What makes a game for you? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-08, 12:06 AM
Banned
LeeHarvey's Flag is: USA

First I want to say, good thread topic.

I like the games that are open ended and have almost infinite playability, games like Oblivion and Morrowind. RPG's were you can make a character and play for 700+ hours with him/her and never get bored. The really awesome thing about the elder scrolls games is thier mod-ability. The fact that Bethesda created and released construction sets for the games makes them virtually unlimited in the amount of storytelling, playability, customization and immersiveness. If your computer is capable and you have the correct software, Oblivion can be made to your whim. You can create custom weapons and equipement, NPCs, quests, environments, pretty much everything to look and play exactly as you want it too.

I have a preference for first person games. Not just Oblivion, I like FPS games, I am itching to get Fallout3, and Battlefield 2 has been on my 'currently playing' list since I bought it. As well as the newer Frontlines: Fuel of War. That has some pretty nice visuals and is fun to play, but it lacks the sheer openness and versatility of the Battlefield games, it's a bit more linear and in some ways limited. It definitely has a good story though.

Dawn of War and it's expansions is the only RTS game that I can say I really enjoy playing since I got bored with Starcraft. All I can say really is that it's 40K. I like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-08, 12:10 AM
KellysGrenadier's Flag is: England

Good characters, enthralling with faults and all, are good. Solid Snake and his supporting team, Squall (who, I thought was badass at the time. Now I see he's a little bitch of an emo bitch).

And... I don't know. The uniqueness of Harvest Moon: Back to Nature. The story and characters of Final Fantasy 8 and Metal Gear Solid. The addictive qualities and music of Road Rash I, II and III. The beautifully, sorely-missed innocence of Sonic the Hedgehog and Klonoa. The odd, slightly morbid but light-hearted humour of Worms.

What 'makes' a game to me is largely undefined.

Operor Vel Intereo
- Kellashian 1st Drop Troop Grenadiers motto
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-08, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

I love the games that alow you and promote modding as well lee. Games like unreal tournament, the elder scrolls basically any PC game. It is also very helpful for my college course (games development). Plus it adds a whole new aspect to the game. it becomes more personal and attached to you.....

Any other thoughts?

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-08, 07:25 PM

beenburned's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHarvey View Post
First I want to say, good thread topic.

I like the games that are open ended and have almost infinite playability, games like Oblivion and Morrowind. RPG's were you can make a character and play for 700+ hours with him/her and never get bored. The really awesome thing about the elder scrolls games is thier mod-ability. The fact that Bethesda created and released construction sets for the games makes them virtually unlimited in the amount of storytelling, playability, customization and immersiveness. If your computer is capable and you have the correct software, Oblivion can be made to your whim. You can create custom weapons and equipement, NPCs, quests, environments, pretty much everything to look and play exactly as you want it too.

I have a preference for first person games. Not just Oblivion, I like FPS games, I am itching to get Fallout3, and Battlefield 2 has been on my 'currently playing' list since I bought it. As well as the newer Frontlines: Fuel of War. That has some pretty nice visuals and is fun to play, but it lacks the sheer openness and versatility of the Battlefield games, it's a bit more linear and in some ways limited. It definitely has a good story though.

Dawn of War and it's expansions is the only RTS game that I can say I really enjoy playing since I got bored with Starcraft. All I can say really is that it's 40K. I like it.
You are remarkably similar in gaming preference to me. Kudos.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-08, 03:39 AM
The Traveler

Dirge Eterna's Flag is: USA

I have a list that I look for.

10: Backstory- No jumping into WWII! Who is your character? Where is he/she from? How did he/she get there?

9: Developer- Effort? Well-known? Lots of $$ to make kool things happen in-game?

8: Sequels- I can never let the story end. (Curse you, Halo 3! Curse you!)

7: Enemies- Boring? Amazing? Scary? Fun to shoot limbs off of?

6: Graphics- Kool? Sux? How do screens look? Gameplay movies?

5: Sound- Can't have an MA5C sound like a Plasma Pistol, can we?

4: World- Is this place cool to fight in? Do the enemies fit the setting? Camoflague?

3: Allies- There is nothing worse then your friend shooting you in the back, with a rocket. Do they have good AI? Can they shoot straight?

2: Scenery- A game is nothing, IMO, without it's enviornment. Dark? Gloomy? Dead Space? Light? Cheery? Forests, Deserts, High Charity? Oh, and can you blow all of this up too?

1: Customization!- I love to be able to shape my own character, and hardly ever play a game that I cannot have a say in how he/she/it looks. Halo 3 was a big step up from Halo 2 (Elite Commando Armor FTW!!!), and Vegas 2 was one of the best customized shooters I've seen. This is my number one point. Can I make my guy look like Dr. Evil?

You'll forgive me, but you must be mistaken. I've met your makers, and they don't even know your name...

GIVING CHASE- ORDO HERETICUS FIC
(Updated Mar. 19)

Hat in the Ring

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode