looking to buy a 360 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-03-08, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Ex Mod.

cccp's Flag is: Great Britain

Default looking to buy a 360

hi guys, im looking to buy 360 and wanted a bit of advice on what kind of price im looking at, what accessories to get, good games and that kind of thing.

any help much appreciated, as i know there are a fair few hidden costs involved in getting it up and running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-03-08, 07:49 PM

hells_fury's Flag is: Australia

dont know much but if you enjoy rpgs get fable 2, everyones been raving on about it since it came out, for fps's prob cod4/5 and halo. thats about all i know for 360

a warning on a crossbow

'It is a serious piece of killing equipment and should not be purchased by children under the age of 9. '

if your bored my MSN is hells_fury@live.com, add me and ill talk with anyone :p

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-03-08, 07:55 PM

Casual_T's Flag is: USA

XBOX Live is a must, at $60.00 USD a year, it's also a good bargain. If you have a wireless network and want your 360 to connect wirelessly, you'll be dropping $100.00 USD on the adapter. Also, a play and charge kit for your controller is a must, and another controller at $50.00 USD for the wireless.

I do not recommend getting the arcade, in the beginning it may seem like a good idea... but, it has no hard drive space and you can't use most of the features of XBOX Live. Also the Arcade does not come with a piece of Eathernet cable for hooking up to XBOX Live and does not come with a piece of HDMI cable for full HD, and that can be expensive depending on what quality cable you get.

My recommendation would be the Elite. I own one and I really like it, I feel good knowing I will never run out of space and I can just go and download anything. Also, if you care, the Elite only comes in black. So if you're really worried about it matching your home theatre, keep that in mind. Also the 120 Gb hard drive is good if you want to store a lot of music on your 360.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-03-08, 08:48 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual_T View Post
XBOX Live is a must, at $60.00 USD a year, it's also a good bargain. If you have a wireless network and want your 360 to connect wirelessly, you'll be dropping $100.00 USD on the adapter. Also, a play and charge kit for your controller is a must, and another controller at $50.00 USD for the wireless.

I do not recommend getting the arcade, in the beginning it may seem like a good idea... but, it has no hard drive space and you can't use most of the features of XBOX Live. Also the Arcade does not come with a piece of Eathernet cable for hooking up to XBOX Live and does not come with a piece of HDMI cable for full HD, and that can be expensive depending on what quality cable you get.

My recommendation would be the Elite. I own one and I really like it, I feel good knowing I will never run out of space and I can just go and download anything. Also, if you care, the Elite only comes in black. So if you're really worried about it matching your home theatre, keep that in mind. Also the 120 Gb hard drive is good if you want to store a lot of music on your 360.
For wireless, if you can find one, get the Belkin gaming adapter. It can run off two USB slots or mains power, it can also be used for PC, PS3, and any other wireless device with Ethernet, and it's half the price of the M$ one.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-03-08, 10:53 PM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

I have the Halo 3 Edition Xbox and I like it, it has built in HDMI which IMHO is a must now a days. Make sure your XBox is a newer one with the new hardware, it is less likely to Redring.

Fable 3, Halo 3, Spore, etc are all pretty much required for games, and do yourself a favor and get the chargable battery set.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-08, 02:18 AM

Fenrakk101's Flag is: USA

I can't tell you much about XboX Live, but I do know that the 360 is great for RPG's. I have Fable 2, Halo 3, Assassin's Creed, DMC 4, F.E.A.R., etc. All good man, all good.

My Adoptables
This is my YouTube page
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-08, 02:19 AM

Casual_T's Flag is: USA

Spore is not available on the 360.

Good luck finding a Mjolnir 360 anymore, may be able to order it off newegg.

I was under the impression that ONLY the MS wireless adapter would work, but I did not do much research because my 360 is about 6" from my router, so I run a wire.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-08, 02:20 AM

gwmaniac's Flag is: USA

well, the basic console is $200, but that's the most basic one, but I'm not much of a help on other stuff. I'm not much of a gamer, so all we have is a wii, and i don't even play it! sorry, wish i could help and i hope this didn't sound like a spam
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-08, 07:26 AM

NerdyOgre254's Flag is: Australia

Let me see if i can wrack my brain here, and remember how much i paid for mine:
From memory, my 360 Arcade cost $300. a good cheapie. doesn't have HDMI. i bought this because it was in my price range, and it was on sale, and i was the first person to get one in my town. not bad, considering that there are about 80,000 people living here.
Standard Console costs about $450. it has a hard drive and HDMI, and a 20GB hard drive.
Elite Pack costs about $750, but you get two games and a 120GB hard drive. and it's black.

Once you purchase the console, i suggest you get the Play and Charge kit. it allows you to link your controller to the USB ports on the 360, and charge as you play.

If you play lots of games with friends, extra controllers are a must. that said, if you are going to buy a wireless controller, get the Play and charge kit with it.

batteries suck, as the ones that the Xbox controller uses are not the same size as the ones you get at the local supermarket. sure, it uses AA batteries, but the ones i bought on the cheap were smaller than the ones they normally used, and they tended to rattle loose while playing.
but i digress.

I can't say much about Xbox Live, as i don't have the necessary cable or friendly parents (yay for parents!) to play online.

As for games, i would recommend Dead Space (check my review), Halo 3, Gears of War, and Dead Rising.

As a general rule for good games, go to IGN (www.ign.com) and look at the games rated 8 or above.

hope i've helped.

On the subject of Rat Ogres:
But if we give them laser eyes and mounted guns, we'll have to bring in Clan Skryre, and everyone knows how much those limp-tailed snuff addicts overcharge.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-08, 09:49 AM

Okay I work in gamestop And bought one recently ( third one too. the other two died) and These are the prices in euros.
arcade- no hard drive, 256mb memory card, wireless controller- 180 euro
premium - 60gb hard drive, wireless controller, arcade games saved on hard drive - 240
elite - black console, 120gb hard drive - 325

all have HDMI out now and depending on where you buy them you can get the game for free. Gears is an online must and it only coasts around 10, if you're into the Fps games the 360 is the job, it also has a lot of rpgs and decent racers. It's currently the cheapest next gen console and it does have it's problems but the red ring of death is starting to fade away. It's not gone but it's not as common....

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode