What makes a game for you? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-08, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Default What makes a game for you?

Just wondering what aspects of a game appeals to you? is it the story, the action, the characters, the music any seperate part of a game that gets you hooked or does the seperate parts mean nothing to you and having it all together just attract you to it?

For me it's the story in RPGs. I just love those deep enthralling stories with fantasy creatures and twists galore.... That's why I love oblivion, the Witcher and the final fantasy series....

So what is it for you guys?

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-08, 11:22 AM

Damned Fist's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
I just love those deep enthralling stories
That's 99% of it for me too. I love the stories!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-08, 11:45 AM

EndangeredHuman's Flag is: United Kingdom

For me, I cannot get into any game where I don't give a crap about the surrounding or characters, that's why alot of fantasy has never appealed to me. So what if King Boola or the Kingdom of Rara requests some task? Do I know him? Does the character have a decent reason? Does it offer me any story, or is it simply for XP and gold? That's the main problem I have with anything fantasy related gaming wise. I love everyone on screen having a purpose, or, atleast some sort of personality and connection to a deep, winding story. Even if the gameplay is great and original, it won't be anything without a superb story and cast.

1500pts Celestial Lions
1000pts Warboss Judge Skull'Umper
500pts Vostroyan & Cadian 119th
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-08, 12:11 PM

Blackhiker's Flag is: USA

What makes a game for me is a good story surrounding everything you do and options. I personally do not like games much were you have only one path to travel.

If a child asks how Santa lives forever, simply reply he drinks blood.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poke me in the ribs and cackle, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started to do the same thing to them at funerals.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-08, 04:32 PM

cooldudeskillz's Flag is: United Kingdom

for me everything is important, if one bit is crap then the game becomes crap

Daemons
W:9 D:0 L:0

Chaos Marines
W:21 D:2 L:3

If you want peace.....prepare for war!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-08, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

but then again I do enjoy games where it's just mindlessly beautiful killing. Toay I've played final fantasy VII ( 2nd best selling game on the ps1) for it's brilliant storyline, even though nowadays it starts to show it's age, and then I started playing gears of war 2 (the perks of working in gamestop) and the sheer beauty of ripping something apart with a chainsaw bayonet just gives me a semi

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-08, 07:37 PM

beenburned's Flag is: United Kingdom

I can forgive pretty much anything as long as the gameplay is good. Oblivion was a bit rubbish for me, because the scaled combat ruined it for me, even though I love the world Bethesda have created. Then you look at TF2 and the only thing really going for it is the gameplay...but I love it (as do many people it seems).

Only the best games have good storylines and graphics and stuff (although graphics are obviously relative to the time period) though. I'd cite the Half Life series as an example of that, or even better, Deus Ex.

Yeah htinking about it, Deus Ex is my favourite game ever I think. You have a great story, with fantastic multi-faceted gameplay with plenty of options on how you want to play it. Graphics could obviously be better now, but I'm just going to hold my breath for Deus Ex 3 to rectify that.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-08, 12:43 AM

surreal-mind's Flag is: Australia

good challenging gameplay which isnt repeditive mindless tasks for rpgs (NOT world of warcraft)
balanced, but unique races for rts games (starcraft and hopefully starcraft 2)
fast paced and decent weapons that arnt under or over powered with good power ups for fps (yet to find one like that :'(]
fun and fast paced (ssbb)
and most of all, the game takes itself seriously ( i hate adventure quest and the other games from that company beause of this)
and most of all, free online play (makes a good game but it doesnt mean i dont pay for mmorpgs )

Seven, That is all.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-08, 03:50 AM

NerdyOgre254's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Reevan View Post
and the sheer beauty of ripping something apart with a chainsaw bayonet just gives me a semi
Really didn't need to know that.

Before i bought a 360, games were all about the story they could tell. if the story of a game was good, then i could ignore most of the faults in the actual gameplay itself.
As a case in point, i played through Final Fantasy 8, dealt with the whingeing stupid tryhard main character, because all the other characters were great, and if the other characters weren't as good then i would have broken the game in half. It was basically like banging my head against a wall for about forty hours straight.

Since i bought my 360, a story is still the main thing, but i can play through games more than once.
why, i hear you ask?
Achievements.
Oh god, i'm such an achievement addict. That said, the only game i have gotten all the achievements for is Bioshock. damn good game that.

On the subject of Rat Ogres:
But if we give them laser eyes and mounted guns, we'll have to bring in Clan Skryre, and everyone knows how much those limp-tailed snuff addicts overcharge.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-08, 11:44 PM

hells_fury's Flag is: Australia

freedom to do what i want when i want where i want
ability to change difficulty in game for when i want it on easy so i can be a DC
fun mini games
BRUTAL multiplayer

a warning on a crossbow

'It is a serious piece of killing equipment and should not be purchased by children under the age of 9. '

if your bored my MSN is hells_fury@live.com, add me and ill talk with anyone :p

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode