Disc media (read only):

* PlayStation CD-ROM
* PlayStation 2 CD-ROM
* CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW
* SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD
* DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)

DVD Disc media (read only):

* PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM
* PLAYSTATION 3 DVD-ROM
* DVD-Video: DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW

Blu-ray Disc media (read only):

* PLAYSTATION 3 BD-ROM
* BD-Video: BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

X-Box 360

Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU

* Three symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each
* Two hardware threads per core; six hardware threads total
* VMX-128 vector unit per core; three total
* 128 VMX-128 registers per hardware thread
* 1 MB L2 cache

CPU Game Math Performance

* 9.6 billion dot product operations per second

Custom ATI Graphics Processor

* 10 MB of embedded DRAM
* 48-way parallel floating-point dynamically scheduled shader pipelines
* Unified shader architecture

Polygon Performance

* 500 million triangles per second

Pixel Fill Rate

* 16 gigasamples per second fill rate using 4x MSAA

Shader Performance

* 48 billion shader operations per second

Memory

* 512 MB of 700 MHz GDDR3 RAM
* Unified memory architecture

Memory Bandwidth

* 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
* 256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM
* 21.6 GB/s front-side bus

Overall System Floating-Point Performance

* 1 teraflop

Storage

* Detachable and upgradeable 20-GB hard drive
* 12x dual-layer DVD-ROM
* Memory Unit support starting at 64 MB

I/O

* Support for up to four wireless game controllers
* Three USB 2.0 ports
* Two memory unit slots

Optimized for Online

* Instant, out-of-the-box access to Xbox Live features with broadband service, including Xbox Live Marketplace for downloadable content, gamer profile for digital identity, and voice chat to talk to friends while playing games, watching movies, or listening to music
* Built-in Ethernet port
* Wi-Fi ready: 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g
* Video camera–ready

Digital Media Support

* Support for DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG Photo CD
* Ability to stream media from portable music devices, digital cameras, and Windows XP-based PCs
* Ability to rip music to the Xbox 360 Hard Drive
* Custom playlists in every game
* Built-in Media Center Extender for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
* Interactive, full-screen 3-D visualizers

High-Definition Game Support

* All games supported at 16:9, 720p, 1080i and 1080p, with anti-aliasing
* Standard-definition and high-definition video output supported

Audio

* Multi-channel surround sound output
* Supports 48KHz 16-bit audio
* 320 independent decompression channels
* 32-bit audio processing
* Over 256 audio channels

Physical Specs

* Height: 83 mm
* Width: 309 mm
* Depth: 258 mm
* Weight: 7.7 lbs.

System Orientation

* Stands vertically or horizontally

Customizable Faceplates

* Interchangeable to personalize the console

It speaks for itself. All in all some of the main points why I would never buy the 360.

#1. No blu-ray player. The picture quality is better then most stand alone blu-ray players, and is equal to some of the most expensive stand alone players.

#2. Backwards compatibility 100%. Some people say the picture quality goes to crap playing ps1 games but this is false, matter of fact the picture quality is better due to the up scaling.

#3. Up scaling. Even those classic dvd's look better on the ps3. or Ps1 / Ps2 games.

#4. FREE ONLINE PLAY... FREE ONLINE PLAY!!!!

#5. Wi-Fi / Blu-Tooth. Such a wonderful thing. Not having to purchase a seperate corded or uncorded headset. Unless you dont already own a blu-tooth headset.

#6. SD and Compact Card readers. Transfer your photos onto your hard drive. Create slide shows you can watch on your tv with ease.

Yes the game selection on the x-box is much for extensive at this point, but they will soon catch up.

Hell is what we live in.
Heaven is what we make of it.
post #89 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-16-09, 08:26 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zondarian View Post
but it is good for my movies
thats not all, its good for resting cups on, or using as a stopper to make sure your 360 games don't fall over stacked on the shelf, and that stupid lip is great for holding Bourbon biscuits.

post #90 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-16-09, 10:18 PM

All that technology to not be able to make better games, what a shame. The XBOX makes the best games and thats why I prefer it to my ps3. I like to get the best technology, i dont care if its all in one console. I'd rather by the best console and the best blu-ray player seperately than having an ok console and an ok blu ray player all in one, the worst bit is the ps3 doesnt recognise my surround sound but my XBOX does, nothing beats online surround sound gaming

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode